Do's & Dont's for selling on the Emporium

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Pack things well. The third party of the deal is usually USPS... and they're on nobodys side.. pack securely. Communicate tracking number to buyer.

Its a self policing system. In my decade on here, I've sold hundreds and hundreds of pedals and never had an issue.
I’ve never had an issue with USPS.

FedEx, otoh, seems to have trouble with the distinction between 2 days and 2 weeks.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
Don't bump your ad every time you get a chance for weeks on end. Once or maybe twice a week is enough.
Price reasonably and after 2-3 weeks (it does seem to take longer to sell these days), lower the price if it has not sold,
or take the item down if you are not comfortable with the current market.

Last edited:

woolyh

Pro buyer tips:

Never use Paypal gift, if something goes wrong your screwed

Always buy mint condition as it means it's in flawless like new condition so you won't have any problems

If you ask a bunch of questions without committing they'll probably call you a tire kicker or something. Start a thread calling them out and move on

Pro seller tips:

Always Paypal gift so if something goes wrong your covered

Mint condition doesn't legally mean anything so describe everything as mint and your items will sell faster

Don't bother with time wasters who ask bunch of questions but don't commit. Call them a tire kicker and move on

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
My first couple sales had nervous buyers as I had no feedback. I took the chance of shipping the item first without payment, and only doing so to someone who had alot of feedback. Once I had a few positive feedbacks I reverted to pay me first, then I ship.

My only odd experience was selling to a guy who I believe actually lived in the Caribbean. I always say CONUS, but he had me ship to a building in Florida that, when I looked it up on Google Street View, was a shipping outlet to central and south America. He also used a Paypal account of someone at this shipping outlet. So- very sketchy, but it was under $100, and this guy had alot of positive feedback. I shipped it and had no issues with Paypal.
This is actually fairly common practice. It might look sketchy to you, but I'm on the other side of the fence (I live in Peru).

There is still a lot of people here who are afraid to or don't know how to order stuff online from outside the country. It can be because of the language barrier or because most people don't have cards. Some people are just scared because they've never done it and they default to thinking their order will be stolen or misplaced. As a result there are a lot of businesses that help you "shop in the US." So you give them your money and then they buy whatever you want for you from an address in the states.

There are some benefits to doing this - I can buy something off Reverb, some books off Amazon, some clothing off Gap and then ship everything to the company's 'address' in Florida and then have them handle everything and deliver all my stuff in a single shipment right to my door. I get charged based on weight or some other criteria. Another benefit is skipping the crummy Peruvian postal service altogether.

So, for decades we've resorted to this kind of scheme because the stuff we want simply isn't imported into our country, shipping rates and customs fees will murder us for anything worth more than $200, or our post will take 3 months to deliver.

There's this guy in my city whose sole job is to import guitars from the US. Fender CS, Tyler, Rickenbacker, stuff you can't get here. This is all he does and how he earns his livelihood. People are happy to pay the dude 350$ over the guitar price just for the assurance of getting it and not having to wade through the process themselves. His policy is he only buys from actual stores, sometimes won't even buy from brick and mortar.

Last edited:

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
Very interesting. Are most of your payments money orders?
money orders or personal checks. Most being money orders, but with online banking now... I can deposit a personal check at home and know if it clears in a day. Lately I’ve done more personal checks. I’ve done trades too and whatever party that needs to add a little money, just stuff the cash in the box with the pedal.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
money orders or personal checks. Most being money orders, but with online banking now... I can deposit a personal check at home and know if it clears in a day. Lately I’ve done more personal checks. I’ve done trades too and whatever party that needs to add a little money, just stuff the cash in the box with the pedal.
I guess there's a level of trust (and proof someone is worthy of dealing with per TGP ratings) when dealing with personal checks. I'd worry about being burned. Money orders are guaranteed which is not a bad idea. I'm not the biggest fan of PayPal either. I liked using Reverb but now it's all tied to your bank account which I'm really not a fan of so I deleted my account. I've always wanted to trade on TGP, but don't even know where to start with that. Like, do you send each other a small deposit? Or in that case, each person sends something via PayPal to prove the transaction exists?

dacula789

Silver Supporting Member
I guess there's a level of trust (and proof someone is worthy of dealing with per TGP ratings) when dealing with personal checks. I'd worry about being burned. Money orders are guaranteed which is not a bad idea. I'm not the biggest fan of PayPal either. I liked using Reverb but now it's all tied to your bank account which I'm really not a fan of so I deleted my account. I've always wanted to trade on TGP, but don't even know where to start with that. Like, do you send each other a small deposit? Or in that case, each person sends something via PayPal to prove the transaction exists?
Great questions, inquiring minds want to know. I’m ready to start selling once schooled on all this.

