Downsize from an already small setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AshyLarry, Aug 8, 2008.

1. AshyLarry

AshyLarry Member

Hey, I have a Mesa F30 combo w/tone tubby. I love the amp and have no issues with it as far as tone etc. But, I'm moving to another apartment soon and I have a feeling the neighbors there won't be as tolerant. It kills me having to play it as low as I do already. I was thinking about maybe downsizing to a Orange Tiny Terror or similiar with a 10 or 12" cab. I'm looking for recomendations or suggestions, I need something low wattage that will sound good at bedroom levels. I don't want to break the bank either, with the move, the rent is going up too! Or if I shouldn't bother let me know. I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Thanks
    -Bob

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Why not just buy a power attenuator and keep your boogie?

3. nomadh

nomadh Member

yes or a EP Valve jr or crate v5, v8 ,v508. I found an old kalamazoo 8 watt. Fun great sounding dorky thing

4. Derelict

Derelict Member

keep it and get a modeler with headphones. 5w is way too much cranked.

5. stump

stump Member

Maybe a Love Pedal 1/2 watt, Zvex Nano, Bumbox Lead 1 or another 1 watt or less amp. There are a bunch of choices. You could use the speaker in your Mesa. The modeler with headphones, through a stereo or powered monitors works well too.

6. AshyLarry

AshyLarry Member

Never thought about a powerbrake / hot plate. I'm going to do a little research into those as it seems like a cheap solution. The Zvex Nano looks pretty sweet too though.

7. stump

stump Member

I just got a Bumbox Lead 1 yesterday and can't stop playing it. It sounds like a JCM 800 and is real manageable volume wise. I also have the Love Pedal 1/2 watt classic. Even though it's not tube and runs on 2 9 volt batteries, it's pretty cool for tweed type tones. The Bumbox is the better of the two for me. I have played the Nano and it's real cool too, very Marshally. I use a THD Hotplate with my bigger amps and it works nicely down to about -12dB, any lower than that I prefer a very low wattage amp, hence the Bumbox and Love Pedal.