Double Gig Bag

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RodTruss, Dec 19, 2018.

1. jklotz

jklotz Member

This may be helpful - it's not me btw

jvin248 and RodTruss like this.
  2. RodTruss

RodTruss Member

Thanks!

Can anybody compare the road runner bag to these? Is it even in the same ball park?

3. edward

edward Supporting Member

Cool vid as I, too, have never seen a head-to-head comparo.

FWIW, I have been a Mono user for many years ...got my Vertigo years back on special (practically when they came out?), and my Mono Double used here in the emporium, still quite some time ago. Again, after these many years of use they both perform flawlessly, and look very good now, despite the use! The video above points to the differing interiors which, I concede, the RB's does seem nicer than the Mono's and could very well be a deciding factor, depending on the price differences. That said, neither my Monos have suffered a single bit, and the interiors still look good as new.

Given the reputations and real-world reports of both these makers, I seriously doubt one could go wrong with buying either. I would call them "even" and if I had to do it all again, I'd simply go with the one that is better priced.

BTW, to the snarky reply about Mono/RB users being "real proud" about their gig bags, rest assured those of us who are serious about our guitars find no value in saving a scant few dollars as a compromise to protecting a cherished instrument(s).

Edward

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Twangmeister, cust22 and RodTruss like this.
  4. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I've used an Incase double gig bag for over 10 years. Played scores of shows with it. It's adequate protection -- no issues whatsoever.

tone4days and RodTruss like this.
  5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I have two mono's...one vertigo, one sleeve. I hate hard cases, just way too hard to travel with. I would not buy a sleeve again. The fit of the guitar in the bag is way too snug, even for a tele. Every time I pull a guitar out I have to adjust the switch and tone because it's so snug getting into it. It eventually flexed a bit and is better. The protection is good for a Tele, I would not put a Gibson in it or use it on extended trips. The Vertigo gets used every gig, and I've used it hundreds of times over the last 6 years. The quality is unbelievable and I would carry any guitar in it. For as much as it's used I can't believe the condition it's in, an amazingly built piece of equipment.

RodTruss likes this.
  6. RodTruss

RodTruss Member

FOLLOW UP QUESTION:

I've never traveled with a gig bag before, where does it go in the van/car? Laying on its back (Gibson headstocks), laying face down or on its side? Seat belted in the passenger seat?
    A hard case can slide between equipment and stands on its side well,
    What do you do when packing a double electric gig bag?

7. neastguy

neastguy Member

I think soft cases offer more protection than the hard cases on a fall.. but who knows.. I could be wrong

RodTruss likes this.
  8. cust22

cust22 Member

same for me!!

RodTruss likes this.
  9. edward

edward Supporting Member

These excellent gig bags offer superb protection, and arguably superior protection over a typical HSC except in terms of crush weight. The truly rigid nature of a traditional HSC will simply take more weight than a Mono or RB, whose superb protection is more in terms of cushioning and absorbing colliding hits; but if even a static weight were placed on them, in any dimension?? No way man!! ...their skeletons are not made to withstand static weight AFAIK, at least not that I would personally risk!!! I always load my Mono guitar cases on top of whatever I'm packing, or if sandwiched between gear, that there is some physical impediment to it getting crushed by shifting loads.

I know folks fly with these cases all the time. But if I thought it would be checked in with all the other luggage and thereby potentially sitting underneath heavy items for the duration of a flight? ...man I'd be seriously scared, particularly if it were an angled headstock!!!

Edward

jvin248 and RodTruss like this.
  10. crifasta

crifasta Silver Supporting Member

I use the Mono double (I also use their pedalboard and single guitar cases) with my Les Pauls all the time with no issues. It's big and bulky and can be heavy depending on the guitars but it's rock solid.

RodTruss likes this.
  11. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

My Jazzmaster fits in my regular M80. Is the RBX that much smaller? Fitting a JM is important for me.

So I'm debating between the dual electric and the hybrid electric/acoustic model for the uses you just described. However I can only afford one.

I was considering getting the acoustic model and putting two solid bodies or having the 335 or acoustic option. Any thoughts on this?

