doubling delay for funky clean guitar parts ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nic'o'caster, Mar 22, 2008.

1. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

I've read somewhere that a typical trick for disco/funk tracks was doubling the guitar with a very short delay. It was called double delay or something like that... One can hear that effect on many super clean guitar parts of the dance tracks in the 80's, as in Straight Ahead from Nick Straker Band, or many tunes from Kool & The Gang or Delegation...

Well I can imagine this trick working well in a studio, but not live. I've tried everything from a very short delay to phaser or chorus (set to a very slow rate), but it does the opposite, they all wash my tone down instead of making it stronger !

Anyone has good advice ? a good story ? Any disco geetar icon remembering his golden age ? Any help appreciated !

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Since I use primarily clean tones & play funk/soul/disco for a living ..
    I swear by Optic compressors for doing exactly what you're describing..

Especially when you want to keep it clean & quacky without any grit or breakup on the tone ...
    Breakup or grit can really can take away from the funky attack needed & put a damper on playing crisp, syncopated rhythms ...

So only other thing I would insit upon is headroom... lots of headroom on an amp is a necessity ....

3. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Hey Lucidology , thanks for the answer. What's the difference of tone between a classic comp and an opto one ?

I usually use an Analogman compressor all the time depending on the guitar I use. It really helps some guitars for an "in yo face" quacky tone ! It also helps the scratching 16th dead notes stand in the mix.

I have to agree with you about the headroom, even if I'm reluctant to use a Twin because of the weight (gigging should be fun, no ?) and also because I like playing with a slightly overdriven tone on some dirtier funk numbers...

btw I like the live clean tone of Prince. I guess it's just his Tele and a Twin with not much in between ?

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

An optic compressor stays much cleaner then a dynacomp or aross type comp ...
    & is capable of extremely transparent boosts ...

But bro.. I've got to tell you.. we have exactly the same taste in tone
    & are going for the same things in music ...

I use either a twin, Roland JC-120 or a Peavey Classic 50 (which has a great deal of headroom) ...

The only thing different is that I often use a Chorus to fill out the sound & cut through a mix (especially if there's no keyboard player)

You can check me out here:

Nasty~Our Funk Trio Live - The Gear Page

YouTube Segue (Our Band's Gig-Go-Getter) - The Gear Page

5. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Hey Jo!
    Cool playing, nice pocket ! and also a Tele fan... You're a man of taste :)

If I want to lug around a Twin or a JC-120 I'd have to begin a gym class ! Seriously I hate to carry those heavy amps to gigs, and often they are just too much for small clubs. But indeed they sound good. I recently purchased a silverface Pro Reverb : all the qualities of the Twin with a little less weight and I can go past 3 on the volume ;)

About opto compressor, do you have any recommandation ?
    I’ve read the Demeter Compulator and the Diamond Compressor are top notch in this category. I like the idea of the 'tilt' EQ on the Diamond. I listened to the clips on their website, hard to tell from online clips but it seems to do the job. Still, I’m not sure I’d break the bank since I already own the analogman.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I swear by a Maxon CP101 ... it's a one trick pony but it's the perfect trick ..
    have owned both the Demeter & the Diamond ...& a Keeley (etc. etc. etc)