D'Pergo Vintage Limited

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Gilky, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

After a lot of correspondence and a few conversations with Stefan, I have finally found the D'Pergo I have been searching for. The Gil Yaron strat I recently got is based on a '54 pre-production, ash body maple board and mostly vintage correct. I wanted to balance that with another strat with an alder body and BRW board and a more modern take. It will be available sometime in the Spring, March or April. This one has an offset V transitioning to a C.

A fellow member and great friend took a vacation this spring and was nice enough to let me spend a month with his VL and I knew it was only a matter of time, thanks again Ben. I am extremely excited, check that metallic moss green out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Thats the color I would take, as well. Congrats!

Furilla and Gilky like this.
  3. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

That is stunning, you always have great taste in gear!

Gilky likes this.
  4. Bogner

Bogner Member

Nice! I love the color, very cool.

Gilky likes this.
  5. BenFrantz

BenFrantz Member

My friends here call me the pusher...
    Congrats, Kevin! And to think my wife thought I was a fool when I shipped mine to you when we have never met. Can’t wait to see that in person one day. Along with the rest of your well thought out harem.

fishleehooker and Gilky like this.
  6. Gilky

Yeah Ben, I like your style of peer pressure.

My wife was convinced I had bought it and wouldn't believe me until the day I shipped it back.

We're going to have one hell of a guitar summit one of these days...

7. lennokez

lennokez Supporting Member

I'd be excited too, that guitar looks amazing.
    Neck looks real comfortable running into that heel, would love to try the offset V to C.
    That colour is one of the best. Congrats.

Gilky likes this.
  8. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

Congrats on your 'to be' D'Pergo VL ... BenFrantz's VL looks stunning and since first becoming aware of DP's after joining TGP here, time and chance allowed one to come my way earlier in the year.

Metallic Moss Green is a very cool colour on a DP and as for D'Pergo's really having their own special thing going on, I too am now a believer.

Gilky likes this.
  9. STRATSofPLENTY

STRATSofPLENTY Member

Congrats on the new D’Pergo. I’m sure it will be a wonderful guitar.

Gilky likes this.
  10. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

Congrats! I had a D'Pergo like the one pictured but sold it since I was downsizing at the time. It was an amazing guitar. I'd love to get another one someday.

Gilky likes this.
  11. Alex_S

Alex_S Member

Amazing, you will love it!

Gilky likes this.
  12. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

My buddy's #1 is his D'Pergo. It's #1 out of like 30.

Played his and it is an extremely musical instrument with maximum playability, intonation, even response up and down the fretboard and meticulous build quality/finished. Loved its rounded shoulder fretboard and smoother than silk frets. Tried to find one for reasonable $s (clearly a personal judgment issue), and failed.

Only new Strat style instrument that I know of in the same ballpark is the JG Astrocaster, of which there are only a handful in existence. Dig mine.

But someday, I'll stumble upon one of these D'Pergos. My buddy's is a special instrument! Bet yours is as well.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Gilky likes this.
  13. Gilky

Hey Gold, I appreciate the first hand input. Do you know what model it was, a classic, limited, or signature?

14. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Okay an old man's rant here goes.............. So being 60 years old and a pro guitarist for over 40 years of it as well as a guitar junkie for even more. I've owned over 500 guitars vintage ,new, used etc. Custom Shop Gibson, Hamer,Parker, Benedetto, etc. I've played many of the greatest guitars built from Leo Fender Broadcasters, 1954 Strats, 1959 Les Pauls, D'Angelico, D'Aquisto,Collins,etc....you get the idea.
    I still don't understand how a bolt on guitar can go for over $4k other than for collector investment purposes. While I'm sure Stefan D'Pergo, Gil Yaron, D'Tempple,etc. make incredibly great Fender style guitars, how much does the material actually cost? Even if it's $1K which is high that's minimum of $3k in labor at $4k. And I believe these are quite a bit higher as well.

So let me ask the following ?'s Aside from intrinsic value or just being able to afford one does it actually sound 2-6 x's as good as one the better hand picked Fenders of equal spec? Are the pickups totally hum free? Can you really tell the difference in a studio recording? Does it sustain incredibly acoustically (unplugged)? Is it just the perfect balance wearing it on a strap,seated, weight wise? Have a freind play 3 different Tele/Strat's of all different price points can you tell the difference w/out looking?

