• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Down and Dirty Johnny Winter

cottonmike

A friend had the opportunity to ‘meet’ him back in the ‘70s.

He was invited ‘backstage’, which was essentially a gym locker room.
He saw JW curled up in the fetal position, laying on one of the narrow benches.
While he was excited to meet him, he didn’t want to disturb him, so he just watched him lay there for about 20 minutes.
Someone walked up to JW, tapped him on the arm and said “It’s time.”
He led JW to the stage, where my friend said he played one of the most amazing sets he has ever seen.
When it was over, JW was led ‘backstage’ again, where he promptly curled back up on the bench.

Everyone was asked to leave after a while, so my friend never had a chance to say anything to, or meet JW.
Not understanding completely.

Was he: properly dosed, under dosed, over dosed, or just not dosed at all?

Those benches are no place to lay your face, even if the janitorial services had just passed through.

As a grateful recovering opiate addict, something about his addressing this state of recline, seems incomplete.

I've been so high that I could've slept 9 hours in a book shelf. That's the only thing that I can make meet logic.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the heads up, OP. I didn’t know about this movie at all.

I heard The Progressive Blues Experiment for the first time around 10 years ago and just went crazy over it. Still one of my favourite blues rock albums. Love the live sound and feel, his tone, the band's sound, the songs, and just the whole overall vibe. It was a big influence on the band I put together at the time and in which I still play.

Also love Still Alive And Well.

Looking forward to seeing this!

ned7flat5

I’ve a copy of the promotional interview LP that was sent out to radio stations to promote the Together live LP he made with Edgar. It had the same cover as the album.

Anyway, they were recalling the impact The Beatles had at the time of their Sullivan Show appearance. The next day, Johnny and Edgar (and the band) were walking through an airport in the US when they were besieged by dozens of “fans” demanding their autographs welcoming them to America and telling how much they liked seeing ‘em on TV last night. The brothers went along with it, thanking people and signing stuff, all the while thinking “WTF is this all about”.

On reflection, they reasoned that because The Beatles were so strange looking at the time, people were so confused that many apparently overlooked the glaring physical dissimilarities reaching a conclusion that since these guys are musicians and look weird - ergo, they must be The Beatles.

Thanks for the heads up about the documentary.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Not understanding completely.

Was he: properly dosed, under dosed, over dosed, or just not dosed at all?

Those benches are no place to lay your face, even if the janitorial services had just passed through.

As a grateful recovering opiate addict, something about his addressing this state of recline, seems incomplete.

I've been so high that I could've slept 9 hours in a book shelf. That's the only thing that I can make meet logic.

My friend surmised that JW was under the influence. This was during the period of time when it was widely understood that JW had a significant substance abuse issue.
The irony was how well he was able to play once awoken, yet nearly comotose before and after performing. My friend did not see him take anything.

blackie59

Quite a depressing film. I'd seen him quite a few times in the 70's and 80's and he never disappointed on stage. I was amazed how how fast he became a shell of his old self in the 90's and up to his death. The film just confirmed what I'd already knew about him. Terrible decision making on his part should be a lesson to anyone prone to addiction.

loudguitars56

Johnny Winter was great guitarist- performer. Got to see him live when it was JOHNNY Winter And with Rick Derringer great ,great show! Their live album was one of my favorites. Then all the work with Muddy Waters- Incredible! He was always inspiring to me. Rock or Blues!

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
Worth reviving...watched it last night. I was struck by how hard his "entourage" laughed at everything he said and did...seemed like they were trying way too hard. Didn't like seeing him slamming the Stoli either...just seemed wrong.

The film left me sad as well, but at least he appeared to be happy near the end. Lots of good lessons for sure.

"Still Alive and Well" was my first exposure to Johnny's music and it blew me away as a 16 year old kid...still does. RIP to a legend and a guy who has my respect for believing in himself and making it happen. :)

fierce_carrot

We opened for him in 2001 and he was in the depths of his addictions. Nothing more than a drugged out zombie who weighed about 100lbs, could barely walk and stayed seated almost the entire time. He was my, and the other guitarists in the band, biggest influence and this was a real shock to both of us. I honestly thought he would be dead soon, he looked that bad. Later on we learned how he dumped his POS manager and came clean. Glad to know he was clean, sober, and recognizing how much his fans adored and supported him.

Reactions: RGB

Trending Topics

Top Bottom