Don't Hear Too Much About Victoria's On This Page

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaronKeim, May 23, 2005.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

People who have them just so happy they don't really feel the need to mention them?

Had them so long that they are part of their rig?

Or tried them and just wasn't there thing?

I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts on their Bassman style amp... Looks good to me and I love the tweed sound but haven't gotten to try anything but an original Bassman and it was just A TINY BIT out of my price range... the Victoria compair favorably to an original?

-TJK

2. hepmike

hepmike Member

i have owned both... an original '60, and a Victoria. Even had the opportunity to compare them both side-by-side. i felt they were VERY close, but my '60 did have replacement Mojo speakers, so i suspect if it had originals it would have sounded darker and more midrangey than the Victoria. in general, i would say the Victoria stuff would be slightly more 'high fidelity' than original tweed stuff.
    i think the Victoria stuff is great, and if you don't see it mentioned, it may just be due to the boutique 'honeymoon' phase all manufacturers seem to go through (they come out of the gates real hot and popular, and after a couple years cool down a bit).
    the build quality on Victoria is fantastic, and i would strongly reccomend it...

3. davebc

davebc Member

I own both the high and low power Vic tweed Twins.What can I say,outstanding! Mark B. really nailed it. Mine are completely retubed with nos Mullards,Tung-Sols,and RCA's, the cabs came loaded with Jensen P12N's,and there's a lot of headroom.In terms of pure tweed tone they will stand toe to toe with anything in my little boutique arsenal.
    Tone wise,they're are a real sugar factory,super sweet,very complex,and very sensitive to picking dynamics.Think "From the Cradle." For me the playing response is unbelievable fast,the bounce,the way the notes just seem to fly out of the speakers.Mine love single coils and humbuckers.
    The Vics and my Matchless's are the only amps I own where I never miss the reverb.There's a natural singing ambience.Those pine cabs sure don't hurt.

So,I'm a fan.It's always a real joy to plug in,and Mark has also been very accomodating.These are his baby's

I would love to hear the other tweed offerings which have gotten great reviews,ie. the Clarks, or even Bruno's take of the tweed design which I'm sure is amazing.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

they are good stuff........just not "in the spotlight" like some other amps around here.

I heard the guitarist with John Eddy's band using the Vicky Bassman, a Gretsch Duo Jet, and some pedals. Absolutley SMOKIN!!!

5. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I have a lifelong bond with my Vicky Bandmaster: one of the finest, purest tone machines — and amp designs — ever created.

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Killer amps! One of the best IMO. I have never played one I did not love.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

I loved the Low Power Tweed Twin I played through which had greenbacks...but I really don't understand why they come with Jensen RI speakers...surely there are better choices!!

Chow,
    Seegs

8. tybone

tybone Member

I have a Victoria Tremolux. It is a fine sounding well built amp. For certain blues type riffing there is nothing like it.

9. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

I have a love affair with two pieces of my gear, that will NEVER go anywhere:

1. My customized Heritage 150CM from Wolfe

2. My Victoria Double Deluxe

Total match made in heaven for me, both of these ALWAYS sound good, no matter what I played through them or played them through. Always consistent, low maintenance, and for well UNDER $2500 for the pair, it's tough to beat.

10. meterman

meterman Member

Buddy Guy played a Vicky Bassman (or was it a tweed Twin?) on his record Sweet Tea, check that out, incredible tones.....

11. davebc

davebc Member

Yea,When I saw Buddy live he was using the 80 watt Vic Bassman,which I believe was designed for him,talk about high fidelity! The 80 watt Vics weren't big a sellers when I bought mine.But,I wouldn't be at all surprized if interest pick-ed now that EC and Keith have made the 80 watt tweeds more high profile.

12. davebc

davebc Member

I'm still jonesing for a Vic DD.This place sure isn't helping my gas.

13. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

I have played a Low Power Twin and a Regal. I think they are fantastic amps if you're looking for that 50's vibe. The Regal gets all over early Chuck Berry and Willie Johnson tones. Although 15 inch speakers don't work for everyone (and I can totally understand why), The Eminence legend 15 in the Regal seems especially well suited for that R&B and early R&R sound. For 12 inch speakers, if I were to get another Victoria with them, I would either put eminece swamp things, or scour for used Jensens. Good speakers and nos tubes are a must in the victorias imho; the amps are so clear sounding that you can really hear the difference. I contrast this to my Komet that, while sounding insane with Mullard EL34s, still sounds quite good with Svetlana EL34s.

14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Vic's are good amps. I had a Champ that disappointed me because it had a couple of huge knots in the cab -- never should have been used in a high end boutique amp IMO.

Vic Deluxes are nice but in general I've found that Clark amps are a notch above in lead dress and detail/quality. All the Deluxes I've played sound boxy compared to my Clark Beaufort.

Jon

15. rbone100

rbone100 Member

The local store around hear has a Soul Cactus (Long gone) and it blew me away. The tone was amazing!

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Awww... Damn... Now I have to buy one... and here I was hoping everyone was going to slam them so I could write them off and not have to worry about it:D Awesome, thanks for all the replies.

Now I just have to figure out which 10" speakers to get for the Bassman... because I really hate the Jensen Re-issues. Any suggestions?

-TJK

17. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

there's a victoria champ for sale on ebay right now. real cheap.

18. 57special

57special Member

Simple . Weber 10's. His version of the P10Q (i believe it the 10A125) if you want a fairly loud amp (bassmans are Loud), or P10R(10A100). He makes great speakers, but the ones he did best first were the old Jensen types.

19. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Awesome, thats what I was kinda figuring... what about the DT-10's he makes for Lord Valve... whats their story?

-TJK

20. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I love my Vicky Double Deluxe. It also has a Reverbarato sitting on top of it. Milkshake thick, sweet tones with plenty of harmonic goodies and gain without pedals. Just add a Strat and you have magic. My amp is filled with old RCA tubes and has the Mojo V30 speakers. Love it, and have had it for more than 7 years.