downsizing?

jaz761

Supporting Member
I'm trying to figure out about downsizing my current home listening setup because we are moving to a smaller house...and I barely get to listen at any volume at this point anyway between my wife working from home, the baby, the high school kid, my mother in law...etc.

I've got a Marantz 1070 in the lovely wooden cab, some sort of Denon CD player, a Technics QD35 TT, a Sonos Connect, and a pair of vintage ARs...the first version. My turntable is on its last legs. Other than that and the Sonos, I salvaged all of the other components from a pile in the basement of a foreclosed house. I cleaned everything up, did some very minor repairs, and the ARs especially, sound fantastic.

I figure I could sell everything, maybe get some smaller speakers, a new TT, smaller speakers, and some sort of digital amp or similar? I love the way it all looks but there's just not physically room for it in my life at this time.

I have a few Sonos Plays scattered around and they aren't half bad. I know you need big speakers to push the air...but any suggestions?

Rex Anderson

If you can't listen at higher volume levels, there is no point of larger speakers to "push the air". Tahitijack's recommendation to get a sub makes sense to get some low frequency extension and level so the system sounds more balanced. Of course bass carries through the house more and may annoy all the people you are concerned about. A TT setup includes the arm and phono cartridge, what about what you have is "on it's last legs"? Can you fix the problem and avoid buying a new TT package? If you get a new TT system, get one that can digitize your records. I gave up playing records ages ago, the vinyl took up too much storage space. I play CD's I ripped into iTunes and use Pandora for background music. Free streaming is a good way to listen to music if fidelity isn't possible, and at low volume levels on small speakers, you can't hear the difference.

ddog

Silver Supporting Member
We bought a new house and I got in a wayyy smaller room compare to old room at old house....10' by 13'...its the best sounding room I have ever had...great pair of stand mounts can be satisfying...all about setup.

jaz761

Supporting Member
The mechanics of the tonearm and the way it contacts the record can't seem to be adjusted properly. It has a new cartridge and there's apparently no way to balance it. The cue control and auto start/stop died long ago. I bought this turntable in 1986. There are plastic parts that have just dried out and shattered over the years.

I don't want to digitize my vinyl. I can hear the difference when I play my records vs. streamed music or a digital source. I do stream sometimes via the Sonos but also I like to buy records in order to support artists and appreciate the aesthetics of record albums. Sounds like I should just keep the speakers I have since I haven't heard anything I like as much, even at low volumes. I may be searching for a solution to a problem I don't have..other than replacing my turntable.

Tahitijack

In my research for a new turntable I got quite an education. One thing I didn't know about is simply a turntable with its own line level preamp built in. Just connect the TT to two powered bookshelf speakers and you have a complete system, no amp or receiver necessary.

Sigmund Floyd

Supporting Member
You could go with a Bluesound PowerNode 2i and a pair of good bookshelf speakers, like Revels. And use Tidal... there are other co.'s also making good all in one units.

Trending Topics