Doug Aldrich + RR Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Speed_Racer71, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

2. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

that was cool......goes to show though that even aldridge has a small bag of trix,so alls u need is a small bag of trix but play them very well!!!

3. jbert58

jbert58 Member

Great playing by Aldrich.

The Marshall rep probably needs to ease up on the coffee and tone down the "its really cool to insult the audience" sales approach...

4. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Was that supposed to be good? The gain, tones, everything sounded buzzy as Aldrich' technique seemed limited.

5. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I agree 100% but I don't ever recall thinking Randy had a good tone to begin with. Decent player but I would'nt be searching for his tone. Sounded like a DS-1 into just about anything to me.

6. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

Has anyone heard him on the album "Slave To The Thrill" by Hurricane? He's got a good tone going there. He's a lot better player than what he is doing in the video. You could also check out some Dio or Lion when he played with them back in the 80's.

I don't like him in the youtube video, tonewise or what he is playing.

7. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

that tone was absolute GASH! no offence.

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Aldrich is a monster player and probably will kill everyone in here. He was great in the recent Whitesnake DVD with Reb Beach.

Hard to judge the tone from a crummy youtube video. I actually liked the other video demo of the RR Marshall but not this one. This one sounded pretty bad.

I'm guessing he was kinda thrown up there so he didn't have a set or planned thing on what he was going to do.

9. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I could find some very creative ways to use that amp in the studio. It would be a cool toy to add textures and colors to otherwise standard sounding amps. Love it or hate it, Randy's tone was like no other.

10. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I dunno I think he sounds pretty insane (his playing).. his left hand is so unique, very interesting. yes the tone is bad but remember, it's just a crappy camera mic from afar.. you can't judge tone from that.

11. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I did not like that tone one bit , though im sure it will sound better if you were there.

Bryan

12. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

Well, it does sound alot like Randy. It has some interesting characteristics, but I was never a big fan of his sound/tone--too much buzz for me. Doug does do a nice job of showing the amp off.

13. Ghostman574

Ghostman574 Member

I agree about the camera mic and tone. As far as Doug Aldrich's playing...A clip in which he is basically messing around doesn't do him justice. Doug is an amazing player, both with and without Whitesnake.

14. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Doug is an amazing player and he is just an all around great guy to! With that said, the tone of the amp on that demo would have been WAY better if they recorded it in the sound booth with the amp cranked up a bit. There was limited space in the booth and not many people would be able to watch the demo, so they decided to hold the demo out in front of the display. They had to keep the volume down low because of the noise restrictions at NAMM and IIRC the amp was squashed down with an attenuator and it sounded like crap. That particular amp sounds way better cranked and I think Doug did an amazing job considering what he had to work with. :BEER

All the best!!
    and BTW... Doug Owns!!!

Ralph

15. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

best line, "just so you know, this amplifier sounds amazing, as you've just heard" :messedup :rotflmao

16. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Not the best sound clip, but Doug's an amazing player.

17. JTM100

JTM100 Member

Looks like they were going thru a Marshall Powerbrake which colors the tone immensley. Your amp thru one of those will not even remotely sound like it does unnattenuated....much more so than other attenuators I ahve tried.

18. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

19. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

20. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i was in the marshall sound booth for a while during namm '08 when someone was demoing the rr head through an older style 4x12. the aldrich/bowcott demo seemed to have much more gain than the live demo i witnessed. when i was present, the player had the head turned about 1/2 way up or so (non-master 100 watt head) and it was excruciatingly loud. i mean LOUD. i couldn't take it for very long. they must have had the head turned up all the way to get that kind of gain or they were using a booster/distortion box in front of the amp.