Double Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hapharriman, Jun 1, 2015.

1. hapharriman

hapharriman Silver Supporting Member

Ok, I've come to love the sound of my Magic Vibro Prince, built to 60's blackface spec I believe. Mine has a 12 and is in a slightly taller cabinet. It looks like a mini super reverb. Works great in lots of situations but not so much where more headroom is needed and mic'ing is not part of the picture.

Is there an amp that offers the Princeton sound and character with more wattage, headroom, power, etc.? A DR is in the ballpark but doesn't sound the same. Maybe the whole vibe of Princeton is the small box, low wattage thing but I'd be curious to know if such a thing exists...

2. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Get another.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  3. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I figured this was going to be about using two Princetons. I had a friend who gigged with two Silverface Champs. He stacked them and it had a great effect.

4. hapharriman

Considering that option..

5. GasMask

GasMask Member

Add one of these?

[​IMG]

Trotter likes this.
  6. hapharriman

Thanks, followed the threads on this, would be a great option. Wonder if are this is really neutral when amplifying?

7. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I would get another...

Sometimes I dream of a couple Princeton Combo's with 12" speaker running in stereo. Amazing clean tones....

mscaggs likes this.
  8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

perhaps an over-sized cab with more efficient spkr

or

one of those parallel se 6v6 or 6l6 amps...to which I'd love to have with an octal pre and tube rectified.

9. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

A Bad Cat Unleash will allow the Princeton to go from 12 watts to 100 watts and would be perfect for this application.

10. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I agree with running two Princetons or adding a second amp of a different flavor like a tweed for an interesting sonic mix (ala Mike Campbell). I may be in the minority but I didn't care for the Unleash. I tried to like it but it just felt and sounded off to me.

Josh

s360guitarist likes this.
  11. wookiefoot

wookiefoot Gold Supporting Member

Vintage Sound Vintage 20 w/ 6L6s will give you a Princeton like tone with more headroom

12. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

This

13. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I went through this same process, and ultimately ended up getting the Fryette Power Station. I couldn't be happier. Does exactly what I was looking for - making my Princeton Reverb sound bigger. I didn't want a Deluxe Reverb because they sound nothing like Princeton Reverbs. The PS provides a level of versatility and flexibility to my rig that just plain would not exist with another combo added to the stable. The FX loop, impedance matching, ability to run another cab, EQ options, etc etc are fantastic. The best part is that I can use it with my other amps, or a backline amp, or in the studio with some other cool pieces.

I've since played about 6 gigs with my '68 Princeton Reverb and the Power Station, and I have all the control over my tone that I'll ever need with those two running together.

14. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

The only amps with four 6v6's that's I'm aware of are either tweed-inspired or more Deluxe Reverb-inspired. You could always go custom, but I'm always reluctant to recommend that when there are good, lower cost options that are readily available.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you need enough volume and headroom to allow a clean, Princeton-voiced sound to carry a room. A speaker swap to a very efficient speaker might get you there, but I'd be surprised. If you love your current tone and just need more of it, I think an Unleash or a Power Station (as mentioned by earlier posters), along with an extension cabinet, will get you more displacement/volume/etc. With used Princeton Reverb reissues out there in plentiful supply, picking up a second amp might be a viable option. If you're fine with vintage, there are always the Princeton amps without reverb. The blackface-era ones are slightly different sounding, but much more clean headroom than the Princeton Reverbs. I dig the brown-era Princetons.

Of course, some folks seem to think that a Princeton Reverb sounds much like a tiny Super Reverb. If that's not too much extra volume, weight, etc., it might be worth looking into. But I'm biased - Super Reverbs are my absolute favorite amp, so recommending one is almost a reflex for me.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I love 6V6 amps! I started with a Tweed Deluxe, Blackface Deluxe Reverb, '66 Bandmaster (5881's) and PRRI. The best all around amp I've found is the Vox TB18C1, with a Master Volume. I went to a lighter, more effeceint speaker, an Eminence Lil' Texas, dropping the weight to 36 lbs. I use the SCXD and Laney Cub 10 at church and when giving guitar lessons. I've also bi-amped them successfully.

[​IMG]

16. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I think Princeton and Princeton Reverbs have a subtly unique sound. Pretty much anything you do will compromise that sound. Adding a 12" speaker... putting in larger transformers and 6L6's instead of 6V6's, changing the phase inverter circuit... all of these will change the tone. That's why I think, given your OP, two PR's may be the right solution.

For me, I wanted that circuit, but adding a 12" JBL added the slightest volume/head room and was a compromise I was willing to make. Building my (clone) with larger transformers and 6L6's didn't make it much louder, but it did make it clearer and add some bigness to the tone. It's not a bigger princeton reverb, but it's as close as I was able to get.

17. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Jackson Ampworks Fullerton.

18. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Finally someone has the right answer. Everyone else here is wrong, in my not even slightly humble opinion.

19. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I own a PR, 2 DRs, a VR and a SR. The PR is a SF and the rest are BF amps. When I want a "louder" PR, I bring out the Vibrolux Reverb. Two me, it sounds more like a louder PR than does either of my DRs or my SR.

20. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I use a Badcat Unleash with my DR because its not loud enough. I stick the Unleash right in the back of the cabinet. I prefer that over lugging two amps.