D'Pergo is pushing the limits!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Mowcheeba, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Not entirely accurate, some of the "richest" people I know are the cheapest people I know...

expense is relative to one's thriftiness... yes, that sounds better.

2. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Youare forgetting... this is an internet thread. The "words" are subject to interrpretation based on emotional rationality, not to actual intent or content.

3. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member

I think , its kinda high , and can see about tire kickers, The money shows your serious. I think a quick talk should be free .
    But lets be honest , this is a big purchase in the thousands. I agree one should be serious and ready to order if they are going to really drill a builder with 1000 questions . But if you are really gonna buy a high end guitar for 3000 bucks , you should make sure your gonna get what you want. He is trying to sell you a guitar dont forget.
    In real life if you spend a few grand on something you look it over , try it perhaps , touch it , etc. You order a guitar that you wont see for at least a year or way more, never played it or even seen it.
    Theres a lot of trust going in on a buyers end too.
    So it is a two way street .

I have never ordered a guitar but I would not waste hours with a guy if I could not buy one. A few question in a email yes .
    Like I said somebody should be able to make a call or a email and get 10 minutes to see if they want to drop the $300 before the drop $3000 or more and wait two years , just my opinion.
    But I am sure he has his reasons.

4. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Problem with this is getting an actual useable reply. Most folks will rave about a product just because they spent a gang of cash on it, it's their's so it's the best, and a few other psychological standards which go along with defending a purchase or justifying a decision.

5. Herf

Herf Member

My guess is you can call and talk to him about his guitars and philosophy and whatever and there is no charge. But when you tell him you've decided to get a guitar, he wants to spec it out and get a $300 deposit.

Big deal. Don't order from him if you object to a deposit.

IMHO: If you're ordering a D'Pergo, $300 shouldn't even get your attention. Otherwise you can't afford one. :)

6. Mowcheeba

Mowcheeba Member

I am sorry, but what did Tafkar do wrong in this thread? I must have missed something.

7. celvira

celvira Member

Kindness and customer support open doors. They are added values.

Will D'Pergo pay if the guitar is not made in time or if there is a mistake? That waste my time and maybe my time is more expensive.

8. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Silver Supporting Member

At the risk of sounding like I'm speaking for the mods, I think his "time out" was the culmination of many months of jumping into the middle of every D'Pergo thread and trying to piss in everyone's cornflakes....metaphorically speaking of course.:)

9. CDaughtry

Stefan is one of the kindest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. His customer service, when you are actually a customer, is second to none. In fact, he bends over backwards to please.

10. celvira

celvira Member

I'm sure of that but $300 is not an added value. It's a service paid.

And he is human so he can do a fault. What about my time?

Charles, what I mean it's a two-way road.

11. CDaughtry

Here's the problem: I think Stefan has something like 13 slots left for 2008. What he doesn't want to do is make his build times significantly longer. Not wasting your time is one of the reasons he does this. I'm not going to say he's never been late on the delivery of any guitar, but I think the vast majority of D'Pergo owners will tell you that he delivered exactly on time, or in many cases earlier.
    And....I guarantee you. If you ordered a guitar, and something was wrong with it, he'd make it right....NO doubt about that.

Finally...on the added value...the consultation fee is applied toward your guitar purchase. The only way you don't get value for it is if you don't purchase the guitar, after specing it out with him.

12. photoguy

photoguy Member

The only thing that I conclude is that Stefan's business skills are on a par with his guitar making abilities.

13. matte

matte Senior Member

no time? no life.

how can you possibly know stefan's priorities and regards finance and craft? as someone who actually knows stefan quite well, i can assure you that your presumption has no basis in reality.

14. Mowcheeba

Mowcheeba Member

Time is relative, therefore it can not be measured nor valued. Time is not for sale. Stefan is selling bottled time.

Maybe you are right, but I do not have to know him personally to see how he runs his business. It is for all to read on his website.
    I have nothing against Stefan, his guitars looks absolutely gorgeous (Besides the headstock, maybe it grows on you)and the prices are not that bad like some says at least not from a Swedish point of view.

15. DaveF

DaveF Member

:jo

16. SGFan

SGFan Supporting Member

Mowcheeba, you are mistaken in your belief that you need to drop $300 to talk about Stefan's guitars, and all that would have been needed to be done, would have been to call Stefan up and talk to either him or Ava to clarify that. I know this because I did just that. Thats all it took and I had the right information from the horses mouth. And you know what, I liked what I heard so much that I ordered a guitar and filled out a spec sheet. That guitar is due to come to me in the next week or two. Stefan was extremely generous with his time on the phone and always is whenever I have called him throughout the process.

C'mon people . . .

17. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

It's really hard to get any objectivity from this thread.

D'Pergo can charge anything he likes... it's his time and if it means that he can focus his energies into making guitars instead of answering emails and phone calls, then that's his business decision based on what is right for his business.

I'm sure he's also taken into consideration that other fine builders look at it as just plain old part of doing business... customer service, if you will.

His guitars are extremely nice from what I understand, but he has some stiff competition regardless, and charging consultants fees might turn-off some future customers who may not have "black cards" now, but may very well have one the future. First impressions are everything.

I guess time will tell...

18. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...you are going to love your D'Pergo!:BEER

...I certainly love mine...I might get another one...:RoCkIn

19. Mowcheeba

Mowcheeba Member

I might be exaggerating a bit so there is no need get too upset. I can not go into a deeper discussion because it would be too difficult, english not being my mother language.
    If the 300 dollar consulation fees works and keep the wait times down that is great for Stefan and the customers.
    However I feel something gets lost when all is measured in money and time.

I am standing in the road hitchhiking when a man stops and gives me a ride. When he stops 30 minutes later to drop me off he says:
    "Could you contribute a few dollar for the gasolin? I also lost some time stopping and then talking to you instead of planning the future.
    A couple of bucks seems far don't you think?"

A friends friend offer to loan me her apartment for two nights because I am homeless at the moment.
    Sounds great, thank you. Turns out she want 10 Dollar/night.

I driving in country side looking to by two horses.........stops at a place where they sell horses.
    Me - "I am interested in buying two horses"
    Lady- " It will cost you 20 Dollar to look at them, my time is valuable."
    Me- "Than good night and good luck"

Not the same thing but not completely different.........something gets lost that is beyond money and time.

Since this is a GearPage for musicians there is no need to go further in that discussion.

20. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

Actually, many do. I have had the misfortune of paying them.