Don't You Hate It When You Buy A Used Amp &...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Animalboy71, May 23, 2015.

1. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

Has this ever happened to you? Try to save a few bucks and buy used but...

Bought a used Ceriatone 100 Watt Super Bass head for $1017.00 It sounded BAD.

1. Bought a set of matched tubes from Eurotubes
    Tubes Set = $120
    Shipping = $53
    Customs Fee = $20

2. Took it to a tech for a proper Bias
    Labour = $50

Still sounded BAD

3. Tech advised me that it was most likely the Transformers. Bought the ClassicTone PT, OT & Choke. Biggest ones I could get.
    Transformers = $240
    Shipping = $53
    UPS Brokerage Fees = $80 (Uhg!!! Scammers!) USPS Charges $10 for the same service.

4. Took amp back to tech for Transformer Installation
    Labour Estimate = $165

Total Cost so far (In US Dollars) $1798.00 US

Why didn't I just buy a Metro Amp or Germino????

On a side note: I have another Ceriatone amp, An Dumble Bluesmaster clone with the stock trannies & It sounds FANTASTIC! I Guess it's hit & miss with them.

Rant over

2. emjee

emjee Member

What do you mean it sounded "Bad"? You mean it doesn't sound
    like it should (I.E. defective)? Or it just doesn't suit you? Does
    it sounded good now (after the work done)?

3. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

That sucks... Could you have returned it either before #1 or after #2?

4. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

1. Buy used, but buy where you can make a return if something is defective.
    2. If you're not going to return it, and something has been legitimately identified as defective, the seller needs to reimburse you for the cost of repair.
    3. If your tech told you it could be the tubes, then says let's try Trannys... he might be BAD. Transformers have operating specs that are easy to test and verify.

Could you elaborate on "BAD" anyways?

5. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

Sorry for the pain that is buying without trying, sometimes. I think you should have gotten a second opinion on the transformer replacement. Were the voltages off with no load? Why replace the power trannsformer and choke if not? Does it sound "good" now?

6. orourke

orourke Member

I'm wondering about this stuff also.

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Those are kit amps, aren't they? For over 40 years I always bought used guitars and amps (except for one guitar), but there's no way I'm buying someone else's trial and error build. If you had just spent another $800-1200 in the first place, you could have bought a real 70s Marshall SuperBass...and instead of this, we'd be reading "NAD: My Vintage Marshall SuperBass Rocks!!!!" ....

8. candh

candh Member

Nowhere near enough information about the amp as you got it. Was it built by Nik? What's bad mean? Voltages? Noise? Regardless..That's not a great deal for a used Ceriatone and they are amps for guys who can do the work themselves. I've had and/or built probably 8~10 Ceriatone amps. The only thing I ever took into consideration were the the OT's on a few of them. Other than that...great layouts, and quality components.

9. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

They sell fully built amps too.

10. retrobob

retrobob Member

I don't understand why you would put that kind of cash out for a clone , when you can get an early 70s Marshall
    for the same ballpark price.

11. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

Throwing good money after bad is painful in hindsight. Sorry you made a bad decision worse.

12. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

The amp was built buy Ceriatone so it wasn't someones trial and error build. Honestly, I've had pretty good luck with buying used off TGP, E-Bay, and the dreaded Craigslist. Also, I'm NOT slagging Ceriatone, they really make great amps.

The reason I decided to throw money at the amp is that I couldn't sell it in good conscience. The guy who sold it to me said it sounded great, he lied & I won't do that to someone else.

I'm picking the amp up from my tech next Saturday so I'll chime in & let you guys know how it sounds (to my ears) As for the current sound... Hmm, no Umph, kind of fuzzy and doesn't have that marshal Mid-hump. When i roll the volume back on my guitar it sounds kinda like AM Radio if that makes sense. Flubby & lacking definition also would describe the tone, even when cranked. It's not noisy though.

I did read somewhere that I only needed to change the OT but I figured I'd swap all 3 of them.

Cheers

13. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

14. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I would have done a few little things because I tinker with stuff. But if it doesn't sound good quickly, I list and describe what I didn't like about it. Often someoen can read through the lines and knows they like what I don't like. Or they tinker and know they can make it what they want it to be.

15. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

This threads op brings to mind that old adage in regard to silk purses and sows ears!!.

16. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Every Ceriatone I've owned (2061,1987,Yeti,JCM800 ) have had a ton of thump and were very reliable. Still got the 800 and its a ripper.
    You might have just got a dud,or it might be something simple needs correction.
    Sounds like your tech has fallen for the myth that Ceriatone use nasty trannys and recommended a change without having a good look at the amp. They are pretty simple amps.
    I certainly dont regret buying clones, but I've since come to the realization that if you can affordably buy an original Marshall. ....even if its well over what a clone costs.....then get the real deal.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

As I've mentioned in another thread, I have had expensive problems trying to get my SF Princeton and BF Champ repaired. I think a lot of amp techs view customers who bring in a vintage or boutique amp for repair as a big bag o' money.

18. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

I'm definitely a Ceriatone fanboy, I plan on buying a few more of their amps in the future. Pretty sure mine was just a dud. What I forgot to mention in the original post was the 1978 100 watt Marshall JMP in white tolex that was for sale locally for $1100. The reason I went for the Ceriatone was for the wiring over a PCB.

I'm sure that Marshall would have been just fine even with the PCB... in hindsight.

Oh well, live and learn. Can't wait to try it out with the new trannies next week!!

19. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

^^^^^ My 79 and 80 jmp 2203s are the best amps I've played.
    My Ceriatone 800 sounds close,but there's something about the top end that i haven't heard in modern amps.
    They feel abit better than the Ceriatone too.
    I used to believe in the handwired vs PCB myth myself. .....apart from being easier to tweak,its a myth.

20. Belmont

Belmont Member

not to make things worst, but there's a 1973 Super Bass (hand wired) on Vancouver CL right now for $1700.00.