Colnago

No offense to the poster above, but this is extremely ill advised. I’m not using the words I actually want to use in order to emphasize how bad of an idea this is because I don’t want to get in trouble.

Again, to anyone new to shipping/selling online outside of traditional e-commerce platforms: Just pay the PayPal fees. Don’t ship things to strangers with no payment. That is insane.
It's funny that you say this as I've done it many times and both ways, as a seller and a buyer. I've sent money with no guarantee that I'll ever get the product and I've shipped products with no guarantee of ever getting my money. Never been screwed.
I've sold stuff on Reverb a few times and I've been harassed and screwed a few times there. People saying it doesn't work, or partial refund as it is damaged, unleashing PayPal on me.
I don't know what to recommend, besides GO WITH YOIR GUT FEELING and hopefully it'll work out.
Unfortunately local sale is always best.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
At the time I did not want to use Paypal. And I've sold ALOT of stuff on other forums. I find if you are dealing with someone who has 20+ Feedbacks, they are trustworthy. They aren't going to burn an account with that much feedback to steal a $50 used guitar pedal.
It's funny that you say this as I've done it many times and both ways, as a seller and a buyer. I've sent money with no guarantee that I'll ever get the product and I've shipped products with no guarantee of ever getting my money. Never been screwed.
I've sold stuff on Reverb a few times and I've been harassed and screwed a few times there. People saying it doesn't work, or partial refund as it is damaged, unleashing PayPal on me.
I don't know what to recommend, besides GO WITH YOIR GUT FEELING and hopefully it'll work out.
Unfortunately local sale is always best.
I’m glad you never were burned, but that’s like saying you got 5 clicks playing Russian roulette, so it’s okay to play Russian roulette.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve also exchanged phone numbers and actually talked on the phone with people. It’s fun to discuss gear and our other music illnesses LOL.

Get to know the buyer or the seller, exchange messages. I’ve met some great folks here and have fun discussing other gear other than being bought, sold or traded at the same time. Someone mentioned going with “your gut”...and sometimes you get a uneasy feeling, and then just back out.

See3po

How is the emporium for Canada? I usually sell locally, but with COVID and all haven't bothered.

monte

I really like dealing with gear page members. I have never had a bad transaction what so ever. I never ask for PayPal gift and never pay that way either. I speak on the phone with buyers or sellers at times if needed or wanted. I even had a few very cool guys come to my home to pick up guitars they bought.

Only things I wish were a little better are the posting of feedback and dead end PMs. I always leave feedback for the buyer or seller and at times it hasn't reciprocated. Not a big deal, but I think it helps lend credibility to the next buyer or seller. Take the extra 3 minutes to do this.

Another issue are the PMs that go nowhere. I've had someone tell me they are interested and want to know where I live. After my response, nothing. Or how much does it weigh, etc. I answer all PMs, but sometimes the thread dies and I don't get it. Just say no thank you.

These are the little insignificant issues. I am nitpicking. The Gear Page is truly an awesome place for buying and selling. It is also a great place to feel at home. I always know someone is out there to listen to me :)

Just my 2 cents
Monte

3waytie4last

Unfluencer
1) Find your item on Reverb.

2) Look up sold prices for such item.

3) List your item near the lower end of that.

If you haven't followed these steps and you later post a, "Why doesn't anything sell on the Emporium" thread, you will be automatically catapulted into the sun.

longgonedaddy

Don’t forget to only sell the TGP darling pedals, or yours will languish for weeks, if not months, until you drop the price so low, you may as well just keep it, or sell on Reverb.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
Don’t forget to only sell the TGP darling pedals, or yours will languish for weeks, if not months, until you drop the price so low, you may as well just keep it, or sell on Reverb.
Yup...Unless your way below Reverb, your unlikely to catch someone's eye here lately.
And forget about selling heavy stuff like speakers, I lost my shirt $29 shipping! So I started asking for a little extra if it was far. The last guy was on the opposite coast and apparently thought $12 was unreasonable of me.

BootRoots

Silver Supporting Member
Pictures in general, JFC. I can't tell you how many posts I come across that just list what's for sale with no pictures. Who is going to buy a used whatever sight unseen?
Exactly. It just screams I don’t care if I sell this. Many people don’t seem to grasp that how they market their stuff is as important or more important that the products actual condition.

IRG

I haven’t listed anything in the emporium here for years, but maybe I’ll rejoin soon. I find Reverb a bit expensive now. Especially for guitars, when I factor in shipping it’s not worth it. I used to have really good luck with CL but that doesn’t seem to even generate scam reply back these days. I listed one guitar on FB ads, and that sold quickly, trying that with a a pedal right now with little success. I’m not hopeful tbh that the emporium here will be more successful unless as mentioned above, it’s a darling TGP pedal.

Trending Topics