Don't you consider it quite rude to sell the Tim(my) pedals for a profit???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MarkWorth, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Considering the maker is being extrememly generous by giving everyone such a wonderful deal, isn't it rude to exploit that kindness, taking advantage of his selflessness and generosity by turning around and selling it for a profit, when we all very well know that he could have sold it for much much more than he has it priced at, but is too kind and caring to do so? Seems like the exact opposite of "paying it foward" to me.
    ...and i mean that in the sense of returning kindness with selfishness...

i find that quite distasteful and classless... :(

-john:

2. Lefty

Lefty Member

So what would be any different than putting it on Ebay for the going rate, and someone buying it for 2X it's going price?

You really don't know the whole story, maybe the $$ made off of the sale of my timmy is going to charity? Maybe the sale is going to put food on the table for my kids?

Bottom line here is if you don't like the price don't buy it. Once again read rule #3.

3. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

*Don't know the whole story? Rule #3? YOUR kids? what are you talking about? i'm so confused about your post...

Anyways,
    ...i do agree that in general, it's quite ok to sell a pedal that you got (cheaply) for a higher price...I do that with pawn shopping all the time...honestly, it pays for my books for college...but when it's such a small operation(not a gigantic corporation of thousands of employees) and the operation is just ONE guy kind enough to lend fellow guitarist a helping hand at an unbelievable price (*you know he know it's worth much more), i find it quite classless to take advantage of him....Surely everyone would agree that buying hundreds of them from him and then turning them all around on ebay would be unbelievably rude and classless, so why would it not be when it's in smaller numbers? He's just some guy helpin' out fellow guitarists, and i'm sure it takes up enormous amounts of his time to help us out....i find that unbelievably amazing...what a respectful man of class it takes to do that....props to him...

and i am QUITE curious how the maker feels....although i must admit that with that type of class, i don't think he'd ever admit it if he DID think it was distasteful to take advantage of him...

-john

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

So you're saying I shouldn't have dumped my 401K for 2,000 Timmys?

:D

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Some people seem upset when someone sells something for more than they paid for it, BUT no one complains when all of us sell things for much less than we paid for it. That is supply and demand. 50 CJODs made, price goes up, and 5,000,000 TS9s made, guess what... :D

6. Antero

Antero Member

There's nothing wrong with selling at an inflated market price, but with something like this, I'd consider it rather discourteous.

7. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I sold my Tim for the same overly inflated price I bought it for...not everone is just flipping them for a profit. That said, people pay what it's worth--you have to factor in the lack of a wait time in buying one used. That's worth cash.

8. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Member

Market Value & Capitalism - always been that way......Vintage gear, etc....

I think back to an incident that happened to my company......We manufacture a product - washes parts....At an auction one of our units went for MORE than a new one and their isnt any backlog in manufacturing them.....Our president went up the buyer and handed him our card and told him he could buy a brand new one anytime for $1k LESS than he paid for the used one anytime he wanted another....

It happens - one product - many buyers.....demand, supply.....If I want something and I have to pay for it - I have NO problem paying the price....I use Buy It Now on eBay and I know 98% of the time that isnt the best price - but its secured and done with.....For many of us, the time is worth something - MONEY....

I cant see any problem with this at all.....If the seller remorses and wishes to repurchase he has to pay the market price or wait....

The only problem would be someone buying 5 or so items from the manfacturer with the sole purpose of selling for profit - that would be a bit dicey, IMO....

9. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

:confused: Whats your problem, comrade?

:) Its just a market system...get used to it.....it will work to your advantage one day.....and on that day you will sing a different tune.

Bob

10. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I seem to remember reading a post where Paul C. didn't seem overly thrilled about people selling the TIM's and Timmy for a good deal more than what they paid for 'em, but what are you gonna do? I think that someone willing to pay more not to wait a few weeks is kind of silly. I've seen Timmy's sell for $200 or so on eBay and I just wonder about the logic in that. I mean is your life truly gonna be missing something to wait 4-6 weeks?

