Doubling effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Glowing Tubes, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I hear this used on solos from time to time. Like on some Amy Mann.
    Basically like a doubler. Just wondering if anybody has heard of a pedal that creates this effect. I like it.:JAM

RC

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Its usually a studio rack unit, like an Eventide or something similar panned in stereo. Or the guy just doubled his parts. Its amazing how often guys are doubling their parts on CDs. I double parts or use Pro Tools plug-in to get the fatter tone, a little goes a long way.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What you're trying to reproduce is the sound of two guitars playing the same riff. It often has slight errors in timing and tuning so you get blurring of the attack/release of the notes (like a very short delay) and some phase shift. Many studio effects use a flange (extremely short delay with modulation) setting to accomplish this. I think you might get even closer with an extemely short modulated delay and a little phase plugged in-so a Memory Lane and a Phaser both set at minimum effect?

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Isn't a nicely set chorus akin to the same effect?

5. Dreamtone

Dreamtone Member

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Do you have a shop in Rochester?

7. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

The short delay trick works great to give it the kind of doubling effect. I've also done it successfully with a delay set for longer repeats and then trying to match it while playing, which is rather difficult but not impossible. The trick is to make sure the delay repeats are set loud enough so that it actually sounds like they're still in sync. I used to do this all the time with a tape sim. digital delay.

I think maybe a flanger might be closer.

edit:
    harmonizers can also get this job done; however, I hate the way those usually sound. Usually remind me of something out of the 80's, like a robot smashing a trashcan.

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

Nothing beats double tracking.

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

ADT or automatic double tracking has been with us since the Beatles. Paul was great at singing the same part twice. John HATED doing that which led to an electrical solution. Basically all you need is a delay pedal. Set it for 20-30 ms and zero feedback or repeats. If you modulate the delay time (vary it up and down) you add a chorus effect to the sound. You can also modulate the pitch of the delayed signal by a few cents for another cool variation. Most multi-FX have a couple doubling presets using delay or harmonizer algorithms and many times what you hear on albums these days is a doubling preset from an Eventide Harmonizer.