Doobies

tms13pin

Gold Supporting Member
No, not the rolled things. Kids these days probably don't even know what that means (and I don't know what any of their slang means either, so we're even).

For some reason I've been on an old DB kick lately. Listening to the Captain and Me now on Amazon and WOW, Ted Templeman really knew what he was doing. The engineering and production are top notch, and the playing is too. Last night it was What Were Once Vices.... I'd forgotten how tight these guys were. Great songs too.

--Tom

brbadg

Both of those albums get played in my car when the weather gets warm. ''Stampede" is fun too.
Gives you a taste of the current band with Billy Payne.

Phletch

My favorite albums are The Captain and Me and What Were Once Vices... I'm also a big fan of the Michael McDonald era, too. I know he gets a lot of flack (a buddy of mine refers to him as "the voice that ruined the Doobies"), but I love the R&B, jazzier direction the band went in with MM. Listening to him talk about his entrance into the band, he really came into it very humbly just to fill a role and had no grand plans of "taking over."

That said, check out the very first eponymous album from 1971 if you haven't already. It didn't do very well on the charts, but there's some great stuff on there like this one. Patrick Simmons' vocals were just amazing.

msteeln

while never a big fan, I did gain high respect for them after catching a show at the Long Beach Arena in '73 with both Tom Johnston and Skunk when they magnificently blew the doors open with a smokin' high octane version of China Grove to start and never let up on the pedal the whole nite, totally out of character for them, and made everything else they ever did on stage or studio sound like it was being played at 78 speed (that means slowww). they really rocked the house down and I've always felt lucky a buddy paid my way in for that particular event, yet he didn't like it because they were so hot...

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
One of my best buddies who I have been in two bands with co-wrote "Take Me To The Highway" and of course the original band got started around here so The Doobies are always a local favorite. I like all phases of their music personally.

whackystrings

Born in '70 and the MMcD years coincided with the years I became aware of what I heard on the radio. So, obviously there was a successful band before and after MMcD but that is my frame of reference, for better or for worse. I always like blue-eyed soul...in small quantities, though.

DRS

The Doobies are the soundtrack of my teenage years along with April Wine, Nazareth, Aerosmith, Boston, and Sweet. You couldn't go to a party or be in a car without those tunes blasting.

dougb415

while never a big fan, I did gain high respect for them after catching a show at the Long Beach Arena in '73 with both Tom Johnston and Skunk when they magnificently blew the doors open with a smokin' high octane version of China Grove to start and never let up on the pedal the whole nite, totally out of character for them, and made everything else they ever did on stage or studio sound like it was being played at 78 speed (that means slowww).
Uhh, usually when someone references 78 rpm, they mean that they sped it up, either from 33-1/3 or 45.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I loved the Doobies, both versions too. I even got to do a show with Tiran Porter (bassist) with Room With A View, great band.

I saw them a few years ago, still rocking. Tom's voice is still strong. Pat's voice was a little weaker, but still good. Great band and Ed Toth is a great drummer.

I saw the Vices tour from a mere twenty feet or so from the stage and was blown away. Was the second concert I had ever attended.

Trending Topics