Doxasound KOT clones on Reverb...?

spanishcastlemagi

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, so I know I may get flamed for this, because when a subject like this comes up, there always seems to be someone who condescendingly chimes in with "why buy a clone when you can just get on the waiting list and buy the real thing?"...or... "Just buy a Prince of Tone instead...its the same circuit"...or "Don't support anyone who isn't the original designer...these clone builders are hurting the original builders"... etc...etc.

I know there's only one true KOT, and in a perfect world, if we could all either afford one, or were willing to wait a year+ (or whatever the wait list currently is) we'd probably prefer to buy the original from Analogman... so would I. I already get all of that and don't even necessarily disagree with most of those sentiments...

I'm just curious to hear from any of you who have purchased one of these Doxasound clones as to how satisfied you were with your purchase? How do they sound and are they a value for the comparitively inexpensive cost?

Anyone have an opportunity to compare to the real thing? If not, anyone tried a KOT clone they would recommend and why...?

I'll don my flame retardant suit and duck behind my asbestos shield now... Maybe someone will weigh in.

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
Thinking way outside the box here, but have you tried asking Analogman the differences. Maybe buy one and send it to Analogman to compare.

TheRealDeal

how is it condescending to the prince of tone is the same thing as the KoT? Mike even has made this clear

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure that Analogman would not be real upset about this. He's making the KOT as fast as he can and he sells every one. And the KOT is a Bluesbreaker modded slightly, so someone slightly modifying the KOT is a perfectly fair ball. Or, to put it differently, a more than slightly modified Bluesbreaker!

mattlee0037

I dislike that he's trying to profit off of someone else's marketing and branding. He doesn't call it a "Doxasound Overdrive" or "modified bluesbreaker" or even "modified king of tone" it's just "King of Tone Clone." I have no problems with hobbyists selling builds but it looks like he trying to start a business off the back of Mike's work and the favorability behind his pedal. And I want a gut shot to see if it's a $10 hobbyist PCB or if he bothered to even create his own layout.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a doxasound clone (of a jhs pedal, actually) and it worked fine. Don't expect the neat, tight build you see in the inside of a real KoT or boutiques builders who have been at it for decades.

Did not dig the pedal though so I sold it for what I paid (under $50). But is $150 a whole different ballpark for a rather no-name (but working on it, bless them) builder, at least as far as my wallet is concerned.

So, not bad necessarily. Just understand where/ the money you are saving is being saved.

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I dislike that he's trying to profit off of someone else's marketing and branding. He doesn't call it a "Doxasound Overdrive" or "modified bluesbreaker" or even "modified king of tone" it's just "King of Tone Clone." I have no problems with hobbyists selling builds but it looks like he trying to start a business off the back of Mike's work and the favorability behind his pedal. And I want a gut shot to see if it's a $10 hobbyist PCB or if he bothered to even create his own layout.
I could be wrong, but for some reason I recall it being a Rullywow PCB- which is a charge pumped KoT clone.

mattlee0037

I could be wrong, but for some reason I recall it being a Rullywow PCB- which is a charge pumped KoT clone.
Definitely a possibility. It just looks really low effort with no labels or graphics on the outside so I don't know if I'd want to see the effort inside.

Edit: dickjonesify pointed out it does not have a charge pump so maybe a lectricfx double take

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'd never seen Rullywow. And I'm not clear, if you build one of his boards can you sell it, commercially, for a profit? Anyway, looks like a great resource!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom