Doom metal guitarists: 6-7-8 string, sludge, doom, esp what tuning & speakers do you use?

Metatron_X

I've been told that low tunings, in addition to loud amps destroy speakers, while I'm sure this true (duh), I'm curious what amps + tube type, cabs (open/closed-back), speaker type (how many), bass and resonance settings and tunings you bass heavy grinders of doom use that can handle the output from your large bottle tube amps, low tunings, fuzz pedals, boosts, OD's, distortion, extended bass etc? How often do you blow speakers?

somedude

I use Recto 4x12s and Orange 4x12s, both with V30s. I've run 120w and 140w amps wide open and I've never blown a speaker.

The lowest I go is C# with the occasional drop B.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I use to tune down and use thick strings loudly and never had issues with any cab. I think any good speaker/cab should be able to handle it.

Metatron_X

I use to tune down and use thick strings loudly and never had issues with any cab. I think any good speaker/cab should be able to handle it.
Well, that's what I thought too but I recently blew a speaker and my downtuning and use of OD is being blamed so I'm pretty sure it depends on speaker type, amp, tubes and total rating of the cab. From what I've seen, I think that a 260w cab is just enough to handle anything with EL34 or 6L6, even in drop A but 200w is not enough, regardless of speaker quality, with a 100w, EL34 amp and OD. I'm wondering how low on speaker handling can one go with 6550 or KT88 in their heads?

I'm also trying to get some consensus on tube types, amp wattage, etc because I'm wanting to build my cabs out so that they can handle anything. I thought I had done that, with the help of "expert" advice but I was lead wrong by someone who doesn't understand the nature and logistics of modern sludge and doom music, lol - big amps, big tubes, tons of distortion, massive walls of bone-shaking sound.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think that's what did it. Sometimes a speaker can just fail. What kind of cab and speakers was it? Also what kind of amp?

Ransome

Fender Telecaster Baritones, tuned up to C standard. I run a clean amp (all the time) 1x12 and my Hovercraft Falcon 50 with a Hovercraft 6x12. The clean amp always on keeps the definition when the Falcon gets fuzzed out. I've never blown a speaker and we have a LOUD drummer!

NorCal_Val

I currently fall into this category.;)
Ibanez M80M(low string tuned to "Eb" instead of "F#")
Ibanez Universe and K7 both tuned down a whole step
For distortion tones;
Trombetta Kush OD and Protone Bulb OD pedals
Various effects pedals
'97 Boogie Triple Rectifier
360 watt Recto 4x12
For clean tones;
Rivera M100
tc electronics SCF, Hall of Fame, Flashback
various effects pedals
240 watt Recto 4x12

Metatron_X

Fender Telecaster Baritones, tuned up to C standard. I run a clean amp (all the time) 1x12 and my Hovercraft Falcon 50 with a Hovercraft 6x12. The clean amp always on keeps the definition when the Falcon gets fuzzed out. I've never blown a speaker and we have a LOUD drummer!
Do you use OD or just fuzz and what speakers? Also 6L6, K66 or EL34?

Metatron_X

I currently fall into this category.;)
Ibanez M80M(low string tuned to "Eb" instead of "F#")
Ibanez Universe and K7 both tuned down a whole step
For distortion tones;
Trombetta Kush OD and Protone Bulb OD pedals
Various effects pedals
'97 Boogie Triple Rectifier
360 watt Recto 4x12
For clean tones;
Rivera M100
tc electronics SCF, Hall of Fame, Flashback
various effects pedals
240 watt Recto 4x12
See, you have what I would call a typical modern rig and no blown speakers using OD and a high wattage amp. 240-260w seems to be a minimum for a 100w amplifier playing down-tuned and over-driven, high gain, music.

NorCal_Val

The 240w cab seems a little muddy to my ears for the distortion tone I'm
going for, that's why I'm using the 360w cab. After all these years of playing
Rock/metal, it's been pretty eye opening trying to a more "modern"-type
of distorted tone.(btw, we're not what the "kids" are calling "djent":p)

Metatron_X

The 240w cab seems a little muddy to my ears for the distortion tone I'm
going for, that's why I'm using the 360w cab. After all these years of playing
Rock/metal, it's been pretty eye opening trying to a more "modern"-type
of distorted tone.(btw, we're not what the "kids" are calling "djent":p)
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't djent have little to no bass whatsoever, as in, mostly mids and treble? I've always had great appreciation for early sludge from high school to now, almost 24yrs now (Melvins & Karp mostly), but I've played mostly post punk, most of my life, with some forays into, death and black metal. Lately I've been going into solid doom territory and my sludge roots are showing teeth in a big way. Unfortunately my most recent attempts at doom have been met by speaker failure and I'm trying to ascertain what is required in order to have a versatile rig that will play sludge and post punk and black metal.... and surf, lol, because, apparently, a 200w speaker cab doesn't cut it with a 100w amp on clean channel using OD.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I read thru your other thread and still think he sold you a speaker that just went bad. I certainly wouldn't pay to send it to him. If I was a boutique speaker guy I would repair free the first time that's me. Using an overdrive has no bearing on a speaker blowing. The amount of bass could but a well built speaker should be able to handle it. I would get another eminence personally. They are cheap and bulletproof.

Metatron_X

I read thru your other thread and still think he sold you a speaker that just went bad. I certainly wouldn't pay to send it to him. If I was a boutique speaker guy I would repair free the first time that's me. Using an overdrive has no bearing on a speaker blowing. The amount of bass could but a well built speaker should be able to handle it. I would get another eminence personally. They are cheap and bulletproof.
Thanks, I feel the same way.
I'm considering four different Eminence atm: Texas Heat, Tonker, Manowar and Delta Pro 12A
to pair with the Swamp Thang but I have no experience with any of them. I like british flavor to my speakers so I'm considering the manowar or tonker but the texas heat is commonly paired with the swamp thang to good effect and the Delta pro intrigues me due to it's power handling and similarity to the EVM12L, which has a great reputation in the metal world. The tonker get mixed reviews but I like that it has a Fane thing going on... any suggestions?

Dubious

Im tuned to drop c on all my guitars.. play a metric tonne of fuzz / OD and i love LOW END.

currently runnign an Accoustic 134 4 x10 combo wit ha second detuned 4x10. The accoustic is 125 watts of pure CLEAN tone. I've also got a Laney Pro Tube and Traynor yba1 - both extremely LOUD amps.

Speakers are some 75 watt eminence things they made for randall at some point. I also use a 2x12 with WGS classic lead 80s in it and a 1x12 with an eminence texas heat. Never had any speaker issues

Trending Topics