Douchebag Venue Proprietor / Cancelled Gig Rant

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baminated, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

It's actually a place that has two locations, packs their own crowd, and our job is to entertain their crowd. Sounds simple, right ?

Well first of all, it's in a beach/condo area, and people call the cops alot, the place has been cited a $400 penalty last week (before we played there) or possibly the competition down the street who has been in business decades longer, & sicked the dogs on the place, because they are louder and never get cited.

So we get load in all of our gear , and had to wait over an hour, because they sat a birthday party down of many adjoined tables in our playing area, hampering us from setting up.

Since we get a $75 tab on the house, we decided to use that time for a dinner break since setup was a wash.

So after an hour, the manager says, "oh by the way, if we get cited, the $400 citation money comes out of your pay, if the cops get called"

We asked why they didn't let us know about that earlier in the week when they booked the gig and gave us the chance to accept or decline those terms in advance, & why they decided to spring it on us before set up, after driving all the way there with our gear, loading it in, then waiting over an hour w/our thumb up our @$$.

We declined to do the gig and decided not to roll the dice on some crotchety condo douche calling the cops. They charged us full price for the dinner tab because we didn't play. Great way to cap off the night !

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Wow...that's a new one. Goes along with the thread in the Pub about Club owners though. Here's the thing...what he tried to do was illegal. You sure as heck know if he needed a Carpenter to make an emergency repair at night, and the noise from the Nail Gun or saw was the reason why some geezer in a Condo calls the cops...the Carpenter is still getting paid even if the owner is cited.

Sorry ....that was crappy.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

We had a place ask us to sign a contract that if the elevator broke going up to second floor where we were playing that we would liable for all repair costs. I refused and told the owner of the 100 year old building, " How do I know how you have maintained your elevator over the years?" We schlepped all of our stuff up the staircase and haven't played there since.

4. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

Wow. That is lame.

5. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I would venture to guess that part of the reason they get cited and the other club doesn't is because they pull this kind of crap.
    It will come back to bite them in the ass if it already hasn't.
    Who is to say that the local cops don't have relatives in bands who have played in the place? Or that the condo dwellers who called the cops don't have a bone of contention about the place for some other reason.
    When bands get taken advantage of by clubs, word gets around.

Also, had it been me, chances are there would have been band members refusing to shell out a thing, and sticking together like glue to swear they had consumed nothing.

6. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

Contract.

Get one.

No matter how small the gig, use it.

It will lock you out of few places, but it makes you seem more legit and this stuff won't happen.

It will also tell you who is the legit venue owners really are....... It doesn't have to be complicated but it does need to have a few requirements for your protection.

7. pbmw

pbmw Member

Words to live by.
    I don't play crap gigs any more. I just don't need the BS.

8. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

Yeah man I would have walked away on that one too. Stupid club owerer probebly telling everybody what a bunch of asses you are. Oh well.

Only thing I heard close to this is the owner told the band that "If I have to tell you to turn down, you don't get paid" but that was in advance, part of the deal you might say. But still you gotta hope the the old bugger is in a good mood that night........

9. Baminated

Baminated Member

Only works in the private event world. There are no venues here who will sign contracts. As soon as you start busting out contracts , you won't work anywhere.

10. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

We played a place that is outdoors but about 1/2 mile from any home. Still, we heard that some people do call the cops on them if they can hear the music. Here in phoenix it used to be a minor priority call for the cops - but they changed the law so you now get one warning (which this place already had) and the next time its a $1000 fine.

They warned us not to play too loud, so we just miked everything and ran it through the PA. It turned out we were even quieter than we though in the audience, people later told us "it was good to hear a rock band where we could still talk at the tables."

In other words, it didn't affect our performance one bit. I'm just saying I agree the night didn't start right andf there were bad vibes, but chances are you could have done the gig with no problems. And its up to the clubowned to tell you if you are too loud (its his club), so if you double check with him and he gives the OK, if the cops show up its not your fault.

If he withholds your pay - small claims court.

11. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Yup... though some here seem completely oblivious to this fact.

Venues have the upper hand. They don't need a contract nor do they need to book bands that require them.

Expecting otherwise is just not reality in many situations.

12. Baminated

Baminated Member

I was a fill in for this gig - but first of all, the band is a top40/AOR group and never gets loud anyway. In the past, The main lineup actually played stripped down, & quiet with monitors as the mains, light sticks, disconnected sub, etc . . . and the cops still got called some months back. Some peeps def have it in for this place and it seems like they're getting singled out

In regards to small claims court - the venue's second location has no such problems and has the band booked every friday for 2 months - so that would be suicide !

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

it's lame but why do you say it's illegal? it's a matter of contract negotiation, not legal/illegal (as far as I can see). but still very very lame.:huh

14. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

If you've done your job, yet the Club Owner gets cited, the fine comes out of the your pay? One word: NO. Those two things do not have a correlation. The owner has all the responsibility to ensure his business operates within the required code constraints. In this case, there's either a Maximum Decibel Level that can't be exceeded, or time constraint that the Decibel Level may not exceed. And you're telling me that if the band is quieter, yet between sets,they crank the Juke Box which then triggers a Police Response...,that the band loses $400?

Most incorporated areas have their Business & Profession Codes that contain that information. Had it been my band, I would have called the local PD to see what the law was, then went to Radio Shack to buy a DB Meter for the Sound Man to monitor. ( I've done that before) . The club owner should have one too, with a Flip Camera aimed on it as evidence of compliance to defend himself from further Harrasment, provided he's following the law.

Now, if the B&P Code contains language that says "Any sounds made that disrupt your quite...no matter what time", then it's not worth doing the gig. But I've played in plenty of cities where the B&P is set by 110 Dbl up to 10:00 p.m., then the rest is established by the Venues Use Permit. The negotiating that's done is your pay, and when it's collected.

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

hey folks,
    i'm about to get back out live for the first time in about four years and lost my old contract. . . though i remember some of the important things i used to put in there. . . . could either one of you send me a copy of what you are using?

thanks.. . . .

16. Lance

Lance Member

Well if you're not going to play there anymore, I would've done at least $75.00 worth of damage to bathroom, or parking lot, etc. Glass houses are easy targets. Never could figure out why someone in that position would throw stones.

17. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

and no way i would have paid that tab. . .
    "75 doesn't even cover my time wasted tonight, man"

18. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yep.

19. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    :agree

Two words:
    Acoustic Sets! (quiet, sad, moody ones at that)

20. Structo

Structo Member

Maybe this kind of thing will keep bands from playing ridiculously loud.

I'm all for rock and have played guitar for 40 years but when I go to a club and the music is so loud that my ears are instantly ringing and where I can't tell what song they are playing because it is one big noise, then they deserve to be fined.
    Yeah, I'm old and grumpy but you will be too in 30 years.

I think a band can sound great, clean and not too loud and still rock out.

Like a nice stereo system turned up where if you raise your voice you can be heard.

If it's just one big noise then it's no good for anybody.

My 2 cents.