Don't think I will be buying a Gibson ever again.

DonaldDemon

With so many other great options and Gibson prices going up to unreasonable amounts I just don’t see a reason to buy Gibson anymore. I am primarily a Gibson style player (Les Paul/SG) and my real LP never gets played. Not that it’s a bad guitar by any stretch but my Edwards LPC kills it in every department, and my Electra Omega RI is on par but much lighter and more tonal options. I feel like there are so many better options for the money and as long as you don’t care what it says on the headstock you can do better or as good for around half the price. Also, my Reverend Daerdevil is a great SG alternative MIK. Anyone else come to this conclusion? Here are the LP’s:

hotmod

Gibsons were always expensive, at least their more desirable models but I don't think I will ever not want to buy one.

bsacamano

Given that there are probably a thousand different brands out there, I could definitely say I will not ever be buying most of them. But why say that? Why not just buy what you want to buy and don't buy what you don't want to buy?

Average Joe

never say never, but it's mot likely to happen. I think Gibson make good guitars that are horrible value for money. I'm sorry I'm not wealthy enough to not worry about value for money

Suhrlicious

Forget that. Gibson is a horse that people need to beat 24/7! They've earned that reputation and I personally welcome any thread that does just that. I want the word to pass all over the world just how pathetic Gibson has become! Shout it from the mountain tops, I say!

:mob

2HBStrat

With so many other great options and Gibson prices going up to unreasonable amounts I just don’t see a reason to buy Gibson anymore. I am primarily a Gibson style player (Les Paul/SG) and my real LP never gets played. Not that it’s a bad guitar by any stretch but my Edwards LPC kills it in every department, and my Electra Omega RI is on par but much lighter and more tonal options. I feel like there are so many better options for the money and as long as you don’t care what it says on the headstock you can do better or as good for around half the price. Also, my Reverend Daerdevil is a great SG alternative MIK. Anyone else come to this conclusion? Here are the LP’s:

No offense but what you are comparing in this pic is two company's top of the line LP Custom copies to a Gibson LP Studio, one of their cheaper models. At that comparison I would say that you're probably correct in thinking that the quality level is about the same. I would still take the Gibson.

Tuberattler

I predict that Gibson will have to lower some of their prices as most folks can't afford them and like OP said there are lots of alternatives that are tone machines.

The bar has been raised on quality for the last two decades so far that the American made guitars have super competition for our $$$$.

I'd buy another Gibson but it'd have to be used or new pricing schedule.

DonaldDemon

Yes, beating a dead horse maybe, or just praise for the underdog for making something along the same quality (or better) for much less cash. I guess I don't belong here anyway because I refuse to pay over $1k for a guitar.

:hide2

dazco

Between fender and PRS i can find everything i could ever want, so i doubt i'll buy another one. And if i do it would be used. My only gibson is a great one. But i pick up my fenders and PRS 98% of the time.

DonaldDemon

No offense but what you are comparing in this pic is two company's top of the line LP Custom copies to a Gibson LP Studio, one of their cheaper models. At that comparison I would say that you're probably correct in thinking that the quality level is about the same. I would still take the Gibson.
Well you would probably change your mind if you played either of the other two! I have played many top tier LP's from Gibson and my stance still remains the same. The Studio is a 94, seems like they were better quality then.

DonaldDemon

I predict that Gibson will have to lower some of their prices as most folks can't afford them and like OP said there are lots of alternatives that are tone machines.

The bar has been raised on quality for the last two decades so far that the American made guitars have super competition for our $$$$.

I'd buy another Gibson but it'd have to be used or new pricing schedule.
My point, exactly. :aok

jtees4

I love many Gibson guitars. I do not buy any new. I don't complain, I buy what I want when I want for whatever money I am willing to spend. Gibson has a bad rap, at least online....but they had a bad rap in the 70's too. Henry gets reamed, but people forget that at one time HE was the savior who saved the company. He has done a good job overall. The new prices seem real high to me also, I'm not sure what Gibson is thinking....but I am pretty sure they ARE thinking and have something in mind. I await to find out just like everyone else.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I'll say, "That's nice," too, but I mean it! That IS nice - and about time.

Trending Topics