Doom metal guitarists: 6-7-8 string, sludge, doom, esp what tuning & speakers do you use?

Metatron_X

They are 65 watt, so 130 watt for the cab. Never had an issue.
Wow, that totally kills everything people are telling me in the other speaker thread I have going. I'm being told that only certain speakers, made to handle bass frequencies, with proper xmax values, over 100w ea, in closed back 2x12 cabs can handle downtuned metal. This has been my experience so far, even though other people don't seem to have the same problems but I'm beginning to think that I got a bum speaker (or two) or there is something else about my setup that eats speakers for lunch. Thanks for your input.

dclxvi

drop F
smashed with a big muff
8 swamp thangs
69' svt that's clean @ 340 watts @ 40 hz

Ive hammered a few drivers in my day. never a swamp thang.

Metatron_X

drop F
smashed with a big muff
8 swamp thangs
69' svt that's clean @ 340 watts @ 40 hz

Ive hammered a few drivers in my day. never a swamp thang.
You have about 1200w of speaker handling, I don't think you could blow that if you wanted to, lol.

Yeah, the Swamp Thang seems pretty robust, I have one too but I'm not super thrilled about it's top end and the middle is darker than I what I want for my sound. I'm hoping to find something in the 150w-200w, to mix with it, that can fill those parts in a little.

kawai2g4b

For amps, I use either an AIMS eclipsor head (120W w/KT88s), a Music Man HD130 or a Carvin Quad-x/Tube 100 setup. Amps run on edge of breakup and get hit with pedals for the extra saturation. The key thing for doom is to get the throb from the power tubes. My 4x12 runs a Texas Heat/Wizard mix which is vesatile but does doom and clean doom equally well. Also this doesn't get near enough mention but DONT use anything north of medium-hot pickups. Your lows will get muddy and undefined really fast otherwise.

Metatron_X

For amps, I use either an AIMS eclipsor head (120W w/KT88s), a Music Man HD130 or a Carvin Quad-x/Tube 100 setup. Amps run on edge of breakup and get hit with pedals for the extra saturation. The key thing for doom is to get the throb from the power tubes. My 4x12 runs a Texas Heat/Wizard mix which is vesatile but does doom and clean doom equally well. Also this doesn't get near enough mention but DONT use anything north of medium-hot pickups. Your lows will get muddy and undefined really fast otherwise.
I'm beginning to think I need to start a guitars and pedals of doom threads too, lol.

kawai2g4b

Yeah, The Devil's in the details. But don't forget about your bassist either. Take High on Fire for example. Their bass player actually fills up most of the sonic space for their sound. Matt Pike's guitar gives them their melody and direction (If you can call it that) but I saw them live about 4 years ago and Pike's rig blew out on him mid song. Their bass player Jeff Matz's bass sound was just the most angry thing I have ever heard, thick but with a lot of upper mid character.

Trending Topics