12. qblue

qblue Member

If you have the money for one bag, then I would get the hybrid electric/acoustic model, especially if you have a 335 style guitar. This bag can fit the 335 on either side due to the bag's ability to fit the 16' width of a 335 on either side. I can put an Ibanez AFJ95 hollowbody jazzbox or a Martin Dreadnought D-16GT in the deeper compartment, and any solidbody or the ES-347 on the other side.

The dual electric only fits Les Pauls, Strats, or a Tele, and other variants of those guitars, because there isn't a 16' width.

I'd suspect a JM or Firebird would not be a problem in either bag. I don't have one to check for the fitting.

RodTruss and 1973Marshall like this.
  13. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I was leaning to the hybrid acoustic/electric! Do you find it to be wayyy to big or is it still manageable?

qblue likes this.
  14. Digidog

Digidog Member

I use a Mono double bag, and while it's cumbersome and gets heavy with two guitars in it, it provides really good protection. I have no hesitation to pack two semi hollow Gibsons in it, and it's convenient to get two guitars in one grab - but it is a load to carry.

1973Marshall and RodTruss like this.
  15. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

THIS. Love mine

RodTruss likes this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Ghetto mod is find a single guitar bag you like, buy two, cut the straps off one and the front pocket off the other and sew the two bags together. If you don't have access to a machine or a friend to help, get a local tailor involved.

The other thing for any of these dual bags is the guitars should be the same model and load so both head stocks sweep in the same direction - you can't put two guitars back to back. A LP packed on top of a Tele can be a problem. A short scale over a long scale can be a problem.

If I were traveling with guitars a lot I'd go with a couple of Teles even if I built one as an HH to cover LP tones. However, I can see the huge advantages of something shorter like a pair of Jaguars or Mustangs too. Maybe even dismantle necks and pack the carry on.

Some airlines have an extra bag fee to consider, and if hit for $100 each way then buy a Squier at every town to put on consignment when you leave.

RodTruss likes this.
  17. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

I use the Mono M80 Dual as well. Same bag for nigh on 10 years with nary an issue. I’ve carried various Strats, Teles, my PRS DGT, SC250, Hollowbody, and my Gretsch 6121-FTW in it. Not to mention straps, cables, capos, picks, slides, etc.

Great, great bag.

RodTruss likes this.
  18. mrwolf

mrwolf Member

I had the Reunion Blues RBX and hated it. The shiny blue lining gets shredded by string ends, saddle height screws and anything else that touches it.
    I wrote to RB to complain about the quality and got a sarcastic reply.
    I've had 2 leather RB bags for over 20 yrs and love them but their new range is rubbish.
    My Tom Anderson came in an Access gig bag and I liked the quality so I emailed Access and asked them if they made a double bag, they do and I've gigged it about 400 times and its still like new.
    Price was really good too.
    Much better than RBX and less bulky than the Mono.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    1973Marshall, RodTruss and Gevalt like this.
  19. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Another suggestion on creating your own double bag - when it comes to sewing the two bags together, try going to a Sail Maker Shop (if you live anywhere near where people sail their boats) - they will have the industrial sewing machines needed to make one bag out of two and may be helpful in helping you decide on the best way to join them. This wont work for our landlocked guitar players, but if your anywhere near water, and people have sail boats, look for a sail shop to help with all your heavy duty sewing chores. I've often thought about a double gig bag, but I use a Rock&Roll Cart (the one with the pneumatic tires), it pulls out long enough for me to put the amp, pedal board case, roller bag of guitar stands, misc. cords, power strips, tools etc. and two hardshell cases for one trip from car to load-in, same thing at end of night, one trip. I live in Michigan so winter gigs mean snow between you and the building, the R&R Cart does it well - stairs are another thing, but that's been an issue for me once in 15 years (stairs inside the building from first floor to second floor bar area where we had to play), then it's just hump it up, but you'd be doing that anyway. Good luck with your solution.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    RodTruss and Gevalt like this.
  20. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

ThomasRS and RodTruss like this.