Doobie Bros rig rundown

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by candid_x, Mar 1, 2018.

1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Not sure if it's ok to post this here, but the mods will let me know and I'll move it.

Doobies, always one of my favorite bands. I found this rig rundown particularly interesting, from modern to traditional plus a couple surprises.

stratman89 and Mark Ray like this.
  2. candid_x

3. webe123

webe123 Member

The Doobie Brothers are like The Eagles....multiple hits in the 70's ....strange that both now are using PRS guitars! In the "old days"they used strats, teles and les pauls and ES335s because PRS was not around. Makes you wonder if they may have chose PRS if they were around?They also use Line 6 variax guitars and Taylor accoustics...so things have changed a LOT since the 70's!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    gerg6 and candid_x like this.
  4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

One of my favorite bands ...

Da Geezer and dennyman like this.
  5. candid_x

Last night I just needed me some Doobies and was listening to them, and thought, wonder why they didn't get the huge notoriety as the Eagles? I mean, I know they're a hugely popular band but they at some point fell behind the Eagles. I guess it was the latter's prolific songwriting, and/or the addition of Joe Walsh, kind of renewing interest.

gerg6 likes this.
  6. webe123

webe123 Member

I think both bands had a huge following....both deserved it that is for sure.

MattC and candid_x like this.
  7. candid_x

I think one difference was that The Doobies came up from the gritty streets, playing bars for beans, a band of the people, whereas The Eagle's founders backed Linda Ronstadt and were connected to LA's "mellow mafia," backed by David Geffen.

steam boat likes this.
  8. candid_x

The Michael McDonald period shifted gears big time. Almost killed them, though Michael did push them to new sound. For me, it wasn't the DB.

Da Geezer, Bebop Tom, vmjoe and 2 others like this.
  9. The Birdman

The Birdman Member

I lost interest in them after McDonald joined, although I now have grown to like that period as well. I used to call the band during that period "Doobie Dan" (they took a jazz turn, following Steely Dan). :)

vmjoe, gerg6 and candid_x like this.
  10. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Supporting Member

I love the Doobie Brothers. I got introduced to them by my uncle, who was their touring keyboardist for 19 years. Seen them live quite a few times and they're always amazing. I'm definitely more of a fan of the Tom Johnston era than the Michael McDonald era. Last time I saw them at a music festival in Sonoma they had McDonald sitting in, which was pretty cool.

vmjoe, gerg6 and candid_x like this.
  11. candid_x

12. MattC

MattC Member

Classic American band. Tom started me down the road to eventual PRS obsession when I got the Rockin Down The Highway DVD and saw him rocking one of his Customs (I think? haven't watched in a while). Their most recent ORIGINAL studio effort (not the collabs album from a few years back), World Gone Crazy, is pretty good for those who haven't heard it. Just looked it up and saw it came out in 2010 -- geez, time is flying.

vmjoe likes this.
  13. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

The Eagles edged them out in the writing department.

candid_x likes this.
  14. drive-south

drive-south Member

Makes me think maybe a Line6 Variac could be useful.

Tommy Johnston seems like less of a cork sniffer than most TGP members. He's got great gear but doesnt seem to obsess over the details.

Last I heard the Doobies had John Cowan on bass and doing some of the singing. John is an incredible singer and overall great musician.

15. fancychords

fancychords Member

I agree every song sound like minute by minute.

candid_x likes this.
  16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

John has been with them for a while now. Also they're only using one drummer and Bill Payne from Little Feat is now on keys.

John McFee uses a Variax through a Helix for almost everything.

candid_x likes this.
  17. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

The Doobie Brothers pre-Michael McDonald wrote outstanding music. They are very reminiscent of that time period and part of the country...SF Bay area with the percussion and music in general. Great band.

I almost made a sarcastic comment for the many PRS haters on here, in lieu of all the other topics happening here. This isn’t the proper place though. Regardless of the haters, PRS are wonderful instruments.

18. candid_x

I believe my son would agree. He's pretty invested in a couple of beauties in more recent times, though I'm pretty sure there'll always be a LP in his arsenal.

Same can be said for the Variax and Helix. Kinda shocked me to learn but can't argue that they can get 'er done.