Dooes a Zvex SHO clone sound identical to the original?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 30secs, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 30secs

30secs Member

Help me understand.. are all the SHO clones identical to Zvex's?? Or is it based on the same circuit but may sound a bit different?

Is it really just wires and resistors that can be easily duplicated or is there more to the original circuits that meets the eye?

2. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

3. Socrates

Socrates Member

There is no pedal circuit more simple. It's pretty hard to mess it up.

4. 30secs

30secs Member

including the presence nuance impendence and dial sensitivity?

5. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

6. 30secs

30secs Member

so is it just resistors and diods? i don't get it.. if its that easy why don't people clone anything and everything if you just need the schematics? why not create a marshall/mesa/orange clone in a single head?

7. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Go ahead, heck, I might buy one!

8. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Pedals and amps are different. It isn't as simple as it looks, although the SHO circuit is about as basic as it gets.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Politics.

10. Socrates

Socrates Member

People do just that and there's entire forums dedicated to DIY pedal building. HCFX has a lively DIY thread with some very talented builders and designers. If you're at all interested in pedal building come check it out.

11. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

because getting a well built, nice looking final product is still a pretty tedious task.

and a marshall/mesa/orange would be HUGE and HEAVY

12. chrisross

Honestly man, you've posted a billion threads on the SHO in like 3 days. You're a supporting member now, just put up an ad and buy the first SHO or clone you find for a reasonable price. You'll like it. It's really not that hard...

13. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

this or get a super duper 2 in 1 or equivalent

14. 30secs

30secs Member

Already bought a SHO... i'm just asking to expand my (and possibly) other members' knowledge ... i hope that's alright.

15. chrisross

In that case

I'd say this. Think of it sort of like a Tubescreamer. When you get a TS, you get a smooth, mid-hump OD, but the different Ibanez/Maxon models will sound slightly different, as well as all the clones...but they're all still TS's.

With the SHO, there will be much less variation, as the circuitry is much simpler and there's less you can change about it. Some may be less glassy, some a little thicker, but then again, we're talking very small changes. For the most part, finding the right SHO is about finding which one fits your board. If you find one that isn't working for you, I'd look for a different clean boost (MK 4.23, Java, Katana, etc) instead of trying to find the "right" SHO.

Sorry if I sounded like jerk

16. ARC Effects

ARC Effects Member

I've built a few and compared them to the original and it's spot on, really easy circuit that's hard to mess up.

17. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Really close but not identical from my experiences... Then again I've never a/b'd two sho's si it might just be component variance that exists between em all... Zvex has cool boxes and I support his innovation so I like his (granted I do buy used...)...

I've been using a soulsonic four banger (not sure if you can still buy these) and it has a sho section... Very close but he mod'd it to remove the crackle.... Most useful boost pedal out there

18. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

There's less than 10 components in the sho, I don't think anyone can screw tat up...

19. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

It's all in that wire baby.