D'Pergo Vintage Limited

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Gilky, Dec 15, 2017.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Sorry but at those prices, that leaves me out. I can't afford to lose on that proposition, and that is exactly why it's important to find out. So people aren't taken in by false claims.
    I'm sure you might argue "Well than basically please but out of this whole thread". In which I would politely say, just because one might have deep pockets also doesn't mean than actually know about guitars or what makes a great one.

TGP forum is where hopefully all people Pros,Amateurs discuss all sorts of gear, and hopefully can add well informed opinions and detail. And while I will agree I probably should use a softer approach in my posts. The claims the Maker/D'pergo states on his websight aren't subtle at all. So my aplogies to the OP if I've offended him/her. My intention is only to see if indeed these are worth the $$$$$$$$$$ And so far all I've learned is a very mixed opinion from various owners.

2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

You don't have to buy one to try it. Don't know where you are, but there might be a Gear Pager in your area that would let you check one out.

3. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Good thought since I live in St.Paul,Mn The Twin Cities! Which is very far from were they are made.

John Hurtt likes this.
  4. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

I understand your point, but you are basically just explaining over and over why it isn't worth it to you and what would need to be done to convince you that it is. I've been on the phone all day trying to convince a round-table of the foremost players and builders to convene for the purpose of determining if they are worth it or not for you. Just kidding, of course :)

I did have the pleasure of being able to spend an extended period of time with one very similar to what I'll be getting so it isn't like I'm just hoping for the best here, I have a very good idea what I'll be getting. I honestly haven't spent much time on their website, I have searched the numerous threads here and elsewhere and reached out to a number of owners (current and past) to get their unbiased opinions. I would also add that just because one has deep pockets doesn't mean they don't know s*&t about guitars either.

BenFrantz and jads57 like this.
  5. Kinucs

Kinucs Supporting Member

Shane S, jads57 and Gilky like this.
  6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up. I messaged the owner on Reverb and hopefully I'll get a chance to try it!

Kinucs and Gilky like this.
  7. Shane S

Shane S Member

Gilky and Kinucs like this.
  8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I'm in contact with the owner, just waiting for weather to warm up a bit ,LOL! Thanks Again!

Shane S likes this.
  9. magnus02

magnus02 Member

If you need a Guitar Player review to talk you into a $12k purchase then I think you need to reevaluate how you evaluate guitars. I've never heard of a more useless gauge of gear. You think TGP reviews are useless bc it's 'rich dudes who can't play' yet biased reviews from paid gear magazines don't mean as much as an honest opinion from David Torn? Right.

And how IN THE WORLD can anyone subjectively prove something via a review of a guitar? It's all opinions and what works for one may be the worst for another. Surely you know that if you're a professional player.

And you need to consider a few things with the pricing. One. They're making all the hardware in-house. That isn't efficient and surely adds many hours of machining parts in small quantities. And maybe, just maybe, these ridiculous luthiers actually value their time and charge high prices for it. All I ever hear about it broke luthiers. I, for one, have no problem with a HIGHLY skilled luthier charging $100+ an hour for their time. I do the same and these guys are probably better at their craft than I am. Regardless I don't think these guys are laughing all the way to their 100 foot yachts at the end of the day.

Another point being, as demand grows for your product which it clearly has for theirs, you can either deal with waitlists or increase prices to offset demand. They clearly didn't start out charging $15k but over time that's what the MARKET determined their value to be so that's where things have settled in order for them to balance orders and output.

And marketing is marketing. It's all silly. If that offends you I hope you don't drive a car bc that Toyota may have claimed to create a driving experience like no other. THE HORROR!!! it's a big scary world of marketing BS but none of the builders you seem to want to stand up for seem to care so... I'll choose not to either.

Hopefully the work that TGP (all those rich idiots who can't play) did in helping you find a local one to play will pay off and you'll arrive at your own informed opinion instead of mouthing off here over and over. But I have a feeling what you'll say after you play one. You seem to not be as unbiased as your Tone Report gurus who usually guide you...

moozak and Alex_S like this.
  10. UliM

UliM Member

I'll add my 2 cents here.
    I have been owning my D'ergo AVL for almost 7 years and during that time, I also owned/played a Tandler Strat, a Ronin Mirari and a Ronin Morningstar. They are all gone, the D'Pergo stays - is it double as good as a Ronin? Nope, but it's the best electric guitar I have ever played.

dlibke56 and sidekick like this.
  11. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

Is that the metallic silver/pink DP I saw posted here on a thread a good while ago? If so, the individuality of the colour really caught my eye.

