Double check: speaker jack wiring

les_paul

I bought a beast of a cab from a friend who made a funky wiring decision. He bought four 16 ohm speakers and instead of wiring it series/parallel to keep it at 16 he added a jack and essentially made a stereo cabinet but plugged one head into both sides (I don't think he understands wiring very well). I want an overall 16 ohm output using all four speakers which can be done with series/parallel wiring but I don't want to accidentally plug into the wrong jack some day and blow up an amp.

I don't see why I couldn't just run jumper wires from tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve on the jacks and create a redundant jack. Anyone see any problems with my logic?

HotBluePlates

... he added a jack and essentially made a stereo cabinet but plugged one head into both sides (I don't think he understands wiring very well). ...

I don't see why I couldn't just run jumper wires from tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve on the jacks and create a redundant jack. Anyone see any problems with my logic?
You haven't really told us what he did do when he wired it, at least not with any certainty. So I don't know that what you propose will work the way you expect.

- Is each jack connected to two 16Ω speakers in series, giving you a 32Ω speaker load? And he plugged one amp into both jacks (which are effectively in parallel at the amp), yielding a 16Ω total speaker load?

- Or are the two 16Ω speakers in parallel, giving an 8Ω load at each jack? Plugging into both jacks again puts these in parallel for a 4Ω total load.

- When you run tip-to-tip and sleeve-to-sleeve, you're putting whatever he did in parallel. Might be 16Ω, might be 4Ω. Might be something else if he goofed his wiring.​

If you just wanted a 16Ω mono cab, then rewire the speakers series-parallel to a single jack & get on with life. :D

Trending Topics