Doping removed from speaker?!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Hello!

I am looking to buy a speaker from someone that has some of the black doping removed as it stuck to the box. I believe it's called doping?!
I don't think it would be a noticable difference but I seem to be the only person interested in this speaker. It's an early 2000s Vintage 30 made in the UK.
I am curious if anyone knows?
Maybe someone with extensive amp/speaker knowledge?
Thank you!

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
What I'm seeing in those photos is a little white paper stuck to the speaker doping. No big deal. I'd try to carefully peel it off, but if it's tissue thin, no issue to worry about. You could also dampen it with water, and rub it off carefully with your finger.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
What I'm seeing in those photos is a little white paper stuck to the speaker doping. No big deal. I'd try to carefully peel it off, but if it's tissue thin, no issue to worry about. You could also dampen it with water, and rub it off carefully with your finger.
I talked to the guy. He said to me there is no white paper stuck to the speaker. He says the speaker got stuck to the box and pulled off some of the black speaker doping. What we see is the raw white speaker paper underneath. It's a 2002 V30.
Thank you for your input.
I seem to be the only person interested so I worry others know something I don't.

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
If it was an Oreo cookie, and the top layer got peeled off, then, yeah, it would be white inside. :)

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
That's what I thought. Been playing for over 20 years and never saw white speaker paper...

This is what he said:
" I DID NOT SAY PAPER WAS STUCK ON IT, I SAID A THIN LAYER WAS REMOVED, WHICH TOOK A LITTLE OF THE BLACK STUFF WITH IT."

Maybe it's the Celestion Oreo edition!
Worried, still...

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
He doesn't know speakers and does not play, so maybe he just doesn't know.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
I've had white from a white plastic bag stick TO the doping on a speaker when someone shipped it that way .. I can't get it off, and does NOT effect the sound, but it's hard to tell from that picture if that's the case.

Eric

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I agree. I can't tell from the pic but he says it's the speaker exposed which makes no sense.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Look like you are not the only one interested.

If it sounds fine, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always buy some doping and touch it up if you are concerned.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Look like you are not the only one interested.

If it sounds fine, I wouldn't worry about it. You can always buy some doping and touch it up if you are concerned.
Yep! Ha. Suddenly, they are jumping in!

Thanks man! I'll figure it out if I get it!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
So I got the speaker from the guy that had part of the doping and paper torn off.. The paper at that point is very thin. It's down to thr inner part of the cone.
The white in the photo is the inner part of thr cone. It's white, not grey. Ugh..
Problem?

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
I stand corrected!!! Sorry, buddy.

Let's have a look. Can you post a closeup?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
No worries...
I also know the cone paper as grey.
But it appears when you tear it, it's a white inside.. It must be died or colored grey.
Its very thin where the paper tore off, it's super thin in those spots since a lot of the paper is removed.
The guy said he will take it back so that's good. I'll ship it back. I should have known better.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone know if I can repair this and make it fine? The guy I bought it from isn't happy and feels I should just fix it? It's not my problem however.
Thoughts?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I talked to Avatar..
You can put a drop of white elmers type glue on your fingertip and smear it on the thin spots. It will be fine.

J M Fahey

Cones ARE grey/black.
Black pigment (usually lampblack) is mixed in the paste at the factory, *before* it´s actually felted and pressed.

Before that, it was a very liquid black paste inside a bathtub ("black water"), not kidding.

It does NOT have a "white core".

This is the process used:

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I totally have always thought that... But then what is this white part on the Inside??? Part of it was torn away so it's rather thin and now white. I am confused. Strange.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I totally have always thought that... But then what is this white part on the Inside??? Part of it was torn away so it's rather thin and now white. I am confused. Strange.
The white you're seeing looks to be a patch of some sort. It's not in a critical spot as it's on the surround. Buy some black liquid electrical tape and give it two coats. Let the first coat dry for an hour and apply a second coat.

Trending Topics