Don't forget to change your strings.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coxswain, Feb 20, 2008.

1. coxswain

coxswain Member

Gear dudes,

Just wanted to remind everyone to change their strings!! I just changed mine and man has my amp and tone have come alive. Everything is more dynamic and the notes jump off the strings. The difference was especially huge on the gain channels of my egnater! The lows were puncyh and rich whereas before they were mudy and un articulated.

I'm sure everyone knows this... but if you have in awhile...change your strings. THis made as much of a difference as a new cab, a new pedal, and certaintly a new cable. :RoCkIn:BEER:crazy

Chase

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

This is something I have to remind myself over and over because I no longer play 5 or 6 nights a week like I use to. Strings get tired like we do, and they sound tired.

3. coxswain

coxswain Member

My strings were tired, they were on their death bed!

P.S. My strings were 4 years old. I know I know I know...but I hadn't been playing electric throughout college and I just got back into playing electric.

Chase

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Happens to me all the time. I start thinking that my guitar sounds a little dull and I think that I'm going through a slump or something. Then the light bulb comes on and afterwards, I feel like I just got a new amp or something.

5. es125luv

es125luv Member

I have been using the Danny Gatton method... keep 'em on for ever, and then simply pour some beer on them for "freshness".

6. jspax7

jspax7 Member

New strings are essential for lively tone and intonation. When I was gigging every weekend, I changed them every week.

It's the first thing I do when my tone isn't happening.

7. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I use DDarrio, they stay in pitch all the way until they break.

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

I actually prefer slightly older strings. 4 years is rather excessive I will admit !
    I don't like the brightness of the first 5 hours or so of a new set of strings.

9. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

I change mine when one breaks....normally either the B or E string breaks first....

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I change mine as each one breaks! lol! I hate to admit it but Im constantly breaking various strings probably at the rate of 1 a week. It from using my locking trem a lot. The strings get worn at the saddle and break after enough bends. Bob

11. Tinman

Tinman Member

Will changing the strings void the warranty on the guitar?

12. Billy Blooze

Billy Blooze Member

That reminds me - I must change my strings this weekend - way overdue !

13. alivegy

alivegy Member

I usually change my strings once a month or so, once they start getting dull.

14. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

I change my strings before each and every gig. No exceptions. Buying in bulk means that at 3.90 per set, it is cheap insurance against breaking on that one golden note of that awesome solo, and they always sound great. No if I didn't gig, that would be a another story.

15. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I sat down last night with my acoustic, ready to change my strings, when I just ended up playing and playing...guess those strings weren't quite dead yet. Saved that fresh pack for another day.

16. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Next time you change strings, stick one of those oil change date reminder cling on deals on your headstock :)

17. reeced

reeced Member

Good idea. What I do is cut out the front card of the string packet and write on the back the date and the guitar they were fitted on.

Can't remember where I read it, but someone once said that if you change strings and there's a big sound difference, then you've left it too long.

(Maybe someone could invent colour-changing strings ?)

18. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Ah yes, finally, something that helps tone and doesn't cause headaches! Thanks!

19. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

:rollThanks, I needed that.

I thought I was bad. The last time I changed strings on my #1 I realized they'd been on the guitar around 6 months. That was about 3 months ago. Hmmm....

20. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

great thread. would read again! + + + + + +