double tracking guitars

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by clarkydaz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Member

any well known examples/ albums that demonstrate nice double tracking? i'm recording an album (1st timer!) :dude next month and the producer recommends i double track.

2. eyeteeth

eyeteeth Member

What style, genre, and time frame? I think the majority of stuff out there has multiple tracked guitars for rhythm tracks. I vaguely remember reading somewhere Brian May would track up to 40 passes of his guitar parts on some Queen albums...

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

This might be a really stupid question, but I've only ever multi-track recorded on my Zoom MRS-8, and on my computer on Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro. When I've wanted texture to my rhythms (or solos) I've just recorded on to two or three tracks simultaneously. Maybe add a touch of flange or chorus to one or the other track after the fact and pan each effect to one side or the other, or both. This has worked really well for me. What's the advantage to doing multiple attempts to play the exact same thing when you can just do one take and alter different versions of it later? I'm just getting into this, so sorry if it's a stupid question.

4. nosignal

nosignal Member

ive never been a fan of doubling guitars if its a band with two guitarists. maybe its because the bands i record can barely play, im not sure but ive never got a result that ive really liked, it always ends up just sounding like i put a bunch of corus on the tracks. Although ive had some good tracks with just one guitarist, taking two gutiar tracks and panning them hard right and left

5. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Almost all modern rock (metal and similar) specially hi-gain tracks are somehow doubled/tripled. Almost all. Period. Don't ask proofs, I see it every days in studios.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

You'll hear a lot double tracked rhythym guitars in hard rock/metal music. Early Sabbath is a good example. If you listen carefully you can hear two distict takes on the right and left speakers. Modern examples would be the Metalica Black album. A track left, a track right and many, MANY tracks down the center.

Alice in Chains went way over the top employing as many as three different amps for one take. One amp to cover low end, one for the mid frequencies and one for the top end, each with it's own track, then doing multiple takes with that.

You have to play very tight and consistant to have good results. Even if you play exactly the same, there will be small variations in the takes. Thats where the magic is. Simply cutting and pasting one performance won't yield the same results. The takes have to be close enough so that when blended together, it sounds like one guitar. It can be tedious.

You can double track leadwork but the need for precise takes increases, making it much harder to do. But if you can pull it off, it's a very cool sound.

It really does depend on the type of music you play and how "produced" you want it to sound. If I were to record a blues song I wouldn't feel a need for double tracking. But if I were going for a modern rock/heavy sound it really does take the guitar tracks to another level you can't attain any other way.

Just to qualify, i'm not a pro engineer but i've done a lot studio work in pro places and I own my own modest home studio. Double tracking is very common but again, it depends on the type of music and what the goal is for overall production.