Doug Roccaforte's HG Mod on A Naylor...Again!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mark Williams, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

I just got back another Naylor from Doug Roccaforte. He did his High Gain Mod on it, and, once again, it's just fantastic to my taste. I have an SC38 & an SD60 that Doug also modified that have been my "gold standard" for a while now (all three chassis, by the way, once belonged to Naylor collector extraordinaire of Houston, Charlie D). This one is the chassis with which Dan Russell and Joe Naylor developed the original SuperClub 38's and, apparently, the Electroverb38's for Naylor. (It was a SuperClub ?? when I got it.)
    I asked Doug to give this one a "darker" than usual voice & give it the same, smooth, gorgeous, 4-stage overdrive that he's done with the others. He certainly delivered. This thing sounds great! It seems to be slightly lower output than my first modded SC38, so it's somewhat different but has the same great tone. Now I have a Rocca-modded SuperDrive60 (Knocks Down Walls) a Rocca-modded SuperClub38 (loud enough for most any gig) and the Rocca-modded prototype SuperClub38 (the great tone & OD at even more managable levels--though it can still get plenty loud if needed.) It makes me wonder why I've gone through hundreds of amps when, for me, at least, this is as good as it gets! The only other amp I've held onto is a Dabeck Custom 50-watt head (which I also love). All the others don't measure up (to my taste, of course.) although many were really good amps. I really appreciate that Doug can work his magic on already terrific Naylor amps and that he's so accessible & flexible during the process (and, HE"S FAST!).
    By the way, here's one thing I've learned: the Naylor amps were not all that consistent, I think. It seems you have to start with a Naylor that you really like the tone of to begin with, which was the case with the three I've kept. I've had a couple that didn't sound so great to begin with, and I didn't like them as much after they were modded either.

2. vgm

vgm Member

Do you have any clips? I would love to hear what your talking about.:D

3. Mark Williams

Unfortunately, I don't have any clips. And it's not as easy as listening to clips of Doug's amps or to the Naylor amp clips. These still retain a good deal of the Naylor character but with the gain improved & the output range increased a la Roccaforte. Maybe Doug, himself, or Charlie Daughtry or Kevin Shows (or somebody else here on the Gearpage) can steer you to some clips of these Rocca-modded Naylors. I'm also wondering if the Roccaforte High Gain 30 might sound a lot like these. Meanwhile, if you see one for sale and you have use for a high-gain amp, BUY IT! :AOK

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Mark, do you still have the Naylor with the cool wood cab? (pearlwood?)

Looks like you've got a Rocca/Naylor for every season! :D

5. Mark Williams

I know the feeling.....but I bought one Naylor already modded (by Joe Naylor and Doug) after owning a couple stock ones. I loved the sound of the Naylors, but, after having the modded ones, I can't go back. The beauty of this is that the Naylor's essential tone is still there. It's just "broadened," for lack of a better word. But, like I said, I certainly understand the feeling about not wanting to mess with a good thing.

6. Mark Williams

I don't still have the lacewood ("pearlwood" sounds even better) cab, but I still have the amp you heard in that cab (that will go no where!). Kevin Shows in Houston actually had this recently modded prototype in that lacewood head cab before I bought the chassis from Charlie through him. He sold the cabinet to someone else.

7. riffmeister

That Rocca/Naylor I heard in the Lacewood cab was indeed a great sounding amp! Very broad-shouldered with no bitter top end. (howz that description?) :D

8. Mark Williams

Yes, a very nice description indeed, Riff ;) ! Reminds me a little of Carl Sandburg for some reason:confused: . All kidding aside, it really is pretty accurate. I especially like that, no matter how thick or dark you dial in the overdrive, it remains articulate--don't know how he does that.

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Ha that's sorta interesting.. I have a SOVTEK MIG 50 modded by Danny Russell when he was with Naylor, that used to be owned by Charlie Daughtry. Small world

ERIC

10. jdzialak

jdzialak Silver Supporting Member

+1
    I have a Duel 60 that sounds killer, but occasionally I think it's a hair too sweet and smooth.
    You got me thinking, though.

Joe

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I think Charlie has owned every amp out there at point or another!

12. Mark Williams

Yes, Eric, it is a small world. I also owned that very Sovtek modified by Danny Russell at one point. I think I got it directly from Charlie.

13. Mark Williams

If you like High Gain that sounds great & smooth, keep a Rocca-mod in mind. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you after Doug's done the mod; I promise!

14. Mark Williams

...and pretty much all the guitars, too.

15. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

good point.

16. ericb

OH GEEZ, I think you're Pompanoo on ebay , and I bought it from you years back.. It's an nice amp (looks beautiful) but i have lots of others I prefer. NOW, if it had a Roccaforte mod to it, that'd be a different story...

To add Doug Roccaforte into the SMALL STORY world, when there was a really nice little boutique amp shop in Portsmouth , NH, I finally got to visit it before it closed business, and the owner 's favorite amp was a Roccaforte modded Marshall... It had been the same amp I tried to buy over the internet the year before! Damn... .

ERIC

17. riffmeister

Yup, he is. I first got to know Mark when he bought a Bruno Leadman 60 from me. Ever since then, we've chided each other on our similar 'excessive-gear-acquiring-ways', LOL!

18. Mark Williams

Right on all counts, Eric. You did buy it from me, and if it had a Roccaforte mod, it would be a different story. In fact, the first Rocca-modded Naylor I got from Charlie--modded first by Joe Naylor & then by Doug--arrived here & convinced me to sell that Sovtek....and to sell a Bad Cat...and to sell a Bogner...etc..etc..etc..
    And, yes, I understand his mods to handwired, late sixties to early seventies Marshall SuperLeads are amazing. I hope to hear one some day.

19. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Hey Ericb, that modded Marshall was bought from the store owner by me, I sold it to a friend. He did something or other to it, and it never sounded as good. I bought it back, and resold it. It was one of my favorite sounding amps of all time, and the master volume feature went from clean to scream, just a great sounding amp.

The store owner posts here often, Rod, he moved to New Mexico. It is a small world isnt it?:dude

20. ericb

HOLY SMOKES!!! I guess it is , what a great story! That store was the Guitar Warehouse in Portsmouth, and yep Rod Wells? was the owner.
    Do you have a real name?? :)

ERIC