Downsizing - advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MontyW, Feb 29, 2012.

1. MontyW

MontyW Member

I'm moving to a smaler house and this means I need to downsize my amps and cabs. I'm also no longer playing out a 'larger' gigs and the amps I have are just too much for my needs.

Just to give you an idea of what amps I have: Fender Tweed Champ, 59 Bassman RI, JTM 45 RI, Engl PowerBall II and a 5150.

I've been thinking about 'lunchbox' amps as a solution and I think I will probably need more than one to cover the range of tones I'm looking for. I've also tried the Axe Fx II and really just did not get on with this kit, either through FRFR or via a power amp and cab. I guess I'm a plug and play sort of guy.

So I'm looking for amp suggestions that play well at low dBs at home and can be taken to smaller venues.

I need an amp or amps that:

a) will take me from sparkling cleans to some nice 'plexi' type crunch and;
    b) an amp that will get right into the tight high gain metal

My thoughts so far... Baby Budda for the clean to crunch and the mini Rectifier or Baron Snott Watt for high gain.

Any thoughts or alternatives I should look into.

2. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Hmm...I guess this is probably not what you are looking for but what about the L6 DT25 series amps?

Great cleans to high gain in a fairly cost effective, flexible package. I guess if you didn't gel with the Axe, this might not be what you are looking for, but they are certainly worth an audition. Great for anything from practice to small/mid size gigs (as they also have a great DI).

3. MontyW

MontyW Member

Axe-man thanks for the post. I'm not excluding anything yet - oh apart from the Axe Fx.

An old buddy of mine suggested geting a Diezel Herbert @180 Watts and be done with amp swapping and even said it can do late night low dB volumes :)

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have played Diezel amps since 2000, and have had a VH4, Herbert, Einstein, and Schmidt.

I would suggest either a Schmidt (30 watts RMS, Class A, no need to bias, takes most regular power tubes, 2 & 1/2 channels, all the loops and options come with it), or a 50 watt Einstein head or combo.

The Herbert, while a tremendous, amp will be way overkill. However, if you do look into these higher powered Diezels, consider a Hagen at 100+ watts and use Yellow Jacket EL-84 tube converters to lower the wattage down to 36 watts using four YJ's. No re-biasing is needed with YJ's.

I have used those and Smicz Tads, which are one watt power tubes with converters to get a VH4 down to 4 watts. While this sounds really low in performance wattage, I was actually surprised at how loud it got. I used a Diezel 2x12 with a pair of G12-H 30s in a closed back cab and mic'd it. It sounded glorious.

Any amp can use the YJ's with varying degrees of success, which will depend on the individual user and what they hear as a result.

These YJ's can also be mixed with regular power tubes to reduce the volume in varying wattage amounts. I have had great success using lower power output tubes to tame higher powered amps, and I like this method more then using an attenuator.

If you are flexible, audition a Vox VT80+. It has a power reduction dial, many different tones, and a completely built in list of effects. I use one in small venues where stage space is at a premium.

There are a lot of optons open but your pocketbook will dictate your ability to choose among them.

Happy hunting. :)
    Stephen

5. MontyW

MontyW Member

Hey C-4... I know the Herbert is massively overkill ! It was a suggestion from a buddy of mine that thinks nothing of playing his Diezels cranked BUT he lives out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the advice on YJs - something that never crossed my mind. Using them opens up more options - thanks! Do you have any info on the Smicz TADs as nothing coming up via Google?