1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Laugh... I just bought a really rad Squier bass.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by RockStarNick, Feb 4, 2008.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Just got myself a Squier vintage modified Jazz bass.

Bound, block inlays. nice thin neck. decent tuners and bridge. Suprisingly great sounding duncan designed PUs, all maple body.

My experience with squiers is usually 1 out of 100 are good, and I think I found THAT one.

Found one of these with a maple body that looks bookmatched, with the seam running directly down the center of the bass.

That, and the frets have zero buzz. also really unusual.

It weighs a ton, but sounds like it. And it just feels freakin' SOLID as heck. You can really lay into it, and the notes ring loud and true and in tune. no flutter. And the duncan designed pickups actually have alnico magnets in them, and sounds really, really good.

I played a few of these at different music stores, and a handful seemed like they were "friday afternoon at 4:30PM" models.

This one however... WOW. Some dude over in Indonesia put some TLC into the particular one that I bought. He must have eaten his wheaties that day.

[​IMG]

2. padavis

padavis Member

This one however... WOW. Some dude over in Indonesia put some TLC into the particular one that I bought. He must have eaten his wheaties that day.

Haha thats a good story. I had a guy get mad at me once at a store when I was looking at a Mexican Tele. The guy said this one is really nice check it out and I did and it was nice but I just casually mentioned but its still mexican and the owner was behind us and he just lit into me. Said JESUS they are just people with jobs like us. Just makin guitars like some bum over here. I didnt think to tell him, Why dont you lower the price of that American Deluxe down to around 300 then you can tell me that whole crap! haha but yea... sorry about that rant... Anyways good find! I know a guy that has a heck of a Squir Pbass the thing really plays well, so for sure they out there!

3. RockStarNick

Yeah, I mean, when you think about it, it's still a human being working on it at SOME point... There might be an inspiring young factory worker over in indonesia or malaysia somewhere that dreams of coming over to the USA and making custom guitars oneday, who knows, right?

In my mind, there's 2 types of guitars right now. Assembly line stuff, and something along the lines of a Suhr.

My buddy has a Suhr, and you can tell why he paid $3K for it. It's just absolutely flawless, perfect, and sounds amazing.

I feel like shopping for any guitar/bass that comes off an assembly line (just like the squier that I just got) is like picking out fruit. You don't go to the food store and just pick ANY apple out of the bin. You look for one that's shiny, not bruised, red, ripe, and no worm holes.

Same principle applies to picking out a squier, mexican fender, even some american made gibsons like the faded ones.

4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Those Squiers are excellent, excellent value for the money. They need to be set up and maybe some tweeks, but they are very good for the $$$$$

5. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I've been looking at that same bass for a while. There's a very good one at the local mom&pop. Great bass for the money!

6. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

There are still mom & pop music stores in ATL? I thought they all faded away in the early '90s.

7. RockStarNick

Like I said, check out a few before you buy one.

Every one I saw in guitar center had 3-4 piece bodies, rough fret ends, signs of wood shrinkage, etc.

They're really heavy, but I think that makes em sound great. :dude

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Some of the Squier basses were made with American 'leftover parts' in the 1980's,and are very highly regarded among players.

9. RockStarNick

So I had a good chance to put this bass through it's paces tonight. Lowered the action a bit, tuned it up, and WOW. This thing just rocks. I still have a hard time beleiving it's under $300 bucks.

Acoustically, it just resonates so much better than most of the mexican fenders that were in the store for about 5-600.

And plugged in, I can't believe how good the duncan designed pickups sound. The bridge pickup solo'd just kills. I never knew a jazz bass could sound that good.

Very happy with my purchase.

10. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I'm about 40 miles south and there are a couple of very good mom&pops pretty close to me. They're struggling, though.

11. 55 Jr

55 Jr Member

I don't play bass..............but I got a very good price on this Squire.

I had to buy it.

:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best regards,

Brian

12. RockStarNick

now that's a REAL squier!!! That's probably early 80s, made in japan. I bet the quality on that thing is fantastic.

13. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

I've got one too. It's also nicely turned out and sounds good.