Double Nickels on the Dime

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Just put this on, haven't listened to this in a long time, and man these guys are just ripping ...

Echo Are

Mike Watt, D. Boon, and George Hurley: great players. And in the world of punk rock, one of the "rules" is you're not supposed to be to play an instrument very well(or at all), and yet these guys and their band were highly regarded by folks in that genre, and rightly so. Very cool.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Great double album from a legendary band. Thanks for the reminder.

Scott766

A friend of mine once said "If you don't like this record there's something wrong with you." I totally agree.

willc68

One of the greatest double LP's.
I wore this out when I was in the Army in the 80's.
Mike Watt and the Missingmen played Philly a few weeks ago and were great.
They did a few Minutemen songs for their encore.

Keasley

Definitely one of my all time fave albums. It just oozes with creativity, sincerity, smarts and passion. And pound-for-pound, maybe the best collection of riffs ever assembled on a single (double) album. Bass riffs, guitar riffs, drum riffs. 50 songs. No duds (even if the 4th side of the vinyl is called 'chaff'. And those guys could lock into a groove like nobody's business. Band chemistry like that is rare in any genre.

smokey

I didn't know the Minutemen that well when they were around, but a couple of years ago I saw the documentary "We Jam Econo" and I was hooked. They had such a unique style and fun personality. A real shame that D. Boone met such a tragic end. I wonder what he would be playing today.

dead mike

i truely beieve they are the most underrated band of all time. seriously, the playing is as good as it gets, Hurley is a MONSTER.
the weird part is im sitting at work listening to this album on youtube and decide to check out tgp, ahh karma.
rip D Boon

bassethound

Definitely one of my all time fave albums. It just oozes with creativity, sincerity, smarts and passion. And pound-for-pound, maybe the best collection of riffs ever assembled on a single (double) album. Bass riffs, guitar riffs, drum riffs. 50 songs. No duds (even if the 4th side of the vinyl is called 'chaff'. And those guys could lock into a groove like nobody's business. Band chemistry like that is rare in any genre.

No doubt, even with three great "parts" the sum was still greater. Awesome album from an awesome band.

Agitator

An all-time classic. One of the top three or four albums of the 80s. I regret that I pretty much missed out on these guys and didn't really tune into this album until the early 90s.

A-Bone

An all-time classic. One of the top three or four albums of the 80s. I regret that I pretty much missed out on these guys and didn't really tune into this album until the early 90s.
:agree

I heard the name for years (maybe a tune or two), and listened to Black Flag and also sorts of bands around them, but did not really start listening to D. Boon till after he had passed away.

Keasley

I have a different kind of regret. I loved the Minutemen from the get-go. I still have a copy of the Paranoid Time 7" I bought in 1982. But I never saw them live and it still bugs me to this day.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
I love the Minutemen. This is a perfect album, but don't forget Buzz Or Howl Under The Influence Of Heat or What Makes A Man Start Fires....all so kiler.

The Minutemen documentary We Jam Econo should be required viewing for all young musicians.

alschnier

Silver Supporting Member
highly recommend "we jam econo" the doc about the minutemen. plenty of great footage...

A-Bone

highly recommend "we jam econo" the doc about the minutemen. plenty of great footage...
For sure, as well as great interview segments with many of the most important figures in SoCal hardcore and Indie Rock.

Trending Topics