Don't care what anyone says... Marshall hit a HOME RUN with the Vintage Modern.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axeplyr, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

I know, flame me if you will. I know a few people have expressed displeasure with this one. But I just played thru yet another VM half stack at the local store - 2466 100w head and 425A slant cab, and that amp was positively GLORIOUS. Not even cranked up all that loud - new Gibby SG plugged in - all warm, fat, tremendous thump in the bass, cirpy/springy response from chords and single-not lines. It was old Angus all the way.

I own a couple of great amps - a 65 SoHo and a JCM800 2204 / 1960A G12-65 cab, and I was about to pull out my credit card on this one.

Who knows - maybe I'm tone deaf. But I'm seeing major endorsements rolling in too on this one - Slash, Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, etc - I think this one is going to be the next classic.

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

You deaf man ?? Only kiddin ! Whatever floats your boat, is right for you. Personally, I'm a VM critic, but I know we're all looking for different things, and tones, in an amp. Glad you like it.

3. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I just played a JVM 2 channel 50 watter and I really liked it too

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

I was interested in the Vintage Moderns when they came out. IIRC there was a thread here where they took a terrible thrashing ... oh the humanity ... it will be interesting to see how they are treated this time around.

:argue

:rolleyes:

5. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

If it works for you go for it. Tone is was too subjective and personal. Thats whay theres a million amps to choose from. If you plug in to it and it feels and sounds right and you can play your best with it...it compliments you and your style its a winner. :BEER

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

The thing for me is that there are better built amps with higher quality componentry, both PTP and PCB, that sound as good and better out there. Aside from tone, part of the allure of an amp for me is the build quality and attention to detail.

I do agree that they sound great, but I know of more amps that I like much better.

Emee

7. 5E3

5E3 Member

^^^^ Good point. For some though, having an authentic Marshall is part of the allure.

(I'll probably get flamed for saying that) :hide

8. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

There OK but I like the JVM's better.

9. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Marshall has and has always had great sounding amps ( and a few stinkers ) but what Marshall really needs to do is build more quality into their amps and live up to thier name . My understanding from a top notch amp tech/amp builder is a lot of problems with Marshall now is due to the use of inferior components ( probably Chinese or elswere if it's cheap ) and poor layout of the chassis on some amps like the DSL/TSL series making them difficult to work on and diagnose problems .
    For what Marshall is charging for some of their "flagship" amps they should be on top of quality control more . They should build top quality amps for the pro players and if they want to build entry level quality in others then place those in a different series ment just for that market , don't sacrifice one for the other .

Good to sell using the famous name but build quality gear worthy of it too . :bow

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

It's been my experience that the main people concerned with build quality are posters on Internet boards, not the pros so much. I know alot of local gigging musicians that don't care one bit about the high quality components or build method used.

Also, Neil Schon, Richie Sambora, Gary Moore, Slash, Frank Hannon, Bruce Kulick, etc.., etc..., etc... have toured the world with these "inferior" modern Marshall amps. Just sayin...

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I've played one that sounded killer, and 4 others that sounded bad.... all the bad ones sounded like the bias was off....

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Ehh, no Thump, I am not just an internet poster. I gig too.

Though I do not have any roadies that take care of my gear for me, and have backups ready, and etc. etc.....

That said, I am quite certain that the two off the shelf Fender tube amps that I have owned, that BOTH went down, have helped me formulate my opinion.

Emee

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I didn't mean to imply you didn't gig.

I meant that MOST of the people I know that care about build quality seem to be online posters. I think there are tens of thousands of musicians out there in the world that gig all the time with regular production models from Fender, Marshall, Peavey, Crate, etc... that don't know or even care about the build quality we all like to talk about here on the boards.

14. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

I like the sound the newer Marshalls produce, but I have had trouble with their build quality (mostly the TSL series).
    I know this sounds curmudgeonly, but I could do without all those knobs, in favor if things like noise free channel switches, heavy duty PCB's, and spring reverb.
    Just a little quality control in the design would go a long way with Marshall.

15. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

To each there own.

I think the VM are decent cranked but terrible overall. Just about all the dealers that carry the VM are either sending them back to Marshall or blowing them out.

Oh and endorsements mean nothing...

The JVMs are much better for a modern muti-channel amp. Although it was a much better deal when it first came out before the exchange rate and price increase.

16. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Earned my knowledge way back and one thing I learned is a name brand doesn't mean anything if the gear they build isn't realiable and they don't live up to what is expected from them in building reliable gear .

And yes , endoresments mean very little . What you see might not be what you hear ;)

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Okay, you guys got me. It's true that the guys I listed above really could never use a Marshall amp. I mean, they don't even stay powered up long enough to get through a gig before blowing up. My bad... <rollseyes>

18. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

You are exaggerating what has been stated , take a breath and relax .

Pro gear has usually been gone over/modified or what's supposed to be in the box isn't really in the box or what you are seeing/hearing isn't .

Say no more...nudge...nudge...wink...wink ;)

19. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Oh paaaalease... I'm about as far from being "upset" as possible. And I had Schon's Marshall DSL in my possession for a week and the only mod was a fan. lol...

Honestly, it doesn't matter. I have alot of experience with alot of different gear and I know what I like and what works. :)

20. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

+1000. I played one at a local store that I thought sounded pretty darn good. When I saw Velvet Revolver I thought slash sounded pretty darn good, too. I know he has Jubilees in his setup, as well, but the VM's must be pretty decent in HIS opinion if he wanted to add them to his rig to go along side those Jubilees.