Don't like fuzz...my Clusterfuzz just arrived...this will get interesting

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Fuzz...hmmm...well I don't listen to any players that use it, and the one I tried made me sort of go :confused:

But I saw a thread on here about fuzzes and checked out some recommended ones...again I went :confused:...until I checked out Mike Hermans demoing the Clusterfuzz that is. Gotta admit I really like that it's super tweakable.

So I jumped on Reverb and saw that the guys at Function F(X) were selling one that someone had bought but likely never used. Figured I'd try it out. I just got home late tonight and it was in my mailbox.

I'm really looking forward to plugging it in for the first time tomorrow! Mike's demos have never led me wrong. Really looking forward to running it into the Effectrode Tube Vibe. This will get interesting...maybe I will find that I like (Cluster) fuzz after all ;)

deeohgee

Fuzz...hmmm...well I don't listen to any players that use it, and the one I tried made me sort of go :confused:

But I saw a thread on here about fuzzes and checked out some recommended ones...again I went :confused:...until I checked out Mike Hermans demoing the Clusterfuzz that is. Gotta admit I really like that it's super tweakable.

So I jumped on Reverb and saw that the guys at Function F(X) were selling one that someone had bought but likely never used. Figured I'd try it out. I just got home late tonight and it was in my mailbox.

I'm really looking forward to plugging it in for the first time tomorrow! Mike's demos have never led me wrong. Really looking forward to running it into the Effectrode Tube Vibe. This will get interesting...maybe I will find that I like (Cluster) fuzz after all ;)

Looking forward to updates, I really dig my Clusterfuzz.

raj007

Silver Supporting Member
I got one recently too. It's awesome and has many tones within it.

I think Tone Report did a review of it and listed a couple cool settings within the article.

I'd be shocked if you don't like it.

FUZZ is so fun because they all sound so different. I like ones that intermodulate and have great output and sustain. I use them judiciously. Mostly I'm using OD, but FUZZ is always on hand.

Jazzandmore

Ok spent a few hours with it. This pedal really has a lot going on! By that I mean it's certainly no one or even two trick pony ;)

Used a few different guitars to really figure out which pickup type will give me fuzz tones I like. Like I said in first post, I don't listen to any players that use fuzz. Additionally I'm primarily a jazz players that also plays bluesy stuff for which I like to use low gain OD.

Very educational few hours to start dialing in tones I liked. The pedal is very sensitive to attack and cleans up really well with a lighter touch. Also really like how the fuzz part reacts to low vs high strings in terms of fuzz character. Other thing that stands out to me is the difference between single notes and double stops for a given fuzz setting.

At this point it's the S type that I'll be pairing with this pedal. I started with a different guitar with Broadcaster pickups (middle, bridge) and P90 neck. Had a harder time controlling that guitar+pedal beast in terms of fuzz level and volume. :)

Fun Fun! :aok

Jazzandmore

Got to spend more time with it today using a different guitar with P90s. Love how this pedal is not generic, it doesn't make everything just sound the same.

I'm still wrapping my ear around OD sounds vs Fuzz sounds. New learning experience. But what I can say is there is no doubt this pedal is well thought out and set up to really give a wide pallet of fuzz tones. Kudos to the Function F(X) guys!

thesooze

Silver Supporting Member
Clusterfuzz was a huge disappointment to me, oddly enough. I realize it gets a lot of love on TGP. Just solidified the ole "to each their own" even more!

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I think the Clusterfuzz is a good "gateway drug". :D
For me the Clusterfuzz is tweakable enough to make it really useful and I play in a melodic folk/rock band where fuzz is not the main weapon of choice.

I truly admire the ragged, raging, singing skronk tones of players like Splatt who seem to able to conjure up beautiful soundscapes out of more extreme fuzz pedal settings but I need to be able to calibrate in sounds that will mesh with more straight ahead vocal songs and the wide palette of the Clusterfuzz gives me a great range of workable options to choose from.

-bEn r.

Trending Topics