Don't hate to say I told you so

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Whittlez, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

Well dollar is buying 108 Yen right now

I was POUNDING THE TABLE at 120+ to convert over to buy MIJ guitars

The dollar has lost 10% value vs the yen, which means MIJs are now more expensive

Unless you converted for the hedge against currency risk!!!

Could go back sub 80 or back up to 120

Nobody knows

But I did know it was free $$$ at 120 and I hope some took advantage!!!

Those of you who bought MIJ's at 120 ¥/$ embrace the solid 10% appreciation in a couple of months!!!

I'm no longer pounding the table

MIJ's are decent value at 108 but unless you have some USD's converted to Yen at 120 to invest? Id say it's just 'ok' right now at 108

mustard, MrLahey and peskypesky like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

When I was in Thailand, around 1997.
    Their entire economy figuratively crapped its pants.

Months later, some of the government folks, who knew the crap was about to hit the fan, were bringing their money back in from Australia & buying up properties & automobiles.
    Basically, what happened was that they sent their money offshore, before the crapstorm.
    One of those people, who probably profited the most from that insider trading, would later become the prime minister.

I had buddies who bought houses and automobiles as well, with their already existing GBP or USD from abroad.

Meanwhile, I bought a new pickup truck TWO weeks before the economy hit the crapper, with money I brought in from home.
    I could have literally saved THOUSANDS of dollars if I had just waited two weeks.

BTW, the laws changed, about currency, in Thailand after that, and sending a large sum of Thai Baht offshore is really tough.

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear some of you are doing so well with your MIJ guitar portfolios. Your kids can go to college now!

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

So are you saying that I missed out on getting some random Japanese built guitar that I couldn't first see, hear, hold, play, quickly and easily return, or even have a nuanced discussion about with a skilled sales professional ... for a few percent less than I could today? I will definitely lose sleep over this one.

5. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I ignored your advice and instead, put $15k in an S&P500 index ETF in January, when the market was tanking. I've made $1400 on it since then. Enough to buy that used Yngwie Malmsteen Strat I've been wanting. BUT, I won't buy it. I own 7 Strats already. Will just watch and see if that investment grows enough to buy me a trip to Thailand later this year.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Torren61, Rob Taft, Thedude99 and 4 others like this.
  6. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I wish I was smart enough to understand this stuff

7. nightbird

nightbird Member

Alright! Yet another post from Whittlez on how to cut out the American dealers and Ma & Pa stores that carry MIJ guitars by ordering straight from Japan. You must be so proud. As long as you get yours, right?

gibsonES330 likes this.
  8. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

:rotflmaoOh man this made me laugh out loud. I picture you slamming your fist repeatedly and yelling the bolded part in dictator-esque fashion. Then follow that up with "Well, I hope you're happy!"

Forgiveness, please, sensei. There will be more opportunities to cash in on a plummeting yen. :D

peskypesky likes this.
  9. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Exchange rates are variable. The ¥/$ rate will flip again. The world economy, and Japan in particular, is fluctuating profoundly these days. Don't be surprised if there are new opportunities within a few weeks.

JPIndustrie and peskypesky like this.
  10. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Well, this is a guitar gear forum not a financial advice forum- clearly.
    There was a time when Japanese guitars were a good value but those days have gone for now. These days I'd say most are over valued.
    That said, I believe the Japanese are way over invested in guitars. If you look at the huge number of vintage Gibsons listed for sale on ebay that are in Japan, it's kind of strange. For years Japanese investors would buy vintage guitars and deal them in Japan. The fact that so many are on Ebay now is quite telling. They just sit there for months- or years even- because nobody is buying at the price they are asking. Then you have all those "golden age" Japanese copies that sit for months at inflated prices. It'll come crashing down eventually.

11. telelion

telelion Member

pale fire and peskypesky like this.
  12. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

Right. Pop over into The Pub if you're after top notch financial advice. Or medical advice. Or legal advice. Or....

13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

So this is still a topic?

airportbar likes this.
  14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Imagined genius pops up in the oddest places ... :rolleyes:

Rob Taft, Jerrod, InkStained and 3 others like this.
  15. Salfordlad

Salfordlad Member

i'll just buy MIJ off CL for 40 cents on the dollar. Great exchange rate.......

FM1968, klatuu, hhylkema and 6 others like this.
  16. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Whittlez,

Could you do us all a favor and please explain your overwhelming focus on finances as it specifically relates to Japanese guitars?

There have been threads where you seem to gleefully tell us all how much the Japanese economy is tanking. Never mind the affect on its people, you then 'pound on the table' telling us now is the time to take advantage and grab guitars. Do you have an ax to grind against them?

You use the words hedge, currency risk, appreciation and invest in the OP. Based on that, I assume you have some interest in finances. Looking at the average age of a TGPer, should guitars really be seen as the investment strategy for a secure financial future?

This subject seems to be a complete obsession for you, so please fill us in on why you are so driven to post threads about it.

17. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I think he's just a lover of MIJ guitars, and for a while there, because the yen was weak, he was encouraging people to buy MIJ guitars and get them at a good price.

I myself did a similar thing last year: When the Euro was very weak against the dollar, I was encouraging people on another forum to take advantage of that fact and buy Harley Benton guitars from Thomann.

For example, the Harley Benton Big Tone:
    [​IMG]

Of course, the Euro hasn't risen much in the past year, so the Harley Benton guitars are still excellent deals for those with US dollars.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    bloomz likes this.
  18. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

I have a Kotzen Tele. MIJ of course.

I didn't make any money from it last quarter... or dime.

peskypesky likes this.
  19. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I guess what confused many of us was all the professional financial words, and the length of his posts. I own a number of MIJ, but got them all here in US for great prices over the years from the usual places (stores, eBay, CL).

Nice Benton by the way, never heard of them before, looks sweet!

20. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I think he tends to be wordy. I'm guessing a hypomanic personality. I have never found him to be malicious, just enthusiastic and exhibiting logorrhea. He also has a phobia of two lines of text appearing together. And periods.

klatuu likes this.