Double trackers

kludge

The droid you're looking for
I'm doing a bunch of recording now and looking at pedals that can do ADT (automatic double tracking). I want to do guitars of course, but I'd like to do vocals as well. So looking at candidates.

The three that are on my radar now are the TC Mimiq, Keeley 30ms, and Strymon Deco. Anything else I should be thinking of? Pluses and minuses of these pedals? Other pedals I should be considering?

The Pro Guitar Shop demo for the Deco that starts with "Starship Trooper" is really enchanting, but I'm not just looking for that through-zero dirty sound. The 30ms seems to sound best for double tracking overall, but the ability to generate extra voices with the Mimiq is pretty cool.

What really matters, though, is I want something that I can run vocals through during mixing.

DaveKS

If your recording why not just do it at mix down? All these devices are made to bring that sound to a live setup, not really needed in the studio.

Ansible

Keeley 30ms is a very short delay with a reverb. TC mimiq has a more sophisticated and controllable algorithm to emulate the tiny differences that make multi-tracking great. 30ms is very cool, but I'm not sure it's any better than a digital delay with fine controls (like Vox Delaylab). TC Mimiq will go in and out of time in a way that the Keeley cannot.

TC Mimiq has stereo ins & outs, while the keeley is mono in and stereo TRS out. I'd rather not have to buy new chords.

I didn't respect the Mimiq when I first saw it, but I've come around on it. I don't think I'd ever own one unless I had two fancy amps with distinct sounds to run in stereo, but it's the best value for what it's trying to do. I have 0 use for tape saturation so the Deco is overkill for me, but I'm sure it's great.

Last edited:

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Keeley 30ms is a very short delay with a reverb. TC mimiq has a more sophisticated and controllable algorithm to emulate the tiny differences that make multi-tracking great. 30ms is very cool, but I'm not sure it's any better than a digital delay with fine controls (like Vox Delaylab). TC Mimiq will go in and out of time (in opposite directions) in a way that the Keeley cannot.

TC Mimiq has stereo ins & outs, while the keeley is mono in and stereo TRS out. I'd rather not have to buy new chords.

I didn't respect the Mimiq when I first saw it, but I've come around on it. I don't think I'd ever own one unless I had two fancy amps with distinct sounds to run in stereo, but it's the best value for what it's trying to do. I have 0 use for tape saturation so the Deco is overkill for me, but I'm sure it's great.

I actually do have two fancy amps with distinct sounds, which is one of the things that tempts me. :)

Ansible

Then I think you're exactly the audience for the Mimiq! The 30ms seems little heavy for vocals, too. Mimiq would be more subtle.

Kind of a bummer it's not a toneprint pedal, it would be pretty amazing if you had EQ and sway control via the app.

gearscrubs

I've only tried the DECO, but it's a very cool and versatile pedal. The tape saturation adds a lot to the vibe.

If it's for recording, also consider the Waves ADT plugin.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom