Down sizing agony

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiPa, Sep 17, 2019.

1. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

what’s the secret?
    I been working on reducing my instruments (Amps, guitars, cabs, pedals) one at a time, but it’s agony, how does one choose which one goes?
    So far I have looked at if I have a double, I may pick one of those, or a piece I have not played in a very long time, trying different criteria and none seem to be popular or stick. I have managed to move a few but it gets harder as I dig deeper.
    I do have to downsize size as I have run out of space. So this is pure agony.

2. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

have your wife decide and do it.:p

RAG7890, Ian, awp and 25 others like this.
  3. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Best response this year, loved it.

4. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

If I haven't played it in a year, it's gone.

5. plumberstrummer

plumberstrummer Fatal3Records.com Supporting Member

I feel you; each piece of gear has merits and negatives, and I can always find something i love about the gear I own, or at least occasional use for it... Last time I sold it was a double, and the one before that was an amp I never really had a connection to and was just a backup cheap amp "for jams" (which I always ended up bringing my main amps to anyway). I can't imagine what you must be up against; each piece of gear i hear about you owning is a lover. I'd be happy with half of your collection but I could never part with any of it because they're all potential keepers!

Anyway, just saying that I can imagine...

DiPa likes this.
  6. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

It’s just stuff. This forum and all the great info here drove up my amp and guitar counts beyond what a non-giggling hobbyist should have. I recently came to this unpleasant realization and significantly reduced everything. Kept two heads, two cabs, and bought an AxeFX III with the proceeds and banked the rest. I’m playing more because any tone is a click away. I spent more time chasing the next amp instead of playing what I had, and what I had was way impractical for my use case, so it was a vicious cycle I’m glad I’m trying to break. If you aren’t using it regularly move it along.

Ian, jrjones, asilker and 12 others like this.
  7. muzishun

muzishun Member

What kind of numbers we talking about here?:crazy

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Put a number on each - throw the numbers into a hat - and pull one out every 4 days and sell it.

DiPa and VooDooClown like this.
  9. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

For me, it's getting to be pecking order- based on neck size.
    Only the FAT survive.

Man, I once loved my 1991 and 92 Les Paul Classics, but will I ever play them again...?
    Alas, poor classics, I knew thee well.

10. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I’d start with anything that is easily attainable, as well as something you don’t use often.

This is not gonna be a fun exercise Dipa....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    wreckmark, misterg71, Pelagic and 4 others like this.
  11. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Simple you just need the following anything else can go.

1) Guitars: an LP, Strat, Tele, Shred guitar w/Floyd Rose, Semi Hollow, SG and something with P90’s and of course a couple acoustics one for downstairs and one for upstairs...and then a beater acoustic to take camping
    2) Amps: Fender BF, Fender Tweed, Marshall Plexi, JTM 45, 800, Vox, Mesa Mark V and a Fryette PS-2
    3) Pedals: Tuner, 3-4 Od’s (klon, ts, zendrive (for dem rumble tones), couple boosts, delay that requires a manual to understand, compressor, Reverb pedal, fuzz, chorus, wah,
    4) Digital: Axe Fx or Helix for silent practice with headphones

12. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Hold off on the corvette and build an addition

13. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

I can offer you free storage at my house.

14. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

dammit, came here to say that. missed it by >< that much

15. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

what's this down sizing beeswax, anyway? I'm still contemplating a 4x12 but I don't have a head at the moment otherwise I would have pulled the trigger already. I am considering a 2x12 and head though.

16. halcyon

halcyon Member

Yeah, this is my rule as well. It’s worked very well for me. I don’t feel overwhelmed at all.

sixesandsevens and theRagman like this.
  17. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

I'm usually never that quick. On a more serious note I've sold a bunch of stuff I wasn't using over the last year and I honestly don't miss any of it. I'm trying to get down to things I either use, or have major sentimental attachment.

18. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

If it's something you haven't played in at least a year and it's easily replaceable, move it along. If you play it often or it's not easy to replace without taking a huge financial hit, keep it. I have a couple of guitars that I haven't played in a long time, like 2+ years, but one is impossible to replace and the other would be very hard to replace and it would cost me double what I bought it for, if I could even find one just like it, so the day I downsize, those will definitely stay.

Same goes for amps and cabs.

And I hardly ever sell pedals. About 15 years ago I got rid of some pedals, one that I had bought for like 5 bucks. That pedal now sells for over $200 used and it's no longer made so can't get a new one. I kick myself all the time. It was a very cool pedal.

theRagman and sixesandsevens like this.
  19. mikey

mikey Member

I'm having the same dilemma. ...for the past 5 years. Lol! I have moved a couple things but the logistics of the actual sale has become a PITA. The sale/trade is probably a bigger hassle to me than any attachment I have for some of this stuff.

20. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

:agree

This guy knows. :aok

Matteo11 likes this.