D'Pergo Experience Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Tonefish, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I've been talking to Stefan over at D'Pergo about building a custom guitar. You talk about a quest for perfect tone........this guy is unbelievable !!!!! He builds almost every single component of his guitars to seek the best of the best, and he mods to perfection the few things he doesn't make. He even makes screws when critical ones just aren't good enough and seeks out wood that is hundreds of years old....amazing. In talking with him about building a guitar, this guy seems to know what little nuance to tone every detail of every part makes. He also won't do my special requests if it means building a guitar that won't meet his standards. But I don't mind since I'm there for tone too. His intensity and devotion to the pursuit of ultimate tone is really something to experience.

So do any of you guys and gals out there have them or have heard them??

I saw the posts by Julien Kasper and he certainly seems to know what he's talking about. (He's awesome too!!)

What do the others with D'Pergo experience have to say?

I understand from others out there in guitar-love land that side-by-side comparisons with other guitars is the proof-in-the-pudding. Anyone done that??

Any advice on buying from him?

2. emjee

emjee Member

There was a thread about d'pergo axes a week or two ago. Use the search function and you'll find it. VERY impressive guits!! I like him because he makes all his own parts (With the exception of the tuners) and I am in love with his BRIDGES! I also must say if I was a millionaire I would buy his first, then a Vinetto, then a Chapin, then a DeTemple, then a Tyler, then a Suhr, then a Pensa, then a Callaham, then a Warren, then a fred stuart then a ?. Can you imagine a tone shoot out with all these brands present?
    It would be like going to that big "Indoor Storm" in the sky!!

Matt

3. dverna

dverna Member

he is a class act. professional, passionate, and focused on attention-to-detail. I visited his shop a couple of weeks ago, and it was an educational experience to say the least. If you are seriously considering a D'Pergo, I highly recommend you go visit his shop. His guitars are not inexpensive, but the top level of craftsmanship is readily apparent. I'm sure he'd want you to bring your favorite axe along and A-B against his guitars.

4. pluto

pluto Member

I recently bought a classic. Great guitar-very full and resonant. The neck is HUGE, but is surprisingly very comfortable. For reference sakes, I'm used to playing the Suhr even C slim neck or the Anderson standard or at the most, a cobra neck-relatively small necks. I also like that certified old maple neck-there is a satin finish on it, but it feels naked. I was thinking of changing the pickups, but I decided to stick with what's already there. Overall-I really think Stefan is making an amazing guitar. I'm definitely looking to purchasing another D'Pergo (probably the softtop model) as my next guitar. I won't say he makes a better guitar than Suhr or Anderson because that kind of stuff is so subjective, but I definitely would say he makes a comparable guitar.

5. pluto

pluto Member

Is he not planning to sell his trems separately anymore? I know that his website advertises parts like trems but says "page coming soon" when you click on the photo.

6. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I posted in the previous thread, but to restate, the JK model I played was very impressive in feel. I only played it for a short time, but it had that certain something that I like.:AOK

7. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

I have 2 of his vintage trems on my Grosh guitars and I can honestly say they are the highest quality best sounding trem I have ever played and I have played all of them except the Callaham.

Last time I spoke to him he said he will not be selling any of the parts and pups seperately anymore since all of the parts he makes goes on his production guitars. That is not to say he won't offer them again in the furure...........

8. smv929

smv929 Member

I'm REALLY happy with my classic strat I just got from D'Pergo. I'm an experienced player of 26 years and know how to get a good vintage tone. His guitar is what I wanted it to be - my new favorite/main guitar. It has a woody tone that I thought I had already. It's like you hear on the records, the tone everyone loves. It has the aged wood in the neck and some pickups he designed to be vintage clean and allow the wood to shine through in the tone (he has Jason Lollar wind them). It really does sound woody as he explained it would. You can tell especially when you do riffs on the bass strings. They sound fat and singing. My previous favorite strat (which I thought couldn't be beat) sounds flatter and buzzier on bass string riffs compared to on the D'Pergo.

Anyway, I originally contacted D'Pergo to buy one of his quality steel bridges to put on a strat which I thought was the ultimate strat for me. But when I found out about the features on his guitars, I was intrigued and ordered one, because he offers all the details I always seek in a guitar, but you cant find in one with ordering a new neck, pickups and bridge, replacing frets, etc.

The features I like are: the old wood, light weight body, quality steel hardware which they tool, an improved bridge design that helps tone and reduces string breakage, quality saddles, attention to detail on a soft V neck (offset) profile, the fact that his bridge is 2 1/8" which matches better the 1 5/8" width necks. (Why this is not offered more on guitars kills me. Even Callahm doesn't offer this width; he only offers the wider vintage width on his bridges.) The D'Pergo headstock angle or string posts are different in design as well. In addition, his recessed neck plate makes playing above the 12th fret so much more comfortable on your left hand. Once you feel it, you will love it. I forgot to mention that the finishes are really cool, plus he offers some nice custom made pickup guards.

He patiently worked with me to understand the details I wanted. By the way, I wanted a special soft V profile that was shallower than his normal but awesome profile. He nailed it for me. The end result is they listened and I now have a D'Pergo guitar that plays great, sounds nice and woody like he described and is light and a pleasure to hold all night at a gig. The fretwork also was great. Bending strings is so smoothe and the edges of the neck/frets are nicely rounded off, giving a smooth feel.

ANyway, it's replaced my favorite strat which has been my favorite for 17 years. I had doubts that the D'Pergo would be so good, because I have ordered custom guitars before, bought new nice guitars, and spent money on mods on guitars. However, before walking out the door to a gig, I would always grab my former favorite strat instead. Not anymore. Actually I take it now as a backup.

Hope this helps.

9. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Have to admit that I've never heard of the guy, but it sounds very positive. Any pics of his work?

10. dverna

dverna Member

11. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Wow that's great !! Thanks for the information.

12. emjee

emjee Member

I want one so bad I can taste it! Vintage Guitar magazine just did a review on The Julien Kasper Band's newest album (Julien Kasper has a signature D'Pergo), "The New Imperial", and the review was just a huge thumbs up by the guys at Vintage Guitar mag. Now remember, these guys listen to and review prolly hundreds of albums a year, so for them to say JK's album is "proof positive that he is one of the greatest guitar instrumentalists around today. He (JK) has great chops and unquestionable tone. In fact, the guitars are damn near perfect. This album is a surefire front runner for this years instrumental list" it carries some weight, at least for me.
    I read about them here at TGP a few months ago, and as soon as I went to his website I knew there was somethin' special about these axes.
    I'll just bet they could hang with DeTemple or Lentz no problem, though that is only a guess as I have never had the pleasure. Think I'm gonna sell my Anderson and a couple other guitars, because I really want one of these.

Matthew
    San Rafael, CA

13. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Well I just looked it up and it's 2247.7 miles from my house to his shop...darn. Why can't we have a boutique guitar and amp show for consumers??

14. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Does anyone have pics of their D'Pergo (other than links to their website)?

I am not necessarily interested in the ones that are modern looking (although I'd like to see 'em) but rather the ones that are getting to more traditional old strat type core.

15. blues revenge

blues revenge Silver Supporting Member

So.. if you are too far to go to his shop, but you want to see what the buzz is all about, be sure to catch him at Winter NAMM in L.A.
    He will be featuring some of his best works ever including a new Tele syle guitar... I can't wait to go there myself to see them!

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member