Don't knock the Valvetronix

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TS808, Sep 24, 2006.

1. TS808

TS808 Member

I'm a home player and have gone through TONS of amps in the 35 years that I've been playing. Being a home player, I never really sprung alot of money into amps, because tube amps (even 15 watts) were just too loud when cranked.

I just found a NOS AD60VTH head on ebay at a very reasonable price, and picked up the AD212 with the Celestion NeoDog speakers.

This amp may be the best I've owned so far. Just to give you an idea, I've owned a HR Deville, Blues Jr., Fender Concert amp (90's), and a few other "mid priced" tube amps. Add to that a few other modelers, etc.

I know this is the honeymoon period, but this is the first amp that really has a tube "feel" to it as well as some great tone. It works well for me being a basement player. I've been running it on 1 watt so far (great for home playing) and am really enjoying this.

Honestly, I don't care if it models the amps 100% or even 50% for that matter. It just sounds that good. It's much better to have an amp that I can get great tone out of rather than buying a tube amp that I can only turn the volume up to "2".

2. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Well, the amps you listed as your previous , are not known for good tone. Once you've played a good toneful amp, you'll know what all the fuss is about. No comparison son.

CT.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Im not much for modelers but I was impressed with the Valvetronix.Sat donw with one a GC and had a hard time pulling myself away. Good tone,good feel.I didnt get to crank it up so the verdict is still out. If I was serious about one i would drag it into their 'loud' room.:)

4. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Wow, talk about being condesending. :NUTS

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have an AD30VT right next to me, it is a great little amp for practice and there is nothing better for bedroom jamming.
    For $230 it is hard to beat.

6. Peppy

Peppy Member

I've got a Carr Hammerhead 2 X 12" combo, a VOX AC30TBX (blue Celestions), VOX AC15TBX (blue Celestion), Fender '64 Vibroverb Custom, reissue Fender Super Reverb, Marshall JMP MK II (2204) head and a Valvetronix 120 VT for amps (Anderson electrics for guitars). The Valvetronix has seen at least half of my gigs in the past few years.

7. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Uhhuh!

I have and AD30VT that I use as my home practice and rehersal amp, and for the tones I use, it's fantastic. The AC30/AC15 and some of the clean tones are perfect.

My gigging amps consist of several Dr.Z's and a 5E3 Deluxe, as a point of reference. Are those "toneful" enough to make my opinion valid?

Lots of working musicians, outside of some of the snobs here, use amps like the Blues Jr. and HRD, and some sound great, while some sound bad. I've heard some pretty bad boutique tones as well, as I'm sure many of you have.

So if we drop the elitism, and listen with our ears instead of our eyes, you'll see that these are really pretty good and servicable amps for a home or gigging musician, especially for what they offer for the price.

8. TS808

TS808 Member

Yeah really. I hope he feels better now.

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

I got the little AD15 version. I thought it sounded great, and it had oodles of good sounds plus great effects. For some reason though, it wasn't as "fun" as my tube amps. I sold it, got a one-trick-pony Champ clone, and am much happier. Go figure.

10. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

I've done the modeling route. I had a first gen Valvetronix and a Line 6 PodXT Pro. I think the Valvetronix is the best of the modelers out today and I recently picked up a ZOOM G7.1ut as a backup/practice unit that is very impressive for the price point. I'm interested in seeing how the new V-Stack amp stacks up, it looks promising.

I agree that modeling gear doesn't quite match a great tube amp, but it comes very close and is way more versatile. So I guess that doesn't make me a 100% tube amp snob (maybe 90%).

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. Now go away. :jo

You are right. These are great amps. I still think that it beats all modelers for what it does. It doesn't win on EVERYTHING (I don't like some of the high gain models). But for tube feel and tone, amazing.

12. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I had a Vox AD60VT head. Very nice little amp. I found it got about 80% of the way there in terms of sound and feel. The interesting thing for me is that all the presets I prefered, I had tube amps that were similar. Had I not found a great deal on my dream guitar (Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod). I probably would have kept it.

The thing that is interesting is that when I had one I felt bad for only using a few of the amp models, like I wasn't using the amp fully. A friend of mine who recently got the AD120 Head, feels the same way.

13. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

The Valvetronix is a fine amp IMHO, as is the Vetta2. All that said, I have been gigging recording and practicing with my zenTera combo for almost 5 years.

I keep a look out for a "better rig" in case it dies, but so far so good. If it tanks I'd consider a Valvetronix.

14. TS808

TS808 Member

Agree with you on the high gain models. I'm not a "high gain" player, but other amp models really do a very good job of emulating some excellent tones.

The feel of the amp is better than alot of tube amps I've owned. I can't find anything negative to say about this amp.

Plus, tone isn't just from the amp....the fingers play a big part in the equation too of course. :AOK

15. TS808

TS808 Member

A buddy of mine has the Vetta II. That amp is amazing for sure.

The versatility of alot of the modelers is what I take into consideration along with tone.

16. pepi

pepi Member

Yeah and his house and car sucks too :rolleyes:

17. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I had the Vox AD30VT for about a year and it's oddly enough one of the few amps I've regret selling over the years. Sure maybe some of the models don't come that close the real deal, and the ones that do still fall slightly short, but that amp was just FUN to play through. Especially when cranked on a 60's Marshall setting.

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

LOL!! I love it! Tell another joke! You're a funny guy. :roll

19. demonade

demonade Member

My best story of a "tone that got away" involves a 30 watt Valvetronix. My band was recording an album dialing in tones on one, and for a short while it was hanging in there against a Budda Superdrive II 18 and an Engl Powerball. Then it stopped making noise, and we saw the guys in the tracking room all standing around the amp and a little cloud of smoke rising from it. We could never get any of the replacements to sound that good again. Nevertheless, it's a decent amp, maybe the best of the modelers currently out there.

20. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I bought the AD60 for $450, and it was the best money that I've spent on an amp! Great for home practicing and home recording. Some of the clean sounds are lacking when compared to the real things (my Blackface Vibrolux or Top Hat Club Royale). Still, an incredible bargain and a great alternative for home playing.