• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Don't you just love cheap guitars...

el greco

when they turn out to be amazing players! Got this pair of Peaveys at a show in Germany at the Peavey booth. They were demo guitars on the wall and when I played them through the Penta amp that they had on the stage, I absolutely loved them. It was the final day of the show and they were on offer at a very low price, but they don't sound or feel cheap at all.
So I got them and am still loving them 5 years later.
Cleaned them up today, put on fresh new strings and here they are!

pbmw

I love inexpensive guitars.
The price difference paid is usually not reflected in the quality.
I've got guitars that I paid a whole lot for and I've got guitars that I didn't pay a whole lot for.
People tend to listen with their eyes, not their ears.
Those are some great guitars.

luv

I think it depends on your definition of cheap. For some people $500 is cheap. There are plenty of really good guitars for that kind of money. For others $150-$200 is cheap. The quality in that price range is really hit or miss. I don't care how cheap they are, as long as they work/play like they should (stay in tune/intonate properly/neck is straight...etc).

Mars Rover

I have a few moderately expensive guitars, some moderately expensive ones obtained for cheap - and a few that are just plain cheap. The cheap ones were made to play very well and sound good but I wouldn't say amazing. The best thing about cheap is that I can have few basic types that I may not normally own if I had to pay more.

vbf

I've had very good luck with inexpensive guitars, both MIK Epi LP's. The root bear colored one I scored for only $100 then loaded it up with all Gibson parts I had laying around and it's absolutely fantastic. The tobacco burst is an Epi LP Custom that I acquired for only $250 and it's fabulous stock. Here's some pics:

el greco

I've had very good luck with inexpensive guitars, both MIK Epi LP's. The root bear colored one I scored for only $100 then loaded it up with all Gibson parts I had laying around and it's absolutely fantastic. The tobacco burst is an Epi LP Custom that I acquired for only $250 and it's fabulous stock. Here's some pics:

Beauty! South Korea makes quality guitars.

Mandrax

20 years ago cheap guitars were mostly crap. These days there are some amazing guitars at entry level prices.

NewWorldMan

Silver Supporting Member
I've had very good luck with inexpensive guitars, both MIK Epi LP's. The root bear colored one I scored for only $100 then loaded it up with all Gibson parts I had laying around and it's absolutely fantastic. The tobacco burst is an Epi LP Custom that I acquired for only $250 and it's fabulous stock...
Awesome! It's funny you say that. I have a trio of MIK Epiphone LP's that I love. I have a 2000 Standard, a 2002 Standard, and a 2003 Classic. Two of the three I bought for $250 and less each and gutted - new electronics, new hardware, etc. They play and sound great. My 2003 Classic I bought new because I played it in-store and it felt great. I bought it 10 years ago and it still gets regular use now despite having a trio of Gibsons sitting right beside it - both live and in the studio (just used it at a gig 2 weeks ago). It's comfortable to play, and people are always commenting how great it sounds and are surprised when they play it. It's been everywhere, has had Jager spilled into it, has blood speckled on the finish from where I cut my finger at a show, etc...and it still looks and plays as good as any guitar I own.

Matt McGriff

I've got a couple of "cheap" guitars, considering. I have an Epi Les Paul Tribute Plus, which is basically an Epi Les Paul that has been modded at the factory, with gibson pickups, upgraded wiring, pots, switches, etc. I paid $500 for it, so I feel like it is a ton of guitar for the money.

I also have a great Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele. Dropped a Duncan Hot Tele neck and Alnico II Bridge pickup in it and it is an awesome guitar. I paid $300 for it.

el greco

There are some amazing budget guitars out there that deliver the goods in spades.
They'll take you by surprise and when you realize how good they play and feel, you can never put them down. They steal the show.That's what I've experienced with the 2 guitars I started this thread with.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom