Double Hotcake

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Realfi, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

Rather than have other threads hijacked by interest in the forthcoming Double Hotcake, I thought I'd start a new one.

I just sent Paul Crowther an email with some questions posed by Teddy Boy and ToneRanger. I figured that if he got one email and I posted the results here it'd save him from spending his time answering all of us and he could finally get the 'Double' finished!

Stay Tuned!

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Good idea Realfi!

I cant wait for the answers, but as it's Paul, you dont usually have to wait that long :)

I'll definately stay tuned!

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

4. drolling

drolling Member

I've been reading that the Hotcake's THE choice for AC30 amps.

I've got an AC-15TBX with 2 10s that's very picky about what's put in front of it. Mid boosted pedals that work so well w/my old blackface Fenders sound especially wretched, so the HC's sounding more & more appealing.

Anyone using Hotcake w/smaller Vox amps?

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I have a Bad Cat Cub II, which is a 15 watt class A combo, like a hot rodded Vox and I can tell you that the Hot Cake with it is a match made in heaven. I have currently 1x12 speaker in it, but I previosly had the same amp with 2x10 and worked just as well, if not even better!

I've also played the cake thru a Vox AC30 and it sounded great. I strongly recommend you to try the Hot Cake, I'm sure you will be pleased!

6. drolling

drolling Member

Thank you TR. Clearly, I need this pedal..

When Mr. Crowther returns from his vacation he'd better be well rested and ready to start soldering.

Does he have dealers? I generally order direct from independent builders, but if anyone's stocking the Blue(s?)berry Hotcake, I'd appreciate a heads-up..

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

drolling, yes it's definately worth to try it out!

He has dealers, MusicToyz (although I dont recommend ordering anything from there), Tonefactor.com (have heard good things, 149 $), Custom-Sounds (it's in Finland and the price is higher). Have found other dealers as well, but here are few. It's also really easy & nice to deal with Paul himself, but if you cant wait, maybe you should check out if someone has them in stock..

Report back if you find one! It's my all time favourite, and stacks great with a COT.. The woodiest sound I've ever heard.

8. Realfi

This arrived at my inbox today from Mr Crowther:

Probably be called "Double Hotcake or "Hotcake Hotcake"
    I don't suppose "Hotcake Super Twin" would be so clever.
    Same size as a P&C, but rotated by 90deg. Footswitches will
    be same distance from the controls.
    (E)mail order price about US$250-00.
    When both units are switched in, there will be a couple of different distortion sound options.
    Best regards,
    Paul C.

Still a bit mysterious in some respects I know but at least it answers a couple of questions such as price and dimensions.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Thank you sir!

I definitely see one of these in my future.

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Perfect, thanks a bunch!
    I'm too very excited about this.. Maybe I'll replace my dual Hot Cake setup with the Double Hot Cake. I was planning to make my other cake redundant from my board but would really hate to see it go, so maybe the double hot cake will be the asnwer... I could sell my other Hot Cake, keep the other one and order the double hc. Then I could use the additional Cake at home, doing direct recordings. It works pretty nicely in that aplication as well!

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Great! Really looking forward to that. I'll have to give it a go when Paul releases it. Hopefully it won't be out at the same time as Fulltone Double-D, or whatever it was. That is something I want to look into too...

12. drolling

drolling Member

Yep- I've really, really gotta stop hanging round here- there's an MI-audio BluesPro in the mail and a Sybil dual Ge/Si fuzz under construction. Back on the list for a Tim/Timmy.

And I just got word from Paul that he's shooting for a February release of the Double...

13. Toasted

Toasted Member

Wow, looks great :) Exciting stuff! The hotcake always sounded great on bass to me.

14. Realfi

Yeah Feb is what I was told recently too-although originally they were going to ship around Xmas.

Still, it's my birthday in Feb so that'd be perfect.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Sold my hotcake to get a bluesberry version, I wonder if this will be a cooler option... maybe one side is original, one side bluesberry? set one to clean boost, one to add a bit of dirt? I'm not sure I really need a "double hotcake," as I still have to experiment with how I want it to work with my other pedals. I'm short on cable, but I think I will either use it at the very end of my "dirty" chain, or, if it sounds OK before wah,envelope filter phaser, echo and germanium transistors in a Squeeze Factor and Hellbaby, maybe I'll put it at the very front of the chain like Paul suggested to me in an email. I think it's best sound is the clean boost, besides, with the Hellbilly and Hellbaby and the Ghia, I don't really need too much extra dirt, though I have a bunch of flavors that will be available... plus, a little knob twisting never hurt anyone. Or, maybe I will just get the Bluesberry version and put it at the back of the OD chain as a booster, maybe get a Z Vex SHO for the very front (not sure if the germanium and phase/echo/envelope filter will behave badly with that pedal, either). The double pedals are cool, but it would be even cooler if it had the options for hookup like the CC2 has, where you can put them anywhere in your chain and in any order (individual ins and outs for each side), with complicated setups (and in general), maybe a Bluesberry and a SHO is the way to go. I haven't entirely done enough full on experiments to know if I even want to use it "off" to buffer, or just leave it on as a constant clean boost for dynamics and cool sound, which factors into where it should go on the boards...

16. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I don't know if I missed something, but maybe someone can clarify for me! Is the Double like a 2 stage unit, one lower boost one higher, or both the same levels that can be combined for greater boost or OD?

I have a TopHat Club Royale that I would use it with which is kind of a Voxy/Marshall type amp........

Joe

17. Realfi

Hi there nashvillesteve and joek86. Below is the initial message I posted on another thread which kicked off this one. I think it will answer most of your questions:

From Mr Crowther:
    I have a double unit coming up. You'll
    > be able to have either or both switched on. The Level and Presence
    > controls of the first unit don't affect the econd onewhen they are
    > both switched in, so it becomnes a "Double Drive" Hotcake , and there
    > will be a couple of different options (with a little toggle switch)
    > when both are on.

When we last spoke he was saying one side would be voiced as a Blueberry the other as a stock/original cake.

18. Somnos

Somnos Member

Brilliant!! I will certainly be getting my paws on one of those. :RoCkIn
    Thanks Realfi!

19. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I am 100% digging my Hotcake Bluesberry, and the layering-drive feature of this box sounds like it could a VERY useful tool. If one is voiced like the Bluesberry I would be very tempted. Since a lot of guys seem to run the HC at low-to-medium gain levels, it seems like cascading two HCs in one box might just sound great.
    Anyone ever run more than one HC like this?

20. asdf

asdf Member

What is Paul's email?