Downside to Powerbook vs G5?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brusco, May 2, 2005.

1. Brusco

Brusco Member

I'm trying to weigh the disadvantages or limits I would have with a laptop. At first I was considering an Imac G5 (17") for my home studio. Seems like a good choice considering you get a nice display with it. Now I'm thinking I'd use a laptop (Powerbook15) more if I had one. I was considering using the Digi002. with it..would that work?

Maybe I should buy a cheap ibook so I could do work away from the studio..and have a nice G5 at home. I would have to wait a couple months before spending the money on an ibook though.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's a nice solution. The truth for me is that I'm usually only doing minor stuff when I'm mobile, so I don't need a big robust workhorse of a mobile computer. But when I'm at home I'm usually doing the most resource intensive tasks. Not to mention the fact that powerful notebooks are a lot bigger and heavier than their sleeker counterparts.

3. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

My advice is always the same when it comes to computers, and applies to guitar gear as well: get the best thing you can afford. If you determine you need the portability, get a Powerbook with the fastest processor and most memory. Tiger, after a few days with it, is great but a huge memory hog.

If the portability is not an issue, go with the G5.

4. OneMileWish

OneMileWish Guest

Yup, that would work! That's exactly how I recorded most of my band's last album. Just make sure you have enough RAM in it and you'd be ok.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

You should hear the awesome electronic stuff and rock my son is doing with his iBook, an M Audio interface, and a single mic in his friggin DORM room.

6. Brusco

Brusco Member

Which recording software is your son using?
    The guy at the Mac store is recommending Digi002 which comes with ProToolsLE.

Maybe I could start with a simple M-Audio interface and GarageBand or Cakewalk or something.

I will eventually want to record an acoustic drumset with a few mics.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I would amend this slightly because computers and musical intruments are different animals...

Get the second most-loaded available Mac at any given time, not the top model. The top of the line is usually priced disproportionately higher for the amount of benefits. If you compared them A/B I'd be surprised if you could find any perceptible difference in performance that would justify the expense. Besides, six months later it's the second from the top anyway. But if you really think you'll be getting that much more, by all means: spend the money. They'll be glad to take it.

Basically what you're doing with my method is saving yourself a sh*tload of cash and putting yourself where the "top of the line" was six months ago, which is more than good enough. My philosophy is that you cant stay on top for more than a few months at most, so why play that game? Most users have an older computer anyway, so you're still ahead of the pack. The software will take several years to catch up to the point where you absolutely must have the next level of hardware capacity.

I also receommend maxing out the memory slots immediately. Get the most it will hold. High quality memory is cheap as hell these days, like heroin in the 70s.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It would work beautifully.

The downside is that if you want to do editing or mixing outside your studio, you'd have to lug it around with you to launch the software. Unless you also bought M-Box, which is smaller. There's a new version of ProTools that uses M-Audio interfaces which might be a better option.

I think Logic doesn't require hardware to launch. As long as you're starting from scratch, that might be better for you.

iBook might work fine if your sessions only have a few tracks and minimal plug-ins. A Powerbook will have more capacity.

Talk to someone at Sweetwater... they can steer you right.

9. muddy

muddy Member

the new g5 imacs, for all intensive purposes, ARE powerbooks; in relative size, that is. you just need ac. but take that stand off, & you basically have a laptop, minus the keyboard & mouse. maybe you should look into a portable ac source, if it exists. just a thought...

ml

10. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I understand that the new Logic imports GarageBand files with no problem. So you can start an idea in GB, just fooling around, and when you're ready to go to the next level, you can stick it in Logic. That ability might be worth choosing it over ProTools.

11. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

Also, RAM is more important than processor speed. If you're
    choosing between adding more RAM and getting the "next
    fastest" processor, choose the RAM.

--Tom

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

Whichever solution you go for, budget for an external Firewire drive to record on to.
    The stock drive in the ibook is too slow for anything over a couple of tracks, and mi 14"G4 ibook would record clicks and pops onto my audio, even if I just recorded one track.

I had a 7200 rpm drive put in there and it rocks now but that thing eats batteries for breakfast.

13. Brusco

Brusco Member

Which Interface comes with Logic? I would like to use something with Firewire.

14. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Brusco....you can use any audio interface with Logic Pro. It's not like ProTools where you have to use the Digidesign hardware to operate the software. I have a powerbook 15" that I just got 3 months ago. I haven't recorded on it yet though as I don't have the $ to spend on ANYTHING! ARGH! When I do, I'm either going to use Logic Pro or Digital Performer. I am looking to do solo projects where I'd record guitars & voice, use midi keyboard for bass and synth sounds, and program drums somehow (Logic, BFD, DrumKit From Hell, Reason...one of those).

Mag

15. Brusco

Brusco Member

Thanks Magnum, I can understand why you don't have the money after springing for the Powerbook.

16. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Yeah, I'm really anxious to get into the recording....and I think I'm going to get a Presonus Firebox (firewire) audio interface to start off with. I'd like to pick up an inexpensive large diaphragm condenser mic like the Studio Projects C1 to use for vocals, guitar cab miking, and acoustic guitar. Then, add a midi keyboard........but that's where I'd really want Logic....to control the synths that come with Logic.....

Let me know what you decide on and what you end up with. I'd like to know how it works out for you.

Mag