• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

DR 9.5’s. Dead low E

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
I recently restrung a guitar with a set of DR 9.5’s. The low E had no zing at all, totally lifeless. To be fair the strings are several years old.

I’m going to change strings again. I’m hoping there is nothing wrong with the guitar.....

Bonedance

Let DR know. I had a set of DR acoustic strings where the same thing happened. I wrote them and they were most gracious in resolving the problem.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Round core strings? Put a right angle bend and chop beyond that if you cut to size before putting string on post. They will most likely replace it if you let them know.

Tri7/5

DR strings are problematic, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about the guitar having problems yet. Put some good strings on it.
This, a great set sounds great but their QC is all over the place. Bad intonation, dead strings, you name it. Stopped using them years ago since only like 1 of 10 packs was ever "right". I'm namely speaking of the pure blues sets.

Julio Iguana

ditto. went thru a lot of brands and I'm back to reg slinkies 10-46 and every set has been good for last couple of years.

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
I was a Snake Oil Strings user and really liked the sound and feel. I’ve been trying different brands to try and get close. As others mentioned when they (DR) work they can be good. I just put a set of Daddario 9.5’s and the guitar sounds great. I’m not buying the DRs again.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
Not casting aspersions but I've never had a "bad" DR string, but I always do the right angle bend in the wrap before installing, like you must do with any round core strings. I wonder if this little detail is responsible for many of the claims of bad strings.
Al

Gig Young

I Believe in Beeracles
Platinum Supporting Member
although I thought they sounded better and they did, I stopped using DR's after getting several bad stings w the intonation was way off.

It was usually the A or D string I recall

Rick51

Not casting aspersions but I've never had a "bad" DR string, but I always do the right angle bend in the wrap before installing, like you must do with any round core strings. I wonder if this little detail is responsible for many of the claims of bad strings.
Al
Oddly, I've never had problems with other brands, and I've been playing over 50 years.

Almost all of those posting above have problems with DR, you are the only one who does not have problems. You are claiming your stringing skills as the reason, but I think you're just lucky.

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
Oddly, I've never had problems with other brands, and I've been playing over 50 years.

Almost all of those posting above have problems with DR, you are the only one who does not have problems. You are claiming your stringing skills as the reason, but I think you're just lucky.
I am not the only one who has said he didn't have those problems with the DR's, there have been others.
Al

MusicalMan

The issues I would get with DRs was the ball would come off the unwound strings. I use 10s and tune to standard FYI. As well, I have Les Pauls so that’s what I’m working with.

Now they weren’t doing this with my Floyd guitars... although I cut the ball end off so not a fair comparison. But I have to add the strings didn’t sound anything awful. It was the quality that bugged me.

TheDropout

ive been looking for a new string to get when my blues run out. anyone got any nickel recommendations? preferably ones that can be bought in bulk.

Trending Topics