dope?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dennwall, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dennwall

dennwall Member

I want to get a weber blue alnico 12-inch 15-watt for my pro junior external cab. Weber's website offers a choice of dope -- no, light, moderate or heavy. What do I want and why? Based on the explanation on their site, I'm thinking no or light. What do y'all know about that?
    Thanks!

2. Demo

Demo Member

"Just say no!"

3. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

Less dope is brighter and more articulate, while dope is really used to tame cone cry in high volume situations: at a cost but some prefer it regardless. I'm assuming you are splitting the load with your internal speaker, say 7 1/2 watts each, so low volume sitch here. Also, the 15 watter is the most bright so light dope seems like a good balance.

Break it in before judging it. It needs it.

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

You could ask for 'Pre-Rola treatment' and get that inner ring of dope around the dustcap. Tames the trebles still. I would say for vintage accuracy you'd require some dope and if so preferably the pre-Rola, but really it's a matter of taste.