Don't understand this.

Bluesman1026

I was at a gig a couple of weeks ago and an odd thing happened which I can't explain. I have a Boss OD-3 with the drive turned off that I use for a clean boost. Been using it like that for a couple of years. At this gig I hit the OD-3 for a lead and my amp made an awful noise...kind of a breaking up rumble...hard to describe. I use a HotRod Deluxe amp. Between sets I started troubleshooting. I use a Line 6 G30 wireless system. I tried bypassing the wireless and the problem went away. I've been using it for about 3 years with no problem and I figured it had failed on me. Then I remembered that there's a setting on the transmitter that's suppose to duplicate different length cables. I always had that switched to off but forgot that I had switched it to the 10 foot cable setting the day before just to see what happened. I put the switch back to the off position and the problem went away and it's been fine ever since. I'm not that technical with this kind of thing so I wondered if anyone had any ideas why this happened.

cubistguitar

Buffer interaction, both units you mention use them, and the "cable length" settings obviously use some filters (possibly even some expansion). They obviously don't mix well with the dirt. Every wireless uses some "pre-amp" features, and older pre-digital units use companding. Companders are generally awful for signal integrity, newer digi units have done away with it. Those are the possible interactive parts from the clues I can glean from your story

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
don't know about your problem, but that might be my favorite way to use the boss od3. its just so FAT sitting between a strat and a fender. sits next to a klon on my board and gets the most use out of any other pedal. i dig that there is always some dirt there. when i want 'clean' boost, i'll use the klon or a katana (or a timmy).

Bluesman1026

Buffer interaction, both units you mention use them, and the "cable length" settings obviously use some filters (possibly even some expansion). They obviously don't mix well with the dirt. Every wireless uses some "pre-amp" features, and older pre-digital units use companding. Companders are generally awful for signal integrity, newer digi units have done away with it. Those are the possible interactive parts from the clues I can glean from your story
The G30 is a digital system. Maybe it's old enough that it still uses companding.....whatever that is. LOL Too much over my technical head but thanks for the info.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
It could be that you got a short quick burst of a really strong signal [some of those 18 wheeler radios are STOOPID strong, for example], and it just happened to get intercepted when you were stepping on that pedal. Truck keeps driving - you never hear it again.

I'd try it a bunch of times at home and see if you can replicate it.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I just keep the cable length option turned off and it's been fine.
Put it back to 10' and see if it does it again. I think all the cable length thing does is roll of some highs. I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Glitch Magnet

Yeh, if you can't replicate it then you'll never know. It could have just been a momentary bad cable connection that'll never reoccur. A fluke. OR! It could be an early sign of something about to fail completely ... most like in the middle of a big show. Oh NO! So, it behooves you to track it down if you can.

Trending Topics