I'm not trying to be glib here, but as a pro player I use these tools and look for the best I can find. So if it really is all of the above and more why don't the major players with unlimited $$$ play them? I certainly would if they were available to me no matter what Fender etc. gave me.
    Finally people with resources can buy whatever they like and that's fine. But even Ferrari has quite a reputation to live up to it's asking price. And Car magazines review them and hold them accountable. So I'm hoping you few owners will prove me wrong, and I'll start saving my pennies. Thanks!

15. 56Tweed

56Tweed Member

There are a lot of factors that go into the pricing, but given the wait list many of these builders have I think Supply/Demand is the biggest factor. When you think of the cost of labor, you need to consider that the guitar builders you mentioned are master craftsmen, they are not cheap imports built by unskilled labor. In many cases, these builders are also willing to take the time to talk to you about what it is you are trying to achieve tonally and then guide the build in that direction. Its not just a matter of picking a color and grabbing one off the rack. Having been through the process with a few builders, I feel fortunate enough to have had the option. It is not required to get a good or serviceable guitar.

16. Alex_S

Alex_S Member

Yes to me; no; yes; yes; yes but not so much different; yes;

But anyhow, the whole thing is an age old discussion on premium instruments. Why don’t all the pros use it? There are many aspects like availability all over the world, endorsement contracts, personal preference etc. Dont forget enough pros play different stuff at home and in the studio then you might see them touring with. Also enough play much more expensive vintage stuff. And last but not least it is a matter of taste. DPergos do have a signature sound. I love that and some others do. That doesn’t mean anybody else needs to like that as well. If you search for the exact generic sound of a Strat, a Strat is closer. So money imho is the least important point why pros aren’t so often seen with them. I am sure they are there and used...

17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I'm not trying to pick the age old why they cost so much argument so much . As to does it live up to it's Ferrari type pricing? And obviously you both feel so. and your money well spent. I just see certain luthiers over charging for the same thing you can get from several other equally known excellent luthiers in the archtop world.

Certainly when say James Olsen has the rep and people resell the guitar for way more than they paid him. That I can understand the logic on the luthiers part. It's when it really isn't justified by the market, makes me ? how does it really compare to say a John Suhr, James Tyler, Don Grosh bolt on? Which are premium bolt on guitars already.

Thanks for the discussion!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  18. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

My buddy's was made in like 2006. Do not believe that D'Pergo had multiple versions of his Strat styled instrument. His has an old growth neck with very nice grain, silky finish and rounded shoulder that indent between the frets. Body is a two tone burst on ash. Very traditional look.

jads57, you just have to play one, see if it turns you and and look at your wallet and see if it's in the cards for you...just like any guitar.

Have owned 6 pre-CBS Strats, had one refretted by Joe Glaser (great job), still own three (1957, 1958 and 1964) and my bud's D'Pergo and my Gustavsson Strat style instruments play way better, intone better, have better balance across all registers and sound as musical as any vintage Strat, mine or the dozens others I have played. They are also cheaper than any clean vintage pre-1965 Strat.

We make choices and have different values...example, I wouldn't pay a nickel for a relic instrument, one that has been beaten up to fake age. Some folks love them. When the relic thing started happening, couldn't understand it as I spent significant time and $s of finding clean 1950s and early 1960 instruments...but, many folks dig the vibe or the feel or the look.

19. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I've owned 1954,1957,1964,1965,1967 Fender Strats and a 1953 Fender Esquire over the years . While I loved the early Fenders best especially the larger neck profiles, hated the radius and original frets, 60 cycle hum, and sketchy intonation issues. So to me as a player the newer instruments address a lot of these problems when actually playing these instruments on gigs,studio,etc. I'm not a vintage snob in any way, and don't believe the hype. I've owned way too much of it already to actually know the Fact from Fiction. I've also owned 2 early Dumble OD Specials, and don't get me strated there either,LOL!

20. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

The law of diminishing returns applies. Most serious musicians won't argue that a 6x more expensive instrument makes you sound 6x better. Instead you're paying bigger amounts for smaller incremental improvements. It's up to the buyer to decide what's worth what.

ford, MangoMango, UliM and 2 others like this.