This reminds me of the OCD craze. Folks were paying $300 plus for 'em on eBay when they first came out cause they didn't want to wait for the next patch. Now they're all over the place used and for under the retail price. Instant gratification generally is costly, but if someone is willing and able to knowingly pay more, let 'em go for it.

11. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Did you happen to read rule #1 on the way to rule #3?

1. No dealer, or hobbiest-for-profit for sale threads outside of the Dealer Emporium.

If you selling it for more than you paid for it, it belongs on the Dealer Emporium....Only you know whether it applies here or not.

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Selling anything for a profit is the full right and privilage of the owner. It's called "good business".

13. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

What if you bought it used for $180 and are selling it for the same price? That's more than the price Paul sells them for, but not a profit for the seller who paid too much to begin with. How do you determine 'profit' in the used/collectable market?

14. flicker180

flicker180 Member

for the record, lefty, this wasn't my doing.

dave

15. guitarhurricane

guitarhurricane Member

I think most people here are pretty serious about tone and if they turn a profit on a pedal, it is not because of the profit, or greed. Most of us are in search of that elusive tone we hear in our dreams. We really only sell gear to get money for other gear. i.e.: it is only sensible to think that if you waited however long it took to get a timmy or a zen or whatever that if it doesn't work for you and you think maybe a landy would. The timmy costed you $150 cash and you waited for 3 months to get it. The landy will cost you $389, what is the timmy worth? Well, you need $389, so it is worth that much to you right now, but you know that is more than market value, so should you sell it for $150? I wouldn't think so, you would want to sell it at the best price you could, say $200? Afterall, there are lots of people out there who will be more than happy to get it for $200 and not have to wait for it. Then you will still need the $189, extra for the landy. I think the amount of time you waited for a pedal should be worth something.

I am sure that Paul Cochrane could get twice as much for the timmy as he is charging and it makes him a great guy for pricing it so fairly. It also means that he will have a waiting list because it is priced so fairly. Actually if the market value dictates that timmys are worth $200 or $300 that means more people are probably just gonna get on his list and buy from him at a more reasonable price. That is my thoughts, but what do I know. I am usually the guy who gets on the waiting list and then buys one used for more anyway, becasue of severe G.A.S.

16. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I agree that prices that are being paid for these pedals are outrageous, especially when you consider the price that people paid for them. However, I don't blame them for selling them for that price if that is the going rate. If people were really upset about the prices they would stop buying them for that price. Consequently, prices would fall and if people who had them for sale wanted to sell them, they would have to adjust their prices accordingly. Just as another member said, supply and demand.

17. Lefty

Lefty Member

No worries Flicker, your not to blame...you meant well.

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I think it's a little cheesy, but not just Timmys; I sold a different ( Analogman ) pedal for a very fair price (at least what I paid but under market value) to someone who really wanted one.

I wasn't pleased to see it turned around 6 mos. later for 50% more... so much for sharing a little karma as is often discussed... I guess the cutthroat $ mentality will just take over even in the face of first-refusal agreements/requests etc.

So I guess the message to me is either be willing to "donate" the potential profit to the person who buys from me, or just go for max $ like many others.

Doesn't exactly foster the spirit of the musician's community IMO.

Jon

19. Lefty

Lefty Member

FYI my KOT went for 425.00 on Ebay a while back, and let me just say my reserve was ALOT less than that (200.00). You do the math. Do you think Mike is pissed? Nope, he's very aware of the going rate of the KOT on Ebay, mainly due to the fact he can't make them fast enough.

20. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Frankly, the moment these pedals actually start to depreciate from initial purchase price is when this builder should reconsider his business strategy. Anyone who thinks selling these pedals for a profit on the used market is somehow a negative for the builder is a bit naive if anything. Inflated used market prices help keep a backlog of orders going strong. Which is exactly where a builder whose business is based on a strictly word of mouth marketing strategy needs to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.