• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Doug Pettibone (Lucinda Williams) Trem Pedal?

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
Messages
7,175
When I saw them recently Doug is an absolute pedal whore - HUGE pedal board, I couldnt quite see the individual pedals to ID them, but krikey...... it might even be amp trem too...... but he used it alot
 

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
3,669
The latest CD has a shout out to Line6. I really hope all those great tremolo sounds are coming out of something other than a modeler.
 

G'OlPeachPhan

Member
Messages
1,185
I don't know which one he actually uses, but the TCJ Luxury Twin Rate Trem gets great Pettibone trem sounds... The trem on the Fillmore recording is very amp-like IMO, (un)even if it is a pedal (pun intended). :cool:
 

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
Messages
7,175
Yeah listening to how much he used it, I was wishing I could get him a Mint Green Mini Vibe, I know he'd love it with that unique hypnotic throb....
 

AndyZ

Member
Messages
979
I was on the phone with Taras (Lucinda's bassist) a couple of days ago about some session work. When he calls back this week I'll try to remember to ask him about Doug's trem unit he's using.
 

pepperco

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,005
Originally posted by AndyZ
I was on the phone with Taras (Lucinda's bassist) a couple of days ago about some session work. When he calls back this week I'll try to remember to ask him about Doug's trem unit he's using.
Please do, this is becoming quite the mystery,

we should have a reward for pix of his pedalboard !!
 

Improviser

Member
Messages
416
DP uses a Prescription Electronics Throb tremolo, utilising 2 different trem speeds and sometimes for helicopter-style effects.
 
Messages
1,678
the Throb trem sounds so good, but it has a slight volume drop that made it not work out on my board. I switched to the Frantone Vibutron. Same great sound as the throb, no volume drop. If any of you love trem and haven't tried the Vibutron, please do so.
 

drspencer

Member
Messages
110
Can anyone comment on the Pres. Elec. Throb pedal? I've read that it's not true bypass and has other issues.
Thanks
 
Messages
1,678
Like I mentioned above your post, the Throb definitely has a volume drop when engaged. It's also not true bypass. The Vibutron gets the same great sound without the volume drop and it is true bypass.
 

ezra-g

Member
Messages
4
I took this photo of Doug Pettibone's pedal board at the 2/18/06 duo concert with lucinda williams at the aladdin theatre in portland, or.

looks like he's got a trob AND a Demeter Tremulator. Any idea why he'd use two? maybe different pedals for different songs? I wonder which he used on 'fruits of my labor' on the original recorded version.

Anyone know how these two pedals compare? How about to the Supa Trem?

Thanks,

-ezra

 

Improviser

Member
Messages
416
ezra-g said:
I took this photo of Doug Pettibone's pedal board at the 2/18/06 duo concert with lucinda williams at the aladdin theatre in portland, or.

looks like he's got a trob AND a Demeter Tremulator. Any idea why he'd use two? maybe different pedals for different songs? I wonder which he used on 'fruits of my labor' on the original recorded version.

Anyone know how these two pedals compare? How about to the Supa Trem?

Thanks,

-ezra
Wow, thanks for the pic (despite the huge size) !

You're right, looks like a rehoused Tremulator and the PE Throb being used. I use a Tremulator and it is an all-round good-sounding trem, whereas the Throb (based on the EH Pulsar) I believe DP uses for the helicopter effects.

Can anyone list all of the effects, and in which running order they are arranged?
 

retro

Member
Messages
1,673
AndyZ said:
I was on the phone with Taras (Lucinda's bassist) a couple of days ago about some session work. When he calls back this week I'll try to remember to ask him about Doug's trem unit he's using.

Would you mind telling him, I would love to take Lucinda out to dinner...:cool:
 

pepperco

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,005
Very Cool !

Thanks for the pic.

Now we know, ......lets detail the pedals.

What is the way huge and the guytron ?
 

BmoreTele

Member
Messages
1,135
I think that's a Guyatone MR-2. Discontinued for patent infringement or some such thing.

God I am such a geek. :jo
 

pepperco

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,005
BmoreTele said:
God I am such a geek. :jo
Well you are among friends.:eek:

I am enamoured by this pedalboard, a working mans board.
Few observations, could be wrong

-Zvex SHO (top right).....first in chain? possibly always on / buffering ?
-2 trems, in the front row, as it shoud be, the throb must do the
helecopter sound.
-Red Snapper front and center, must be his main solo booster.
-AD80 set for a REAL tight echo, 100 ms or so, 2 repeats or so.
-Wood block under the fuzz factory ?
-The small box on the bottom right, amp reverb ? amp trem ?
-You think he could get a short AC cable to go from one PPower
to the other......hehe

I really need to try a Hot Cake, so many of my favorite guitarists
use one. Any one feel like taking a shot at the signal chain ?
 

ezra-g

Member
Messages
4
is there an advantage to using one pedal for helicopter effects and the other for regular tremolo when you've got 2 speed settings on the throb already? has anyone A\B'd these pedals personally?
 
Messages
2,703
Improviser said:
Wow, thanks for the pic (despite the huge size) !

You're right, looks like a rehoused Tremulator and the PE Throb being used. I use a Tremulator and it is an all-round good-sounding trem, whereas the Throb (based on the EH Pulsar) I believe DP uses for the helicopter effects.

Can anyone list all of the effects, and in which running order they are arranged?
yeah....it looks like he has the throb set to "chop" trem mode and the faster of the two trem channels looks to be maxed out as fast as it will go......it's a great trem
 




Trending Topics

Top