12. UliM

UliM Member

Yes, that's the one - it's a lefty, Stefan calls the color Rose Mist Metallic

sidekick likes this.
  13. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I've often thought that it would be cool to know a poster's/reviewer's background when he or she is discussing and evaluating instruments (both guitars and amps alike), and then providing commentary in a thread. When I post about "Guitar A" or "Amp B", I almost invariably discuss at least a bit about my history as a player, my gigging experience, my exposure/access to boutique and vintage gear over the years, my experience with the builder/manufacturer/luthier over the years, etc. -- not to brag, but rather so the reader has a point of reference regarding my thoughts and opinions.

And while other owners/users of a similar guitar or amp may think differently about it than me - or others may have different opinions (to which they are certainly entitled) - at least if a reader has a grasp on the knowledge base of a poster, that point of reference may help underpin certain thoughts and opinions and help others gain at least a bit better understanding about certain gear.

Just my $0.02. Sorry if this sidetracked the thread. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming ....

14. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

So here we are at the crux of my original inquiry once again with some of the above posts. And I guess I hopefully will be able to finally try at least one D'Pergo in person.
    As far as the idea of a Guitar Magazine assembling panel of professional known guitarists such as Pete Thorn,etc. to review the instruments. I can't find any other fair solution.

My guess is that I've offended enough people who have bought, as well as bought into the idea they own "The Best Electric Guitar"(bolt on design) available anywhere. Again sorry if you feel my criticism of the D'pergo websight claims are directed at you. Not at all, just the claims being put forth by the maker on his websight.
    And I'm just saying to him if the claims are true, prove it and or change your wording accordingly. To state "among the best available" "strive to make each guitar remarkable" as opposed to each one is as stated.

TGP again should be a discussion amongst all of us to fairly bring critique to all gear. By all players amatuer/professional as well. If not what exactly is the point? To brag about aquisitions, and strictly show off trophies which somehow makes us more special? I understand that to some extent, but even though I might covet your (insert treasure). I'm 60 years old and a pro player that views these things as tools to accomplish a job afterall. Just always looking for the best tool to get it done.

Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  15. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

So my memory served me well! Truly a stunning, (at least to my eye) colour and without doubt a very special guitar to you.

Furilla and UliM like this.
  16. trap

trap Supporting Member

Yeah it does seem over the top to me too. It’s one thing to blow your own horn but it’s another to ”blo” your own horn! Seems like he’s trying to hype himself as the Stradivarius of Strats. The Strativarius?
    I’m sure they are great guitars. Guys seem to love them.
    Maybe a trip up there this summer on the way to Maine.

jads57 and dlibke56 like this.
  17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Usually Geniuses don't need to advertise that fact. And even geniuses make some not good statements or choices at times.

18. jujube

jujube Member

It is almost impossible to prove something is an ultimate Strat since it cannot be benchmarked easily. As we know there are duds and gems in every price range when it comes to Strats.

19. narad

narad Supporting Member

Stradivarius isn't even the Stradivarius of violins when it comes to blind studies and rigorous assessment. Quite a pity that we aren't required to do the same with boutique guitar builders!

I'm sure somebody's D'Pergo is the best guitar they've ever played. But I'm pretty sure that that same D'Pergo would not be the best guitar someone else has ever played, even if they played teh same guitars. And I'm certain, from threads here, that there are some D'Pergos that some owners would find to be faaaar from the best. But that's not going to stop everyone from starting up these threads pretending there's a holy grail out there.

trap likes this.
  20. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

Interesting debate so far, on what no doubt looks like a valid attempt to build the ultimate S-style guitar.

So here is my take, and it is perhaps superficial but it works for me: when it comes to new S-style guitars, there is an upper price limit. Yes, diminishing return and all that. But the maximum I would spend on a new S-style is 7k.

Above that, only for vintage pieces, and not because they are necessarily better, but because eventually I may resell them, and they tend to hold their value better than new guitars.

guitarpedaladdict and Joe Perry like this.