Double Trouble: Yet Another Tube Screamer Post

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jim lavender, Jan 4, 2008.

1. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I know that TS type pedals are not the most popular item on TGP these days but I still like them and everybody needs at least one. I tried out the new Visual Sound Double Trouble a few days ago and was pretty impressed by it's versatilty. Nice TS tones in my opinion and a bass boost on either side to dial out the mid hump if you choose. Also, the pedal seems alot less noisy than my Visual Sound Route 66. I played it with a Tele thru a DRRI at low volume so I don't know how it reacts at live levels.
    I'd like to hear other opinions on this pedal.
    Happy New Year,
    Jim

2. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I tried one out before Christmas and really liked one-side instead of both on. To me it got way too noisy when layered and you really had to do a lot of tweaking to keep it from farting out with both sides going. The bass control is useful (one side only, not both) but you really have to mess with the tone if you don't want it to get too muddy. I think it is a good pedal but I would go for the single pedal version of the Double Trouble. I think it has a great tone without having to cascade it.

3. screamingduck

screamingduck Gold Supporting Member

If anyone knows TS tones, it is you Mr. L. Actually, if anyone knows great guitar sounds in general, again it is you. Great tones out of that Tele and those Gretches as well not to mention some mighty tasty licks.:BEER

4. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

i built a byoc screamer which is essentially an 808. its a great pedal. really useful for me to get some classic crunch. i will eventually mod it to have clipping diodes a la one of the most expensive and touted booteeks.
    yeah the mids on a screamer are insane but for rock it works well. that said the pedal dont work into my ac30 as others have found.
    i would imagine any pedal based on a TS foundation but with some more EQ would be see lots of use and sound great for rock

5. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I can see that happening. I played the pedal at low volumes and I didn't really crank the gain on either side.
    Screaming Duck: Thanks for the kind words.