• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

DPDT type of switch is killin me on stage!

valvestate

So... pastor was leading the closing prayer in our Church, I forgot to turn off my Nano Clone and Fulltone FDII, so I 'silently' put my foot on it so it will not disturb the 'moment'...... pressed my foot on these pedals.. then a noticeable "POP" "POP" :bitch:peenut
I just looked as if nothing happened but I know that the people were like, 'What da heck... ?'

How do you gusy get around with these silly noisy pops of switches in silent situations. I'm wondering why most builders don't go with what TC Electronic has or those Lovepedal's noiseless switches? I do have some BOSS and Digitech traditional switches on my board bu
t, I just can't remove these type of pedals since I like their sound.

Jason_77

I have a Boss TU-2 tuner on my board. So, any time I need to do anything silently, I hit that first so it mutes everything.

valvestate

I have a Boss TU-2 tuner on my board. So, any time I need to do anything silently, I hit that first so it mutes everything.
Thanks man , I actually have a Korg Pitchblack but the sound can still be heard on stage... I'm not referring to the house.

2leod

Re-Member
Confused - are you talking about the physical sound of the switch clicking, or something coming through your signal chain?

mcdes

Member of no importance
Lol. I have all mine run through a true bypass looper. And the looper has all cusack soft switches. So no problem for me.

JSteed

I know what you mean. Not a problem when we play loud clubs, but definitely something I have to be wary of when playing for church. For anyone who doesn't go to church and likes to sneer at P&W players (I'll admit the genre is making it easier and easier), just think of it as a corporate gig. You've got to fit the criteria or you're not doing your job, right?

One option is to get a killswitch with a soft switch/Boss or Polytune style tuner to put at the end of your chain, and hit that to turn off the noise. You can then switch those others off at a more appropriate time :p. Could be easier than going the Cusack/Dpc-5/American Loopers route.

I'm wondering why most builders don't go with what TC Electronic has or those Lovepedal's noiseless switches? I do have some BOSS and Digitech traditional switches on my board bu
t, I just can't remove these type of pedals since I like their sound.
Because those "soft-touch" switches will not bypass the pedal by themselves and require some kind of switching circuitry, either JFET like Boss pedals or relay-based, to bypass the pedal. Most builders either do not care or see the need to use anything but the big 3PDTs. FWIW the soft touch switching systems will last longer and are more reliable than the 3PDT switches.

It isn't too hard to design a uC driven relay circuit...

Mancunion

Chances are you have a volume knob on your guitar. Roll that off and wait for when the time is right to do all your switching.

valvestate

You mean the actual sound from the switch? Not a "pop" from your amp?

Ehh... idk. You could always wait.
Yes sir.. The actual sound of the switch when you press the pedal.. That "click" audible sound.. It is not going to the house since it is muted with my amp's volume and pitchblack tuner

:huh i guess il just wait for the right time then

Thanks for everyone's advice especially the looper...

Kluch

it is rock or religion. Tough choices
:facepalm :dude :roll

I feel you OP, I always have my volume pedal down (which is after my drives) so I can do all my changes without audible pops through my signal chain. However I've also switched over to drives with click less switches so I don't get that loud pop during a quiet part.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Yes sir.. The actual sound of the switch when you press the pedal.. That "click" audible sound.. It is not going to the house since it is muted with my amp's volume and pitchblack tuner

:huh i guess il just wait for the right time then

Thanks for everyone's advice especially the looper...
This annoys me at church as well. There is a price to pay for having guitar live. The solutions offered here are good but I am not adding a soft touch bypass looper just to quiet those clicks down during prayers. I try to setmy board for a prayer bbefore I leave the stage after the first set when peoples ears are less apt to notice the clicking with the sound of the rest of the band walking off stage...

Lullabies

Ok I'm a noob but what are all these church bands on TGP ? What exactly do you play at church ? I'm confused!!

I personally dislike those type of switches..I prefer the bigger Boss style swiches. Oddly enough my board is mostly those switches.

Footbutt

it's worse when i'm using my IEMs!
i can't tell how loud i am stomping on my pedals.

i tend to ease into my pressing down, taking time to 'hit' and 'release'.
also, if you wait until he/she is talking loudly or just talking in general, you can sneak a click in.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Probably more like the 3PDT is what's popping. SOme have more capacitance than others.

I'd put a mute in as well. Either volume pedal or the other.
Now if you mean the physical sound of it, not an electronic pop..then that's just nature of the beast. Maybe a bypass switch with soft touch switches..

Footbutt

Ok I'm a noob but what are all these church bands on TGP ? What exactly do you play at church ? I'm confused!!
"church" is a very broad term in this day and age of modern worship music.
but the Houses of Worship we TGPers tend to reference are:
1.) churches that require 'as quiet stage volume as possible' situations, even though they have drums and guitars and such
2.) Full-on rock stuff, including acoustic drums, amps, lights, the works
3.) combo of both
4.) other

as far as style goes, there's many bands/artists that produce P&W music that many churches play for their Sunday Set Lists. "U2-inspired" music is a general term that tends to be accurate.
many times the guitarists are called upon to create ambience or drive a song or play that certain riff.

much of the same gear can be found on TGP P&W boards because of the 'proven it works for ____ song/method' idea.

Geosh

These have worked really well for me:

Jack Deville used to sell them which is where I got these 2. Now Mammoth Electronics carries them and uses a metal switch. I only have a couple pedals that had loud switches that needed them and didn't want to spend the $$$ or give up the board space for a soft-touch bypass-looper.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom