Dough Aldrich

Wolfgangsta

Silver Supporting Member
His playing on Hurricane's Slave to the Thrill album is killer. His tone was a bit chorusy, but not bad.

McFuzzwell

Silver Supporting Member
No comment about the guitar playing - but that is a interesting mix - a tremendous amount of separation between the instruments as well as the vocals. Almost sounds like all of the parts were recorded in
different studios and put together in a mixing room with Convolution Reverbs.

Except that Vandenberg's first album was tracked in Sol Studio in 1982 when Jimmy Page owned it. Lots of natural 'verb although if it was done these days there'd likely be a software reverb in place of the real thing.

pak1001

BnUN6Po.jpg
Thank you!

frennis

I've always been impressed with his playing, great rock player and there's a reason why he's always in demand. On a side note, the 30+ years in the biz comment above had me look up his age. He looks great for 55, I figured mid 40s. He must have lived a pretty clean life, doesn't look like most 55 YO dudes in (or out) of rock...

Yer Blues

Amazing guitarist who does an incredible job on the gigs he gets. He's got to be on the top of the list for any major hard rock band or singer looking for a guitarist. Not sure about any original stuff though... the lack of popular songs probably keeps him off the radar of a lot of people as well as the "too cool for hard rock guitar" crowd.

Yer Blues

I was actually thinking about putting a pair of his Suhr pickups in a LP, but then I saw a new (used) pair of OX4 Slash pickups pop up on reverb for a great price. I still need to put them in, but the OX4 set has Alnico V magnets in them like the Suhr Aldrich or Duncan JB... whereas the Slash Duncan set has Alnico II. I figured I'd mix it up a little....

LeftyGtrPlr

I was actually thinking about putting a pair of his Suhr pickups in a LP, but then I saw a new (used) pair of OX4 Slash pickups pop up on reverb for a great price. I still need to put them in, but the OX4 set has Alnico V magnets in them like the Suhr Aldrich or Duncan JB... whereas the Slash Duncan set has Alnico II. I figured I'd mix it up a little....

The Suhr Aldrich pickups are some of the best I've ever played! Hot without being over the top. Responsive and just simply sweet sounding, especially in a Les Paul.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Except that Vandenberg's first album was tracked in Sol Studio in 1982 when Jimmy Page owned it. Lots of natural 'verb although if it was done these days there'd likely be a software reverb in place of the real thing.

Apologies to the OP @Zequila76 - a bit of a Thread HiJack going on here - I hope you are forgiving of this rabbit hole.

Wow pretty cool. I listened to the album on Apple Music - it's impressive to me. Although I haven't followed Vandenberg when listening I remember the ballad was pretty big on the charts. Vandenberg himself has a great rocker tone - solid playing. I imagine if they had Mutt Lange produce them they would probably have been as big as any. As I said before the mixing on the album is unusual to my ears. The Bass Guitar - like many of the 80s Hard Rock albums is generally mixed down really
low - and the drums have some phasing and timing issues. But that's just my opinion - so take it for what you paid for it.

Bankston

I've always been impressed with his playing, great rock player and there's a reason why he's always in demand. On a side note, the 30+ years in the biz comment above had me look up his age. He looks great for 55, I figured mid 40s. He must have lived a pretty clean life, doesn't look like most 55 YO dudes in (or out) of rock...

Doug does not look his age at all. This pic was taken last July. He gave me hair envy:

66236834_10219566566697610_5967189478140280832_n.jpg

Misterbulbous

Amazing guitarist who does an incredible job on the gigs he gets. He's got to be on the top of the list for any major hard rock band or singer looking for a guitarist. Not sure about any original stuff though... the lack of popular songs probably keeps him off the radar of a lot of people as well as the "too cool for hard rock guitar" crowd.
Yeah. He was really incredible with DIO. Nailed the Vivian and Iommi stuff perfectly. As far as original music, I really like his Electrovisions CD.

John 14:6

What do you think of this guitar player?
He brings nothing new into the world of electric guitar and is a little bit too derivative
Hdoes not have a sound immediately recognizable but I like him
He plays Les Paul with accuracy and speed (i would not say He's a Shred)
Any good albums?
I wanna listen GB Les Paul with a little modernity and not only pentathonic scales ala Slash
I think he is one of the best players on the planet. I remember George Lynch being asked at a clinic about his current favorite players. First guy he mentioned was Doug Aldrich. Lynch said that Aldrich had it all down including the styles of Van Halen, Uli Jon Roth, Yngwie and Hendrix but with his own style. Lynch said he wanted to be Doug Aldrich when he grew up.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
What do you think of this guitar player?
He brings nothing new into the world of electric guitar and is a little bit too derivative
Hdoes not have a sound immediately recognizable but I like him
He plays Les Paul with accuracy and speed (i would not say He's a Shred)
Any good albums?
I wanna listen GB Les Paul with a little modernity and not only pentathonic scales ala Slash

It's interesting that you're just posting about Doug as if he's new...or maybe just new to you?

He's been doing his thing since the '80s and is a very good and well-respected player. I first heard of him nearly 20 years ago when he got the Dio gig and he, I thought, was a really good fit for that band. It's then that I realized that he was the guy in the band Lion back in the '80s.
By all accounts, he's done well in the world of rock/metal and he's definitely worth checking out. I'm partial to the Dio stuff since I was a big fan of Ronnie's music.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom