Downloading all my CDs to iPod

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Loud Librarian, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

iPod classic...120Gb. I'm finally getting around to putting all my CDs on it - 6000 songs loaded already and many more to rip, I may end up with double this amount or more.

Upsides:

I'll be revisiting a lot of music that normally "sat" on the shelf. Now it's right there with all the other songs.

I can take all my stuff anywhere.

Shuffle is going to be insane!

Downsides:

I'll kind of miss all the artwork, booklets, etc. - the stuff you look through and read when checking out the CD. Now it's only about the music itself I guess.

I still feel the need to store all the CDs in boxes as a backup in case my TB hard drive and/or iPod bites the dust.

I'm 46...went from albums and tapes to CDs to this! :crazy

2. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

So what bitrate have you settled on as a compromise of space vs. quality? How long does it take to rip each disc?

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Supporting Member

I'm 46 too - I know what you mean, only I've had an iPod for a long time. :)

I went from an iPod that would hold everything, to the realization that I still only listened to 10% of it regularly. The iPhone is my main ipod now.

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

You can still go to "advanced" and "get album artwork" in the iTunes.

It's better than nothing.

5. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

I have it on the 256 "normal" setting for now - I'll see how much space I have and redo some things if needed. It takes only a few minutes to rip a CD.

6. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

Cool, I shall try this!

7. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

Ya, I'm definitely a late adopter on this, although I just got my son an iPod touch, he really likes it so far.

I may end up paring all these songs down, but for now it's cool to go for total quantity!

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Just out of curiosity, what was your first CD you ripped into the iTunes?

Mine was Zepplin's Physical Graffiti.

9. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

I think it was Blur's Leisure, although I had a couple thousand songs loaded on via XNews. I have tons of Zep on there now.

10. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

When you finish loading itunes.....back it all up on an external hard drive and keep backing up as you add new music. This may not seem important today...it will later.

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I recently took half the music off my iPod and kept just what I listen to. It made it too hard to navigate.

Oh, and first CDs? The entire U2 catalog. I'm an unabashed fan-boy!

12. bdegrande

bdegrande Member

My iPod Touch wouldn't hold all of my music, so I bought an Archos 5 at one of those Black Friday deals. 250GB (the newer model goes up to 500GB but is much more expensive) should hold all of my music and lots of video as well.

13. alpep

alpep Member

you will also miss the sound quality of the cds

14. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

I went the ipod route years ago, now ive gone back to vinyl (if I can). I want the experience rather than the accessibility.

15. glockaxis

glockaxis Supporting Member

Never had an ipod. I still buy cds. The only places I listen to music are at home and in the car so there is no real use for it. At home I have access to my whole collection and in the car I have a cd changer with two cartridges that I frequently change out.

16. stratology

stratology Member

The difference between 256 AAC and uncompressed audio is not that big - rip the same song in both formats and compare for yourself...

You can improve the audio quality of the iPod significantly by using better earphones.

And you can rip the most important stuff (like your own recordings) as lossless audio.

17. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

I am in the process of ripping all of my music to an external drive for backup and easy transportation. I actually own about 2000 CD's so it has taken a while . I am using the Apple Lossless format and I will hit or go over the 1TB mark when I finish. Actually, I am backing up my backup too, so I have 2 externals backing up my CD's. It has been pretty cool to revisit some stuff and also discover stuff I forgot I had. I have also gotten rid of a lot of stuff that I didn't realize had sucked so much!

18. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I travel quite a bit for business, and having the iPod along on my trips is ideal. And not just on the planes, but when I'm alone in the hotel rooms too. Nothing like plugging in those earplugs and tuning out the rest of the world!

I have an 80G Classic, and I have over 1000 albums on it with plenty of room remaining. I have a few music videos and games on it too, plus my favorite photos. It's a portable personal entertainment system.

19. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I just broke 3000 songs on my itunes when I loaded some of my Christmas presents (ABB 40th Anniversary Shows w/ EC). I have been trying to load my CD library but I'm up to C. I bought a 1tb external drive just for this, but it takes so long to load stuff, I just don't have the patience to sit there forever. A lot of what I have on there is bootlegs and other stuff that I have acquired throught the years. Of course, after I finish my CD's, I still have a huge pile of LP's and cassettes.

20. kovachian

kovachian Member

You should use variable bit rate, it's far better than a fixed rate. I ripped my CDs at 160/320 and that might be a tiny bit overkill, but due to my neurotic audiophile tendencies it was either VBR or straight 320kb memory hogs.