Down to 3: Savage, Reinhardt, or Dr Z

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by relix63, Apr 21, 2008.

1. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a new amp and have narrowed it down to 3 very different options. In the perfect world, I'd get all three but that's not very realistic right now. Here's what I'm looking at.

Savage Macht 6 - lower powered than the other 2 but the trem is intoxicating on it. Sweet 6v6 break up at a manageable volume level. Not quiet but it won't blow you away. I would probably want to add an extension cab if I go this route. Jeff Krumm at Savage seems like the kind of guy I'd like to do business with.

Dr Z RXJr - Completely different feel than the Savage. Very percussive and quite loud. The MV seems to work well so it could do lower volume if need be. The EF86 front end must be what I like about this. I think this would be a great country/blues/rock amp.

Reinhardt MI-6 - I'll confess that I haven't played this one but I did audition The 18 Watt. Once again, the MV works well and the amp looked incredible. My preference leans toward 6v6's so that's why I would go for the MI-6. I've watched the Ampfest clip about a hundred times(really) and I thought it was the best I heard. Only issue is that I can't play one first. If a used one came up, I'd buy it on Bob Reinhardt's reputation alone. New, it's tough to pull the trigger.

If I hold out for used, I can probably get the Savage and one of the others. I want a gig worthy amp that can sound decent at lower levels. I play classic rock/blues with a bass player and a drummer. Stage volume is never and issue. Any ideas? Other suggestions are cool too. Thanks.

2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have a Macht 12x and I really like it! It's very midrangy, thick and punchy. I use it to play classic rock and it really captures that sound well. It also has good headroom for such a small amp. I also just recorded with it and the engineer was impressed with it as well.

3. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

If you don't know Rheinhardt makes amps with power scaling which would be a natural bonus if you wanted to play at lower volumes.

4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

The MI6 is a sick amp! But if you want headroom this ain't gonna be your amp.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'd lean towards the Reinhardt 18 or 30 in a band situation

6. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Savage will take care of you like no other company. Jeff is wonderful.

7. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

What style of music are you playing? If it's country, the Dr. Z RxES (jr's daddy) is all over Brad Paisley's "Time Well Wasted" CD..... Great tones there.....Also a GREAT blues and classic rock amp.

8. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I have the MI-6 and play classic rock/blues and originals with my band, and it does a fantastic job. So far I haven't had any headroom issues. It's the best amp I've owned in 25+ years of playing. Bob is usually very good at getting back with people email wise. I'd shoot him an email again with your questions. Super nice guy.

9. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

That's quite an endorsement. I need to find a dealer that has one of these in stock. Btw, Bob did get back to me.

10. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

These amps arevery different beasts. So much so that it is hard to answer the question. I would advise that you strongly consider what exactly you need for your giging situation. I think the Macht 6 might not be the right choice. Too small and not very versatile. But Jeff IS great to work with.

11. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

Bob is simply a fantastic guy to deal with and I heartily recommend him. If the MI-6 isn't the amp for you, there's a damn good chance Bob's got an amp that is the right one for you....

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Sorry, I won't be much help...they're ALL great. Tough choice. As for the Dr.Z, I'd look into the new Mazerati GT. I think you might need an attenuator with it though. Outstanding tone, I've heard. If money's not too much of a problem check out the new Louis Electric Tremblelux. One of the two best sounding amps I've ever heard in 47 years of playing. The other? A Louis Electric KR-10/12. Both are in the $2500-$3000. range though so they're not cheap. The transformers are hand built as are some of their speakers. Just depends on what type of tone you're looking for and how much you want to spend.

Tom

13. Figher53

Figher53 Member

There's a reason why MI-6's don't show up used too often...

14. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Because they're all new? :crazy;)

Tom

15. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I've heard that Dr Z's tend to be a bit more metallic in their tone then the others. Just rumors I've heard

16. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I happen to have a MI-6 on order myself! Should be a few more weeks.......

~Joe

17. Crikey

Crikey Member

I've heard five different models and haven't heard anything metallic about any of them. I have heard certain models of speaker that gave a slight metallic clang to any amp played through them, but nothing about the Dr. Zs makes me think "metallic".

The only thing I can think of is that even when cranked, they have a clarity to the tone that I find fantastic, lacking the buzz that goes with cranking most Marshall-flavored amps (except the Mini-Z, which does indeed do a nice impersonation of a 5W, 1x8 Marshall). Could other ears encounter this as "metallic" rather than "clarity"? I have trouble imagining it, but tone is subjective.

Crikey

18. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

19. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I still lust for a Savage....go for it.:RoCkIn

20. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've owned 4 Z's (2 currently), and IMO none of them have a "metallic" sound...... As a matter of fact, they are the fullest sounding, most ear pleasing amps I've ever owned.

Just figured I'd drop that in.